What gender should I get?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I currently have a 13 year old Cocker Spaniel named Trusty and a 3 year old Dachshund, Buster.

My family and I decided on getting another dog, which would be a Weimaraner. From what I read they are supposed to be great loving and affectionate dogs. Very smart and beautiful too.

I'm not really sure if getting a another male or female dog would be a better choice. None of my family cares if the dog is a male or female. My mom only wants a male more than a female because she never had a female dog before and isn't sure of the differences in temperament.

Any suggestions would be very helpful!

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
I never understood the differences.

I kind of consider myself very knowledgable about breeds cause of all the research I do on them but I don't know what differences there would be between gender in Weimaraners.

Since I'm more of a GSD expert because I have one, the research I gathered says that females or more apt to protect usually a single person that they're around most and loved most. In my case, if Rocky were to be female it would protect me more than anything.

Whereas males are more apt to protect myself and my dad AND the territory he lives in.

But I have trouble believing this because Rocky is extremely protective of me more than my dad. But I think the research was right about territory...

From what I've gathered about females and males in general would be that, females are a lot more easy going and less stubborn than males.

Males can be hard headed and they are also very territorial.

In my humble opinion, it doesn't matter. :)

Good luck though.

gapeach

Big Mutts
Welcome to Chazhound! I don't know if it really makes a difference. Every dog is different, no matter what the gender. We always had girls and then my Smokey we had was our first boy. They all have their own personalities. Do you plan on spaying or neutering? If not, then there would be a difference.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm not really sure if we would spay or neuter but I guess that would be a possibility. My two dogs are both neutrued but I never had it done. Both dogs were adopted.

I always felt it was wrong to do that to a dog, because I'd hate for anyone to do that to me. But I read that it does make the dog a little more calmer.

The sooner you can spay or neuter the better to fend off their feral instincts. These boys and girls are already a domesticated animal and the best thing you can do is fix them so they don't prolong the feral instinct and ways of life (being aggressive, looking for mates, etc.). We've already domesticated them, so do them a favor...

gapeach

Big Mutts
I too, would suggest spaying or neutering, there are plenty of dogs out there that need homes already. :( Carey is a girl, she would protect any member of our family but you can tell she is my dog. Follows me into every room. But Smokey was a male and did the same thing.

Saje

Island dweller
I think if they are both male it would be better to get a female. I think with most species it's easier to bond 'couples' than anything else.

Have you thought about checking for a Weim rescue?

I've always found male dogs to be more easy going than females. Right now I've got two female Filas and a male GSD/wolf cross. All my GSDs before him have been males as well. It wasn't planned, as they were rescues, but it did work out that way. The males just seem to take things as they come. Judy and Gary, the breeders we got our Kharma from, have found their male Filas to be more laid back than the females and less apt to make a big deal over nothing. But it is going to vary with the individual dog.

candy722

I think females are much more dependent to their owners. Male dogs are more independent. Renee I agree male dogs are just way laid back than females. Sometimes I worry that TOki will be easy to be robbed just because his too laid back.

Doberluv

I agree that since you already have a male, a female would be the best choice. Two of the same sex sometimes fight, but I think it's more risky with two males...or more likely. I agree too, that which ever you decide, it should be neutered or spayed if it's to be a pet. It makes them easier to deal with behaviorally and it prevents some serious cancers and so forth.

That being said, there are very slight differences in SOME breeds regarding temperament in males vs. females. Sometimes those differences don't make a difference at all. LOL. With Dobes, "they" say that females are more independent and affectionate, yes....but on their own terms, when they feel like it. Males are more in your face, all the time, affectionate and more steady... not moody. Females may be a little more stubborn to train, but may have a better attention span than males when they are training. I talked to many breeders and some preferred males, saying they were just so terribly affectionate. Some didn't notice much difference. That was with Dobes.

So, all in all, I doubt that there will be anything you'd notice that way. I've had different breeds and both sexes. And I love them both, equally and don't see females as being less affectionate or more or less dependent. I think it too depends more on the individual dog, not so much sex or breed. My little girl Chi is not an independent dog. My male dogs are also not very independent. They all are big spoiled babies. Well, the Dobe is the only one who's big. LOL. My female Lab was more independent, but I think that was just her, maybe partly her breed. The Doberman tends to be so extremely "into" their owner that they appear to be dependent.

Swiftwind

Harley & Abby
I would suggest that you get a female dog, as you already have a male. Your male dog/s could become really territorial with a new male in the house. If you get a male your dog/s may feel threatened and try to defend their place/rank within your household. Saying that, your dogs could be completely fine with a new male, but it's hard to tell. I would also suggest that when you get your new dog that you neuter him/her.

Watts

Work's been really busy lately, so i haven't been on here in a while, but i figured i'd chime in.

I have a male weim, but i do have some experience with both sexes. I've met 3 or 4 female weims, and a bunch of male weims. They all generally have the same temperment, but to me, and my fiance, we both think the female weims are just more....well.....girly. They seem sweeter, more lovey, more willing to just hang out and be calm. Whereas the males seem more curious, more playful, maybe a little more rambunctious, and just i don't know, tougher? Don't get me wrong, these differences are very small and most people wouldnt' see them, but owning one, you can see them. They're both still weimaraners with all their adorable traits and annoying habits. I just seems that the females we've been around are just girly. All the ones we've met haven't been more than 3 years old, so that's still fairly young. But, that's what we noticed. When we eventually get another Weim, it'll be a girl, just to coincide with Wrigley. Sorry so late on the post, just thought i could help if you hadn't already made you decision. Feel free to PM me with any Weim questions when you get your new pup, if you haven't already. Wrigely is now 8 months old and doing awesome. This winter we're gonna enroll him in K9 college. An obediance class. Not that he really needs it, but we could use some help in a few areas. Anyway, good luck! Not to be discouraging, but you're gonna have your hands full for awhile! But it's all worth it.

Members online

No members online now.