Prices of novel proteins for homecooking

My dog has IBD so I was looking at some exotic meats in the local butcher shop today.

Kangaroo roast was $24.99 per pound. :yikes:

Ostrich (ground) was about $14 per pound. :yikes:

They carry venison and some other meats and those are pretty high priced, too, but not as bad. (They were out of alligator.) Thank goodness it looks like duck may work out.

If anyone is having a hard time finding local farm-raised eggs or chicken in their area, (very hard to find here due to demand outstripping supply), this is a neat website I found for DIY'ers.

BackYardChickens - Raise Chickens, Build a Chicken Coop, Hatch Eggs

Romy

Taxiderpy
My dog has IBD so I was looking at some exotic meats in the local butcher shop today.

Kangaroo roast was $24.99 per pound. :yikes:

Ostrich (ground) was about $14 per pound. :yikes:

They carry venison and some other meats and those are pretty high priced, too, but not as bad. (They were out of alligator.) Thank goodness it looks like duck may work out.

If anyone is having a hard time finding local farm-raised eggs or chicken in their area, (very hard to find here due to demand outstripping supply), this is a neat website I found for DIY'ers.

BackYardChickens - Raise Chickens, Build a Chicken Coop, Hatch Eggs
Rabbits are also extremely easy to raise and have a very good feed to meat conversion. Plus, you can have them in city limits where some cities prohibit chickens. They're nice too if you are wanting to do a whole prey model diet. If my husband would let me, I'd have several pens of them!

Xandra

Rabbits might be a bit big lol, unless you butchered at 4 weeks or something, but that isn't really economical. Seeing as how you have a chihuahua you could feed rats as part of the diet. I dunno if you're weirded out by that but you can buy them whole for snakes relatively cheaply. Individually vacuum sealed and everything ;)

Shop Feeder Mice, Shop Feeder Rats, Chicks and Quail
(they also sell various chicks, quail, bunnies, mice and guinea pigs)

Also, you could ask around and see if any hunters have butchering scraps or you could ask at a fur farm. In some states you can be put on a list for road-killed deer too.

I never thought about that with the rabbits, Romy, but it makes sense since they might qualify as pets instead of livestock, and they're quiet. A guy my husband works with has moved out rural, and they plan on raising some chickens so we are on the list for eggs and chicken if it goes well. Seems to be really popular looking at that forum. There are thousands of members and they say it gets addictive.

Thanks for that link, Xandra. I've tried canned brushtail and rabbit so far, and those seem to agitate him a bit more than the duck, but sometimes raw goes over better. I had him on a commercial raw buffalo for a long time, but cooked seemed to make him feel blah.

Even if rats aren't for him, (hope, hope), I see they have quail and maybe that would work if the duck does. I've got some canned quail to try to get an idea.

I'm wondering if some people ordered a lot of these quail for themselves forThanksgiving. Looks like the stock is down on the bigger ones...

Buy Feeder Quail - Feeder Animals, Quail Sale Online

Members online

No members online now.