Jackson is the Star of a Water Safety Awareness video

JacksonsMom

... okay, so I cheated a little. That's because it's for my own nonprofit.

As most of you know, I am the co founder of the Connor Cares Foundation, along with my mom of course, and others, in honor of my little brother who passed away in 2006 due to a preventable drowning at a country club pool.

I wanted to make a cute video, that kids could enjoy, and adults alike... you know how animals are always going viral! Jackson is such a star as it is, Mr. Diva, so he really enjoyed making it & I hope you enjoy watching it.

Visit Home - connorcaresfoundation for more information.

Also, it would mean the WORLD to me if if could go 'LIKE' our Facebook page (if you haven't already): http://www.facebook.com/connorcaresfoundation

Thx for watching, every view, like, share, counts!

[youtube]yZM1QJXTms0[/youtube]

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Way to go jackson. High five to your little paw.
THanks to our local Ymca making it possible for me to bring a couple of my grandsons as wella s Hyia, all have devleoped a love for the pool and are becoming stronger swimmers. Jory could swim by himself if he would just part with the vest, but emotionally he isn't ready yet. Aiden who is 3 can get just about anywhere with the vest, is kicking his arms and legs enough to power a small city. He is eyeballing the other kids not wearing a vest and watches Hyia dip and divve (she is a living seal) with great envy. I hope to have him in swimming lessons soon. I don't think it will take him long at all. I will always be grateful to the Y for making this affordable for us.
Thank you for sharing your important message and making Jackson such an entertaining messenger.

Last edited:

krissy

Jackson was great! Love all his tricks and videos!

I almost drowned as a young child at a wave pool. We were in the very shallow end because neither my mom nor I could swim. But when the inner tube flipped, I was small enough that I got sucked into deeper water, so when my mom surfaced she couldn't find me. There were too many people so she had no idea where I was and couldn't see me under the water. She said all she really remembers was screaming at the lifeguard... who I don't think did a whole lot. I ended up climbing up some lady's legs spluttering and confused and scared. I was enrolled in swimming lessons a few weeks later. I'm still a miserable swimmer and would definitely drown if I couldn't swim to safety within a minute or so. I always wear a life jacket. I'm anal about it but some people don't understand. When we go out on the BF's parents' boat myself and the dogs are the only ones wearing our life jackets. They say "we'll put them on if we need to". To me that's like saying "I'll put on my seatbelt if I need it".

One suggestion thou, if I may. I'm a fast reader and even I had to pause the video once or twice to finish reading some of the longer blurbs. It would be helpful if the longer text stayed on screen a little longer. :) But otherwise it was great! Cute but very informative.

JacksonsMom

Jackson was great! Love all his tricks and videos!

I almost drowned as a young child at a wave pool. We were in the very shallow end because neither my mom nor I could swim. But when the inner tube flipped, I was small enough that I got sucked into deeper water, so when my mom surfaced she couldn't find me. There were too many people so she had no idea where I was and couldn't see me under the water. She said all she really remembers was screaming at the lifeguard... who I don't think did a whole lot. I ended up climbing up some lady's legs spluttering and confused and scared. I was enrolled in swimming lessons a few weeks later. I'm still a miserable swimmer and would definitely drown if I couldn't swim to safety within a minute or so. I always wear a life jacket. I'm anal about it but some people don't understand. When we go out on the BF's parents' boat myself and the dogs are the only ones wearing our life jackets. They say "we'll put them on if we need to". To me that's like saying "I'll put on my seatbelt if I need it".

One suggestion thou, if I may. I'm a fast reader and even I had to pause the video once or twice to finish reading some of the longer blurbs. It would be helpful if the longer text stayed on screen a little longer. :) But otherwise it was great! Cute but very informative.
Wow, how scary! I am sure that stuck with you forever. Wave pools are where alot of drownings occur too. It really can happen so fast. It's not kicking and screaming like you see on TV. It's a big combination of everything really... parents not paying attention, lifeguards not really taking the job seriously, lack of training. A lot of these pool companies are just so desperate to hire anyone for barely minimum wage, so these teenagers are usually more inclined to get a tan than actually watch the kids. Not all, of course. We've come across some fantastic lifeguards. And it's not the kids fault, the training is often not up to par. I won't get into our case, but a lot of things went wrong that day (my parents weren't there) and we did win a lawsuit against the pool company for negligence.

Even the strongest swimmer can still drown. No one is ever fully 'drownproof'. So the lifejacket on boat thing is really important IMO. I knew a guy who was out drinking, fell off the boat, and they found his body days later. :(

It's just something I'm really passionate about, because so many people think it won't happen to them.

And thank you for the video tip; I was worried about that, eek, should've added a few more seconds to the frames, I definitely will next time!

JacksonsMom

Aw, I love Jackson!! He's so cute and smart! I loved him turning off the faucet :p
Haha, thanks. He learned that in like 60 seconds, I was pleasantly surprised because usually he gets a bath in there, so for the first 30 seconds, he was like "oh god no" but then he saw the clicker and treats and went "OH?!" haha...

I was trying to get him to learn how to shut the toilet as well but it would've taken too long (he didn't like the banging noise) and I wanted to make the video, lol

JacksonsMom

Way to go jackson. High five to your little paw.
THanks to our local Ymca making it possible for me to bring a couple of my grandsons as wella s Hyia, all have devleoped a love for the pool and are becoming stronger swimmers. Jory could swim by himself if he would just part with the vest, but emotionally he isn't ready yet. Aiden who is 3 can get just about anywhere with the vest, is kicking his arms and legs enough to power a small city. He is eyeballing the other kids not wearing a vest and watches Hyia dip and divve (she is a living seal) with great envy. I hope to have him in swimming lessons soon. I don't think it will take him long at all. I will always be grateful to the Y for making this affordable for us.
Thank you for sharing your important message and making Jackson such an entertaining messenger.
Awww that's great! We've been providing some scholarships for swimming lessons in Baltimore City for kids who can't afford it. I can't stress the important of at least knowing how to swim... it's better if you learn young too.

At 3, I definitely wouldn't worry about the vest. My sister is 5, and has taken swimming lessons, and is going into more this winter, but she is still more comfortable with floaty wings on. We hope by next summer though, they will be gone.

Airn

That is awesome. Jackson never stops amazing me :)

Also, it's very inspriing what you and your family have done because of your brother's passing. You've definitely brought this problem to my attention. I grew up around a lake and I was also surprised at how many of my friends (as a child and as an adult) don't know how to swim.

I hope to see Jackson in more videos!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
If it wasn't for a lab I had named Charlie I would not be here. I am a strong swimmer, but I was pg, and it was so hot that I went down to the pond on the farm alone. It was a fresh water pond and one of fair size. I cramped up but bad and not a soul could hear me, except the dog who got me out. It can happen to anyone is right.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Love the video and Jackson in it makes you want to watch it. I will be sharing it on facebook.

Members online

No members online now.