Lagotto Romagnolo

Doberluv

I had never heard of this breed until I watched that show on Animal Planet, Dogs, 101. (I think that's the title) Anyhow, I was quite interested in this dog. Aparently, it is actually the foundation of all water dogs, such as Poodles, Portugese water dogs etc. It's a very ancient breed....very interesting history, what is known of it, anyhow. What I like is that it has few health issues, being quite a rare breed. (of course, that's now....until byb come out of the wood work) It sounds like the perfect dog for me all except it's love of digging. One would need to make a very enticing sand box just for the dog or let them dig out in the woods. Anyhow...I thought this breed is very cute and wanted to share. :)

Lagotto Romagnolo Information and Pictures, Lagotto Romagnolos

Lagotto Romagnolo, Lagotto Romagnolos, Breed

Lagotto Club of America

Doberluv

They're cute too. But when I read about their temperament, it sounds a little different. They sound like more territorial or "protective." They were also a herding dog, unlike the Logotto, which is more of a tracking/sniffing dog. One thing I'd have trouble with in either of these is grooming. I'm not into grooming. But have had visions of a poodle dancing in my head for some time. I guess I'd want to learn to clip them myself if I were to ever get one of these hairy dogs. I don't really like all that hair all over their face. I like how they clip it away from Poodles' faces.

The Spanish water dog also appears to have a few more health issues than the Logotto. Of course, Poodles really have a lot of health issues. Oh well...it is interesting how there are so many breeds. I didn't get to the part about when they thought this Spanish water dog originated but the Logotto is apparently very ancient. On the tv program, they said that they're what all these water dogs derive from.

Anyhow, it's fun reading about rare breeds.

Thanks for the info. :)

Yes the spanish are hearding dogs, they nearly got extict like many spanish native breeds.

For the pics of the lagotto it looks like the spanish have the curls much smaller and tighter.

here's some info on the spanish story, is similar to the one that appears in a spanish mag I have
wikipedia said:
There are many different theories as to its origin. but one of the most popular ones is that it was introduced by the Turks who traded in sheep and used them as sheepdogs. In Spain it is often called the "Andalusian Turk". It was also known by many other names such as, "Perro de Agua", "Perro Turco", "Laneto", "Perro de Lanas", "Perro Patero", "Perro Rizado", "Churro", "Barbeta" and most recently "Perro de Agua Español".

Regardless of its exact origins, it is documented that there was a wooly coated Shepherd Dog on the Iberian Peninsula around 1100 AD. Historically, the SWD were primarily used as Herding dogs to move the flocks of sheep and goats from one pasture to another. The dogs were also called upon to work wherever a dog was required. For example, they were taught to work with fishermen as well as being taught to retrieve when hunting with the farmers.

Doberluv

Very interesting. And a very old breed. So, are you going to seek out a breeder? LOL. I wonder if these more rare breeds are more expensive than the more common ones.

Very interesting. And a very old breed. So, are you going to seek out a breeder? LOL. I wonder if these more rare breeds are more expensive than the more common ones.
Well I would like to one one, but I prefer a poodle. ;)

I don't know for how mush the spanish water dogs goes, I remember I asked for a clumber spaniel and they where $3,000

Doberluv

I know. I like the Poodle too. LOL. Very intelligent, easy to train and I love their action...so graceful and springy...really athletic and such a joyful, happy, cheery temperament. But more health problems. Ugggg. I'm paranoid about that now, after losing my Doberman at 4 yrs of age. He had lots of health issues, but it was cancer that got him in the end. I also love my Chihuahuas. I don't know if I could be without a Chi or two. They are really a very nice breed.

Members online

No members online now.