Bus monitor not pressing charges

yoko

Here's the story:
http://www.myabc50.com/news/local/s...itor-doesn-t-want/GRGnDtZF90C-WbX8PqrspQ.cspx

This link has the original video. There's quite a bit of cussing so you are warned if you watch it:
http://us995.cbslocal.com/2012/06/2...errorized-by-students-might-get-happy-ending/

Ok the kids are getting death threats and thats a bit much. But I really don't feel too bad for these kids who are now 'depressed' because of the situation. It may be wrong but now these kids know how that lady and anyone else they terrorized felt.

I was hoping personally there would be charges brought against them. Now they'll just be getting a slap on the wrist from their school.

What is everyone else's feelings on the situation?

BostonBanker

I think the kids need to be taken out back and have some sense beaten into them by their parents.

But I really have zero tolerance for bullying. I think depression is the least those kids should be feeling for their behavior.

I think the kids need to be taken out back and have some sense beaten into them by their parents.

But I really have zero tolerance for bullying. I think depression is the least those kids should be feeling for their behavior.
:thumbup: Of course, if their parents were the type to do this, those kids wouldn't be the bullies they are.
Actually, often those bullying are the ones being bullied by others (which yes, being "beaten" by parents is most definitely bullying)...how they learn it.

While these kids DEFINITELY were wrong, seriously...BEATING them is the answer????

Aleron

IMO it seems that justice has been served in form of public action. The woman received quite a bit of money in donations, nationwide support for what she went through and the kids have been shown through the general public's direction and indirect response to them that this sort of behavior is wrong and will not be tolerate. Seems far better and far quicker than anything the court system could have provided, even in the best case scenario.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
I think they should do some volunteer work--either for the bus monitor, or another worthy person(s) who they may have tormented. My kids would be her slave for a year--no kidding. And work could be listening to her tell stories, or it could be yard work. My purpose would be for the kids to learn respect, and that people have stories, and lives and that judging someone and picking on them is never ok.

BostonBanker

As someone who was bullied in a similar fashion as a child/young teen, I seriously doubt she wants those kids in her yard, in her house, or anywhere near her again. Any respect they show will be false, and she knows it.

yoko

As someone who was bullied in a similar fashion as a child/young teen, I seriously doubt she wants those kids in her yard, in her house, or anywhere near her again. Any respect they show will be false, and she knows it.
In one interview I read she said one came by and apologized but she said it didn't feel sincere and he was saying it because he had to and not because he was.

She then said another boy's parents had contacted her asking if he could come over and she did say she didn't want to see them again.

^Uh huh. The bullying stopped by high school, but I can sill fully feel what you're saying. I wouldn't want those kids around me. In fact, I could only watch about 2 mons of the video, and I could feel my rage building. I wonder if these little sh**cake brats would talk to their own grandmothers like that.

Grab

I don't believe in physical discipline, but I do hope that all of them are facing serious (nonphysical) consequences at home. I'd be so, so horrified if I learned my child had acted that way. I do think that facing some sort of legal consequence, even if it resulted in community service, would perhaps have a more lasting effect in their minds.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
To me the answer is fairly simple - can't follow the student code of conduct - being a bully- abusing the staff? You don't get to come back. Consider your sorry ass expelled.

While I understand that middleschoolers are some of the cruelest kids around to me this is 90% parenting FAIL. It wouldn't have even occurred to me at this age that you could talk to anyone - let alone an adult like this.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
I guess my experiences were different--bullying made me stand up for myself-I'd have loved to have a bully at my house doing my work. Of course, I assume they'd need to be supervised while doing whatever work was decided upon--no opportunity for continued disrespect, and perhaps a lesson to be learned. While it may be unrealistic--it is likely what I would do if my kids behaved this way. You bet I didn't let my kids get away with disrespecting others.

BostonBanker

I guess my experiences were different--bullying made me stand up for myself-I'd have loved to have a bully at my house doing my work. Of course, I assume they'd need to be supervised while doing whatever work was decided upon--no opportunity for continued disrespect, and perhaps a lesson to be learned. While it may be unrealistic--it is likely what I would do if my kids behaved this way. You bet I didn't let my kids get away with disrespecting others.
I think in the long term it did for me as well, but back then, it just made me shut down. Even now as an adult, when I would handle new "abuse" very differently, I'm not sure how I'd react to seeing the people who were the bullies when I was a kid. I'm great now at staying very calm and just not giving people anything to bounce their anger or aggression off of, but I'm not sure I'd be nice.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
To me the answer is fairly simple - can't follow the student code of conduct - being a bully- abusing the staff? You don't get to come back. Consider your sorry ass expelled.

While I understand that middleschoolers are some of the cruelest kids around to me this is 90% parenting FAIL. It wouldn't have even occurred to me at this age that you could talk to anyone - let alone an adult like this.
I disagree with expelling them, cause it's exactly what they WANT. To be expelled enough that "hey look, I don't have to go to school!"

I also disagree with whoever said the parents should beat them to teach them a lesson. Then again, I'm a full believer in violence never being the answer.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I think that they should be kicked off the bus for a looooong time. If you're an asshat on the bus you don't ride the bus and your parents have to move heaven and earth to figure out how to get you to and from school. They also should be kept out of all extra curricular actives for a long time--no sports, no dances, no clubs, nothing. All to be followed up with many hours of community service.....

I think that they should be kicked off the bus for a looooong time. If you're an asshat on the bus you don't ride the bus and your parents have to move heaven and earth to figure out how to get you to and from school.
THIS. Absolutely a hundred percent.

It punishes the kid (by removing the opportunity to bully further in the same environment) and the parents (who now have to find alternate transportation and will be less inclined to ignore the fact that they screwed up too).

Having seen the video, I will say that I would be absolutely HORRIFIED to find out that my child did something like this, and am livid to see some of the parents' reactions (kids will be kids haha!). Bullsh*t kids will be kids. These children and their parents should be ashamed of themselves.

Brattina88

I only watched about 2mins of the video and it made me sick to my stomach....
With that being said, if that happened here, they would've called the police and stopped the bus and let the police handle it. Trust me, I was on a school bus when something like that happened. It should've been stopped right then and there, punishment after the fact never seems as effective. IMHO. That poor lady

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
I swear, my children would be too terrified to come home if I found out they did that. They would be sentenced to long months of very hard labour and no privileges. Asshats is right!

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I disagree with expelling them, cause it's exactly what they WANT. To be expelled enough that "hey look, I don't have to go to school!"

I also disagree with whoever said the parents should beat them to teach them a lesson. Then again, I'm a full believer in violence never being the answer.
Being expelled doesn't mean you don't have to go to school. It just means you have to go to school somewhere else. It means odds are new school, new friends, and a little bit of inconvenience and shame along with it. When someone screwed up when I was in school it usually caused you to have to spend a year or two either being homeschooled, at the alternative school, at the school in the local juv hall, or the next district over.

Members online

No members online now.