Chaz Moms and Moms-to-Be Chat (everyone welcome)

milos_mommy

Barbara, I've had HORRIBLE insomnia a lot during my pregnancy. BUT considering how tired it makes you, it doesn't sound very surprising, and some of the other girls I know are sleeping like 13 hours every night :p

So...apparently the fact that WE'RE HAVING A BABY just sunk into my kid's father's head. Verrrryyyy slowly and then all at once. I'm happy he's getting excited and wants to be involved but if I get one more "Can we name it ______?" text message tonight I'm going to pull my hair out.

He just hardcore vetoed my boy's name....I wonder if I can pull the "I'm cooking this baby and pushing it through my genitals, I get to pick the name" card.

Uh, so is turning into a dead person when you sleep a symptom of pregnancy? Seriously, this is getting kind of annoying.

I've always been a super light sleeper. Little noises woke me up immediately and KEPT me awake. Now? Yeah, that doesn't happen now. I plan on sleeping for 10 minutes? I end up sleeping for 6 hours with no recollection of anything. I used to wake up in the morning from my Mom waking up my little sister in the next room over... Not anymore. I'm dead. I used to be only able to sleep about 8 hours. Not anymore. I die. And nothing wakes me up. It's like I go into a coma. And I dream VERY vividly too, every single time. Wtf, body?
I've had very vivid, very strange dreams throughout my pregnancy. But enjoy the sleep now. Once it gets too uncomfortable to sleep, and then you have a newborn to care for, you'll be wishing for those days. Or so I hear. ;)

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Yeah barbara dOn't complain about too much sleep. You will wish you could store it. Your body is sleeping like it is because you are growing a LIFE. It takes energy to grow that life. Eventually you will want to sleep and not be able to and rest assured once the baby comes your super hearing and super light sleep will return. I hear the dogs get off the couch at night and my baby is 5 1/2 years old.

Wish to be a sleep camel that can store sleep in its humps lol

Romy

Taxiderpy
Yeah barbara dOn't complain about too much sleep. You will wish you could store it. Your body is sleeping like it is because you are growing a LIFE. It takes energy to grow that life. Eventually you will want to sleep and not be able to and rest assured once the baby comes your super hearing and super light sleep will return. I hear the dogs get off the couch at night and my baby is 5 1/2 years old.

^^ This! Wish I had some to tap into right now! lol.

Seriously though, growing new livers and brains and eyes and stuff is really hard work. Take it easy. :)

So...apparently the fact that WE'RE HAVING A BABY just sunk into my kid's father's head. Verrrryyyy slowly and then all at once. I'm happy he's getting excited and wants to be involved but if I get one more "Can we name it ______?" text message tonight I'm going to pull my hair out.

He just hardcore vetoed my boy's name....I wonder if I can pull the "I'm cooking this baby and pushing it through my genitals, I get to pick the name" card.
You should just tell him the baby's name is going to be Lothar Lightninghammer, and then put whatever you want on the birth certificate.

Taqroy

Omg that would be awesome.

LOL. Is it a full name that all flows together? Cause if not and you're set on the first name maybe he could pick the middle?

Matt and I finally found a name we both like. You would not believe the number of people that get offended when you won't tell them the name you picked out. :p It's kind of fun actually.

milos_mommy

LOL. Is it a full name that all flows together? Cause if not and you're set on the first name maybe he could pick the middle?

Matt and I finally found a name we both like. You would not believe the number of people that get offended when you won't tell them the name you picked out. :p It's kind of fun actually.
It is a full name that flows perfectly like a gorgeous river, lol, but I'm flexible on the middle. He just does not like the first name. Or any name I suggest. We have REALLLLLY different taste in names.

I wasn't telling most people about the names I chose. I don't want them to say negative crap about them to try and change my mind. My mom, unfortunately, knows a few of them on my list because I've talked about what I want to name my kids in the past. I heard her on the phone with my grandma the other day "She won't tell me...She likes Beatrix, but she's going to get called Trixie and that sounds like a stripper...and she likes Apollo but everyone's going to think the kid is black" (which, BTW, he or she WILL be part black. SURPRISE.) :rolleyes: And then she's like "Whyyyyy won't you tell me the other names you like?!?!?!?" Gee Ma, I really should tell you because how else will you be able to nitpick at them and shoot them down :p

Also, not telling people the names you've picked leads to plenty of hilarious suggestions from friends.

jenv101

Bite Club
We aren't telling anyone either. I can't believe how many people ask and expect us to just tell them everything. Lol. My hubby has started telling anyone who asks that we will be naming the baby Wolfgang. No middle or last name. Just Wolfgang. Lol. That usually shuts them up.

milos_mommy

What did everyone do/is everyone doing as far as a baby shower?

I wasn't planning on having one (although any excuse for a party is a good excuse to me), but now people are wanting to have one/throw me one.

Which is great, but they want ME to make the guestlist...I love party planning but this is going to be SoOoOoO awkward. A bunch of my mom's coworkers want to come :confused: I don't even know them....and my mom is basically using this as an excuse to get people to buy me stuff, which makes me way uncomfortable. My friends mostly live way out of state, and the friends I do have here are a sprinkled combination of moms who don't at all know each other, and college/young professional guys who don't typically party earlier than 10pm.

