Different Meats

Tazwell

Are there any significant differences between different meats in dog food? I mean, besides "My dog does better on this," or "My dog likes this one better." Is there any differences in nutrition? More Protein, more fatty acids, etc.?

I've been looking for new food for Archie, I can't decide what to get him. He doesn't really like Salmon, but he loves chicken and turkey... I'm just looking into different things.

I think I might go half Canidae, half Natures Variety Instinct Raw, but I can't decide what meat. He's been on Canidae since I got him back in July of last year. He's done great, I just want to add some variety to his diet. Last time I tried to switch him, to Blue Buffalo, He got really sick and stopped eating it within about 2 weeks of the switching process. Ugh. After that experience, I'm afraid to switch him again.

2dogmom

Pound Puppy
Yes there are some differences. Digestibility, protein content etc. here is some info.
http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/HS_Meats.html
Although since a lot of the time they use meal anyway and also add supplements to modify the fatty acid content I personally don't think the primary meat is critical.
You may want to rotate different type of meat (say feed lamb base for one bag, then go to fish, then chicken etc) since supposedly dogs might develop an allergy if they are fed the exact same thing day in day out.

Members online