As dogs get older, do they require less walks?

oriondw

user not active
Im pondering on this. Last few months if I walk my pup alot in the morning he doesnt want to go outside at night. If i walk him alot in night he doesnt want to walk in the morning.

And alot I mean 1.5 hours, which really the usual time for us.

We used to go on 2-3 of those walks per day when he was younger, now he just wants to go outside and watch squirls or play inside with me :)

Maybe its his allergies affecting his activity? Hmn... A week or so till we get vaccine synthysized.

Any input.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
I think it really just depends on the dog and the breed! Gustav is nearly 4 now but will happily walk ALL day long!!! I mean you can literally NEVER wear this dog out!!
On the other hand I know a Beagle called Benson who will NOT walk! He HATES and I mean seriously HATES to go out!! His owners have to pretend that they are taking him out in the car and drive the 2 minutes to the park and then throw him out!! And if it's raining you can even forget a car ride!! lol!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
IN Mary's case and she is 12 it is paramount that i keep her up and moving when she would rather be lazy and lie about in the sun. She has arthritis and likes to be a couch potato. If i keep her weight down and make sure she gets excerise she isn't near as stiff and it she can have a bit more food which makes her happy. You put half a cup or only a cup down and she looks at you like you don't love her anymore, there is no way to explain that it is the way it has to be. If i get occupied for a few days i can see the difference in how she moves. I also never ever let her rest on the floor. Since i have arthritis myself i know a bit about how she feels.
Forgot to ad that good excericise ensures that their digestion moves properly as well...as well as their circulation. It isn't good for anyone to just sit around.

Allergies can greatly affect how much activity he's going to feel like, Orion, and these guardians are really geared for spending a great deal of time lying around patiently watching with spurts of activity.

When Shiva and Kharma come to work with me and don't get uninterrupted nap time during the day, they're more than ready to crash and burn at night after a couple of sessions of Riot Grrrrls Wrestling, and Kharma just turned two years old the 19th of this month. As they mature, they seem to settle in to their natural life rhythms.

Midnite is 10 years old and she still loves to go for her walks. She has tons of energy but at the end of the day she's pooped out. Like others have said it depends on the dog.​

Members online

No members online now.