Usually when I throw parties, everyone there knows each other, for the most part. This baby shower is going to be some super awkward combination of people who have never met and are from drastically different demographic groups.

Taqroy

We aren't telling anyone either. I can't believe how many people ask and expect us to just tell them everything. Lol. My hubby has started telling anyone who asks that we will be naming the baby Wolfgang. No middle or last name. Just Wolfgang. Lol. That usually shuts them up.
Yeah, people were the same way about finding out the sex (and now everyone's mad because I didn't immediately inform them when we did end up finding out). Apparently pregnancy means that you have no personal business anymore. :rolleyes:

What did everyone do/is everyone doing as far as a baby shower?

I wasn't planning on having one (although any excuse for a party is a good excuse to me), but now people are wanting to have one/throw me one.

Which is great, but they want ME to make the guestlist...I love party planning but this is going to be SoOoOoO awkward. A bunch of my mom's coworkers want to come :confused: I don't even know them....and my mom is basically using this as an excuse to get people to buy me stuff, which makes me way uncomfortable. My friends mostly live way out of state, and the friends I do have here are a sprinkled combination of moms who don't at all know each other, and college/young professional guys who don't typically party earlier than 10pm.

Usually when I throw parties, everyone there knows each other, for the most part. This baby shower is going to be some super awkward combination of people who have never met and are from drastically different demographic groups.
My mom is throwing mine. Which I assume is some kind of infringement on etiquette but I don't care. I really didn't want one and she really wanted me to have one so we compromised with a BBQ/shower and no games. I don't have the same problems with the guest list though...can you do two parties? One for your mom's friends and one for your friends?

milos_mommy

Yeah, people were the same way about finding out the sex (and now everyone's mad because I didn't immediately inform them when we did end up finding out). Apparently pregnancy means that you have no personal business anymore. :rolleyes:
I'm really glad to hear it's not just my crazy family/friends who are like this.

I don't have the same problems with the guest list though...can you do two parties? One for your mom's friends and one for your friends?
Except for her few coworkers (Seriously...who tells a coworker that they never see or talk to outside of work that they want to come to that person's RELATIVE'S baby shower??) her friends aren't really the problem...even my friends don't really know each other and are a huge weird demographic combo of hoighty-toighty church-going middle aged women, young moms/families, and my eccentric art-school woodsy friends.

It's starting to sound fun, though...and like a REALLY good opportunity to videotape people's interactions.

As for names, DH and I agree on one. ONE name. I wasn't going to tell anyone but I let it slip to my mom and she hates it. She flat out said "I am NOT calling my granddaughter that" so now I call her Crazy Grandma-- the one who won't "know" my daughters name. Haha.

As for showers, my closest friends are throwing one and also want a guest list. I have no idea who to invite! I want to keep it small but I don't want anyone to feel left out. Ugghhhh.

Taqroy

As for names, DH and I agree on one. ONE name. I wasn't going to tell anyone but I let it slip to my mom and she hates it. She flat out said "I am NOT calling my granddaughter that" so now I call her Crazy Grandma-- the one who won't "know" my daughters name. Haha.
I'm a naturally irritable person (and pregnancy apparently enhances that) but this would make me really mad.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
My MIL threw my shower. I didn't really nessecarily want one mostly because I hardly knew anyone here at the time so I figured I didn't have anyone to invite so whats the point lol BUT then I realized that this was almost as big a deal for her as it was for me. her FIRST GRANDBABY. So she threw the shower, we invited the few people I knew and then she invited a bunch of her friends that watched Brian grow up. I didn't know them but thats ok, I didn't know anyone lol. It was nice to meet them though and we've gone to see some of them a few times since when MIL is in town.

In the end I'm glad we had it. it was a great time and people were SO generous.

We came up with a cute idea for the shower too. In the invitation we requested everyone bring a bead of some sort and I was going to put them all together into my birthing necklace :) it was really cool and I still have the necklace in my keepsake box. I wore it when I was in labor. it was like having a little piece of everyones love and support with me

Last edited:

CaliTerp07

If you don't want a shower, don't have one! I absolutely, positively did not want a wedding shower, but got talked into one by my mother in law. It was a really nicely done party with food and nice people, but it awkward and awful and I felt so gift grubby. I hated it. If I ever have a kid I will absolutely 100% veto a shower.

Romy

Taxiderpy
That's what I ended up doing. Anybody that asked got a silly name, it was fun watching their eyes bulge. lol. When Sam was born I wanted to announce on facebook that his name was Reince Preibus >insert last name<, just to mess with people. But his real name got announced before I had a chance.

Barbara!

I feel weird for being one of the few here who is going to have three different showers... And is inviting whoever wants to come because to me, that equates to more free stuff! Lol!

Grab

I called Clive rex while I was pregnant, since we didn't share the name. I think some people actually thought we were calling him that, since I'm the weird dog person:p

I didn't have a shower because I hate gatherings

regarding names, we didn't care about anyone's opinion as long as we liked the name :) I don't think my MIL was the biggest fan of his name, but she already had a chance to name her own kids and got over it, lol.

Members online

No members online now.