2 pups in 1 crate?

should i just get one crate for my two pom puppies? theyre 9 weeks now and still pretty small. if i do get one crate then how about when theyre full grown? or would it be better to get 2 seperate ones?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Get 2 different ones! You are already going to have enough of a struggle to establish yourself as alpha with 2 puppies at the same age. When I brought home my 2 littermates I had them in the same cage for 1 night and that was it. It's also not good because if one pup wants to play and the other doesn't that other pup can't get away. Also with having 2 puppies the same age you want them to be apart as much as possible, you want them to rely on you for everything, not the other puppy. It's also twice the work of one puppy, twice the time, twice the effort, everything becomes tougher, so make this one thing easy for yourself :D .

Also if you have any other questions about raising 2 puppies I might be able to help as I made an error by getting two at one time also. Not that I would trade them for the world, and I couldn't imagine living without either one of them, but it is not a great situation for the owner or the puppies. By the way, what are their genders?

they both are females. they seem to roughplay alot and sometimes i cant even tell is its just really rough play or they are really fighting. i was hoping it would work with one crate because i didnt want to spend the extra money for 2 when its useless. i thought they would be able to sleep together and whatnot. i was just going to put it out so they can sleep in it at night and to train them how to use to bathroom outside; and so they can just run in and take a nap whenever. so its really necessary having two?

yeah i made the mistake having two pups bc i thought it would be easier on myself since they can play together and not get bored, well wrong!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
yeah i made the mistake having two pups bc i thought it would be easier on myself since they can play together and not get bored, well wrong!
Same here, it's the main reason that people end up with 2 pups.

Yea, it is really important to have two crates (it shouldn't be that expensive b/c poms are so small). You want the puppies to have as little contact with each other as possible. They should sleep in different crates in different rooms, or sides of the room; they should eat in their seperate crates; be walked seperately; trained seperately; attend obedience class on different days; have seperate playtimes,etc.

What happenes is they become so absorbed with the other puppy that they will totally focus on each other. They won't bond with you, but with the other puppy, making it very hard to be alpha in the relationship. This can also lead to dog-aggression. In many cases the dogs will end up having to be completely seperate (no contact) with each other for a whole year, and although we haven't had to do this yet with Izzy and Frodo, we are prepared to if need be. Having 2 females makes it even worse because they are same sex.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
PW has given you some great advice. Having a second crate will not be useless, it will be a lifesaver.

so seperating them would be better? i would have assumed it would be better for them to play together. when im out or at school or whatnot i would want them to keep peach other company and care for each other. is it not ok to have them around each other 24/7 but just put them in seperate crates at night? i wouldnt want them to isolate themselves from each other.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I think that until it's been firmly established in their little puppy heads that you are the source of all things good, they need to be kept seperated and only allowed a bit of playtime while you are there to supervise. When they are older and have had obedience training, you can start to let them out more together.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
2 crates, period. Plus, you said that they were either playing rough or fighting, if they are fighting you don't want them in a crate together, they could seriously hurt each other and you're not there to stop it.

Izzy and Frodo are together most of the time except for:

1) Sleep =6 hours

2) When we run errands =about 1 1/2 hours a day

3) Training = 45 minutes a day each (spread out in 3 sessions)

4) Walks = 1 1/2 hours each a day (each get a seperate walk 3 times a day)

5) Eating = Twice a day about 5 minutes, lol.

So that equals = 12 hours and 20 minutes a day that they are apart, roughly

Helping these dogs to be well rounded members of society who can excell to their full potential has taken over my life, no joke. This last marking period at school was the first time in 5 years that I have not made distinguished honor role (95% average or above). The way I see it, it is MY fault that they may have problems, it was MY error in getting them both, and they should not have to suffer for MY mistake. Izzy has recently started to show aggression towards other dogs (I am not sure if this is due to being a female corgi - they are known for being dog aggressive; or due to her having Frodo living with her) and it breaks my heart that this could be my fault, and I am now working very hard with dr2little to resolve this issue. You have to make sacfices for the ones you love, but these two definitaly repay you with their love tenfold :).

Last edited:

bubbatd

Two from the same litter can be done, but it's really a no-no . Let them play together , even eat together..... all else separately. I sold 2 to a couple who told me that one would handle the female, the other the male. They either went about it wrong, but they ended giving one to a family member. They never wanted to bond to the humans.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I agree bubbatd, it is extremely hard and a big no-no. Most people are not able to handle it (there are times when I don't think that I can), but I am very lucky that both Izzy and Frodo have bonded to me, but it was in no way, shape or form, easy. I still have to constantly remind them to listen to me though. A lot of times when they are in the middle of play I will give one of them a command and once in a while I can tell they are deciding whether to listen or continue to play. It is a constant struggle.

bubbatd

Glad you understand the problem and are working with it ..... you'll win the battle !

texn

well, personnally i guess i am guilty here. i have 1 doghouse that is big enough for my dogs, and they have been sharing it for 4 months now. from what i notice, they dont really use it though, they perfer to lay out and about in the yard. i dont mind them being around each other all the time though. one reason i did it is that it will lower the depression levels when no one is home, because htey will have companionship and someone to play with throughout the day. they like to play-fight and swim together!

Zan

I agree with the 2 crates but for different reasons. I don't think you should totally isolate your 2 pups from each other. I have 2 shih tzus...brothers gotten together at 2 months old. They stayed in the same crate until around 6 months old they got too big and needed separate crates. Except now they are not crated but kept in a fenced off area of the kitchen together. They did not isolate themselves from the family or depend on each other too much by being together all the time. In fact, they are so close, it is a beautiful thing. They are able to comfort each other when one is scared and I am not there. Please do not isolate them, they are like children. Would you isolate your twins from each other? However, I do get them too of everything so they do not feel like they have to share unless they want to.

Members online

No members online now.