Do dog trainers have a look?

Dekka

Just try me..
If you had to play a dog trainer on tv how would you go about portraying one?

Romy

Taxiderpy
Is set it in a classroom setting? Or is it just a general, "this character is a dog trainer for a living," as they go about their business?

When working, most trainers I know put on semi nice khakis or corduroy type pants, and a button up shirt or polo shirt of some sort. Maybe wearing a treat bag, and a whistle/clicker around the neck. The whistle was for cuing the handlers in in big classroom settings and not the dogs.

Maxy24

I generally envision a woman, hair pulled back in a pony tail, sneakers, jeans, and either a solid colored T-Shirt or a long sleeved shirt with a polar fleece vest over it. Plus a treat bag on the hip.

I have no idea why lol.

Sekah

The Monster.
Overweight, uptight white woman wearing stretchy black pants with disheveled hair. :)

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
If you go by the trick thread then PJ's seem to be the 'look' trainers have
This is totally what I was going to say LOL.

My training garb is jeans and a t-shirt, usually sneakers but I have been known to show up in flip-flops (I try not to but sometimes I forget... whoops.) I don't carry a treat pouch or clicker on me when I'm teaching classes. I do have a clicker in my purse haha, but it's not on my person. Maybe half the time I pull my hair up into a ponytail, but I do that any time I'm getting down to business working on something, including when I'm intending to draw for a while. Headband too haha. When I want to focus on something I don't want to be messing with my hair and bangs getting in my face.

So I guess jeans and a t-shirt would probably be safe? And some kind of sensible looking shoes, unless you're Victoria Stillwell.

CaliTerp07

I generally envision a woman, hair pulled back in a pony tail, sneakers, jeans, and either a solid colored T-Shirt or a long sleeved shirt with a polar fleece vest over it. Plus a treat bag on the hip.

I have no idea why lol.
This, exactly. Every obedience trainer/trick trainer I've met has fit this image.

The agility instructors are the same but swap out jeans for athletic pants or shorts.

Dekka

Just try me..

I have no idea why lol.
Count me in this one too! I have no idea why lol. I don't think I have any vests these days. Hmm do you think a hoodie would work (its going to be outside)

I need to LOOK like a dog trainer, as if I played one on TV :)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
t-shirt with some quirky dog saying, black leggings/other athletic pant, sneakers, treat pouch lol that's how I usually envision them!

One of the trainers I work with has about 10000 quirky dog t-shirts lol I think clients give them to her as gifts as well but she has so many and I love that she always wears them to work!
My favorite one is "SPEAK HAPPILY AND CARRY A BIG CLICK" lol it has a picture of a clicker on it!

milos_mommy

Most trainers here wear khakis/cargo pants and polo shirts or a t-shirt, polar fleece is a common sight, men with short hair or women with a ponytail...lots of the female dog trainers here are overweight, although that's less common in NYC. A lot of them carry backpacks, too.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
If they are wearing jeans.. the jeans never seem to fit right lol
Perhaps its just my luck but I've never met a dog trainer with properly fitted jeans.
ALWAYS too long..sometimes too short, cut in weird ways..just never quite flattering for their bodies.
All the dog trainers I've worked with are in great shape and look amazing in athletic apparel but there is something about jeans lol call it a crazy coincidence but because of that I always picture these weird jeans in "the look"

I hate seeing jeans drag on the floor. I hate it so much. I'm trying to focus and my brain keeps chanting "tailor..tailor..get..a..tailor.. hems are like $10 for the love of.."

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
I wear sneakers and jeans (I'm not a sweatpants person anyway), nice-ish shorts in the summer (jean or gray khaki). Usually hoodies (no need for a treat pouch then!), or t-shirts, and bait bag when needed. I hate putting treats in my actual pants pockets. Tank tops if it's super hot, and even then, only really when I'm running agility. I try to look somewhat decent with I'm with a client.

Oh, and I do have a vest that I wear on occasion, but it's a bummer because no one around here knows the training club (I got it with my club in TX, which has since disbanded anyway...). It's a puffy vest with nice, deep pockets hahahaha. I love it :p

ETA - My jeans actually fit me HAHAHA. But I'm a bit of a jean-junkie as it is. I LIVE in them.

And my hair is generally pulled back, but sometimes just part up in a clip or with a headband or something. I also ALWAYS have makeup on and carry around lint rollers so that I don't look like I wash my clothes in dog hair :p

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I have no idea why lol.
What Maxy said.

Members online

No members online now.