she hates him...

Brattina88

A little back story - As some of you know (and some of you do not know) my Mom's dachshund Reba had a puppy... he's a male, and he's 8 weeks old now. My mom had a home lined up for the puppy, but she decided that the timing is off and she can't seriously commit for the life span of the pup. Which, I'd rather her decide that now rather than later on down the road.
She hasn't made any serious attempt to find the pup a home since then. I asked her last night if she was keeping the puppy, and she said she is not sure. :confused:

Anyway, we both agree that he needs socialization from us, regardless if she's keeping him or not. I'd actually like to take him out with Maddie and I, but now I have a problem.

Maddie doesn't like the puppy.

Maddie's well socialized, and she's been perfectly ok with foster dogs - including a couple young puppies in the past. In fact, she's helped me with them, if you know what I mean.
The puppy bites at her nose and ears; she growls at him to let him know he doesn't like it. He usually stops, not always right away, but he does normally back off. He's even rolled over on his back to show his belly to her. But he keeps going back at it. And now she growls when he walks near her, when he tries to jump on a couch she's on, and now when he's nipping at me. It's almost escalating - she doesn't want him near her at all anymore.
My mom gets upset when she does this, and yells at me to correct my dog. She's put Maddie in "time out" in my room while I'm at work because she says Maddie 'attacks' the puppy. I have seen her nip at him, correcting him and then backing off, so I think these alleged 'attacks' are exaggerated. BUT if she's giving him a good stare down or a warning growl, and someone pushes her, swats at her, or pulls her collar (I only know this because I've seen mom try it - and have instructed everyone NOT to do this) she does throw herself at the puppy, growling and nipping.
When she's growling or staring down I can say "leave it" and then distract her with calling her to me and putting her into a sit or down stay - or getting her on the couch or stair well away from the puppy's jaws. . . then she's fine :rolleyes:

Is there anything I can do to help them get along better? I believe he has a lot he can learn from Maddie, especially if we're out and about.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
She is well within her rights as an older dog to correct this puppy. The corrections on HER need to cease immediately. She is connecting HER punishment to the puppy's presence and you are setting this puppy up to be attacked in a major way.

Take them out someplace neutral and let them play...allow corrections...and do not correct her unless she is out of control...and try to redirect then and not physically do anything.

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
agreed
sometimes those little whipper snappers get out of line - and the older dog, particularly a well socialized one, will correct its behavior
sometimes those puppies can be terrors for adult dogs, lol

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
BTW he needs to be confined at times so your older dogs can relax and NOT have to deal with his presence. They need to receive the attention and placement above this puppy that is their due as adult higher ranking members. Don't forget to keep things orderly and also treat the pup as what he is...the lowest ranking kiddo in the house...cute but in need of discipline ;)

bubbatd

This is normal play for an 8 week pup and Maddie's " teaching " is normal . Unless Maddie's out for blood ...let it be. Of course the pup needs time out when Maddie is really tired of it !

Brattina88

Gah... I swear I typed out a a response to this thread earlier and hit submit! :p !!

I wanted to add that I never corrected Maddie for this behavior, other than a distraction clicking of the lips and patting my thigh for her to come to me. Once she came to me I did put her in a sit stay or down stay for about 20secs to get her mind off the 'the nuisance'. Other's have corrected her (more physically) and Trust Me I've put a stop to that!! I was just trying to give an outline of how she's reacting to him ;)

They are separated a good portion of the day - I'm usually upstairs doing my own thing in my own area with her, if we're not out and about, and the rest downstairs. He has a x-pen sort of thing that he stays in when they're not watching him 100% and when no one is home as well (or when he's getting too wound & needs a time out!)

Should I treat / reward good, positive, tolerant-of-the-pup behavior? Or should I just let them be?
Thanks!

Paige

Let it be
I always let them be. Shelby use to be like that with Spanky. It's all apart of them learning how to be social with other dogs and picking up on their cues.

Members online