This dog is sooo pretty!

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I think I would still call her a sable, but I know there's a lot of debate about hounds vs sable. My Mia is a hound tri but she's about the darkest hound I've ever seen. Mia's body patch is solid black like a true tricolor.

Okay so hound tri is essentially a creeping tan pattern like seen in beagles, etc (hence the hound), right? Mia started out looking like a traditional tricolor but her tan spread over her whole face.

I often use Brandi's site for colors. I also use Aleda-Letit's color site a lot too.
I really don't care how dark whatever is although if you do part that particular dog's coat it is black in the base of the blanket pattern. As far as I'm concerned... if it's got a blanket. Hound tri. Just like if it has a bit of black in the coat it's a sable not a red. I've got a bitch here that is a minimalistic tri. The only way I know she's a tri and not a black and white is you can see a very tan line next to her mouth and her feet freckles are tan.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah that's what I meant by creeping tan.

I guess what I'm confused about is when on Brandi's page it was talking about hound she keeps referring to solid black body patching. Like when she is describing Carrie

"This is also considered a tri Papillon. Many breeders will refer to this color as Hound Tri while some will refer to it as Sable. This color occurs when the classic tan markings on a tri color Papillon spread out leaving most of the head and sometimes all of the head tan in color, but the body spots will remain black. On a true sable the body markings will have sabling within them as well instead of remaining black. A hound tri Papillon is labeled White, Black and Tan just as a classic tri would be. Photo taken at 8 months. "

To me your girl's saddle looks sabled all the way through. Or is that just the pic?

It's very interesting though to me. Thanks for taking the time to explain things!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I really don't care how dark whatever is although if you do part that particular dog's coat it is black in the base of the blanket pattern. As far as I'm concerned... if it's got a blanket. Hound tri. Just like if it has a bit of black in the coat it's a sable not a red. I've got a bitch here that is a minimalistic tri. The only way I know she's a tri and not a black and white is you can see a very tan line next to her mouth and her feet freckles are tan.
There's a lot of discrepancies in what people call colors. The 'hound' markings are also seen in border collies and they're called saddled there but are considered sable. However in paps the saddled coloration is considered tricolor? Just seems like there's no real standard nomenclature.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Yeah that's what I meant by creeping tan.

I guess what I'm confused about is when on Brandi's page it was talking about hound she keeps referring to solid black body patching. Like when she is describing Carrie

"This is also considered a tri Papillon. Many breeders will refer to this color as Hound Tri while some will refer to it as Sable. This color occurs when the classic tan markings on a tri color Papillon spread out leaving most of the head and sometimes all of the head tan in color, but the body spots will remain black. On a true sable the body markings will have sabling within them as well instead of remaining black. A hound tri Papillon is labeled White, Black and Tan just as a classic tri would be. Photo taken at 8 months. "

To me your girl's saddle looks sabled all the way through. Or is that just the pic?

It's very interesting though to me. Thanks for taking the time to explain things!
If you're lucky enough to get a spot on the blanket. Yeah, it'll be black. But there is alot of blanket variation in the color hound tri.

All three of these german shepherds are "hound tri" or black and tan in that breed.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
There's a lot of discrepancies in what people call colors. The 'hound' markings are also seen in border collies and they're called saddled there but are considered sable. However in paps the saddled coloration is considered tricolor? Just seems like there's no real standard nomenclature.
Between breeds you're absolutely right, they have their own names for just about everything. Happily it doesn't really matter for our breed so long as the lips and nose are black and the markings are on.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Between breeds you're absolutely right, they have their own names for just about everything. Happily it doesn't really matter for our breed so long as the lips and nose are black and the markings are on.
Yep! I have had papillon people tell me Summer was a red and white when she's really a clear sable. I guess it really comes down to each person's opinion.

Mia's only got one body patch (other than a few ticks). She has a LOT more black on her face than most hounds I've met.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Yep! I have had papillon people tell me Summer was a red and white when she's really a clear sable. I guess it really comes down to each person's opinion.

Mia's only got one body patch (other than a few ticks). She has a LOT more black on her face than most hounds I've met.

She is very dark. If you imagine her as a solid colored dog she's probably look alot like this GSD

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
She is very dark. If you imagine her as a solid colored dog she's probably look alot like this GSD

She is the darkest I've ever met by quite a bit. I really love the darker pattern but I'm a bit biased. ;)

Okay one other question is how long do you expect hounds to fade? She started out looking like a traditional/classic tri then faded to the point she is now. Will she fade much more?

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I'm told the red reaches it's max by 2 years old. When River was born she looked black and white, within 3 days the brown started appearing, when she was 3 weeks old she clearly was a different color than her sable sisters, and by 4 months her blanket pattern appeared. Between 1 year and 2 years is when she really got red.

eta: I've got no color bias. I love a pretty papillon, no matter what the color or pattern. So I have 3 colors of the spectrum bouncing around here.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Mia looked like a normal tri up until about 5 1/2 months old. She's 15 months old and hasn't lightened up nearly as much as I initially expected. (Not that I'm complaining) She probably hasn't faded since about 8 or 9 months.

Her siblings are all much lighter than her.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
if her genetic blanket is that big she's probably done then. Only gray to look forward to.

This is my Booker. In my eyes the prettiest papillon on the planet. He'll never be a show dog or a stud but he is my heartbeat at my feet. I do not look forward to my therapy bills when I have to say goodbye to him.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
He's precious! What a sweet face. I want a black and white very badly! Right now we have 4 red sables and then Mia is our oddball. They're great dogs.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Booker was my first, then I thought he needed a friend when I was at work so I got Misty who is my minimal tri. Then I got Misty's half brother Bodie who is a raging classic Tri, and then I bred Misty to a little sable guy from Canada and got the four girl puppies who were 3 sables and a hound tri out of which I kept Rain who is a sable. I still haven't found the stud dog who has met my standards yet so my inn is open for one more if I can find him. Any Color, he just has to be the right dog.

This is my Rain. The crazy little girl she is.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Awww! This is my little heart girl, Summer.

Our first was beau. We showed him but ended up neutering him just last week. Same problem, never found a suitable bitch.

Then we have Rose, her sister:

And Bernard and Beau:

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
One day I'll find my stud dog. One day.... lol. I have a feeling I'll be flying to Germany or Sweden to fetch him but I will find him. I'm in no hurry happily. My six dogs keep me pretty busy.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Sweden would be nice. They have some amazing dogs out there.
Yes, there are some nice Swedish dogs. It's hard to get referrals to buy from them though, and sometimes the language barrier is a bit much. I think I'd have a lot better luck in Germany but odds are I'll find the dog I'm after in Canada. There are a few breeders that way who have some UK/German line combos I'm very interested in.

Members online

No members online now.