He Goes Crazy!! (Rat Terrier 12 weeks)

Batman

I'm a Rat Terrier
My Rat Terrier Batman is 12 weeks old. 90% of the time he is just wonderful. He knows come, 'hurry up', NO, drop it, sit and stay VERY VERY well, he is beginning to understand leave it, down, bring rope (ball or bone) and ENOUGH (when he chases one of our cats.) We are very committed to socializing him and try to do something in that area everyday. We don't let him get away with any bad behaviours that we don't want him to have when he is an adult... BUT..

At night around 8pm or 9 he starts going crazy. Last night it was so bad we were almost scared that he was going insane or that his 'real' personaility is coming out. He starts wanting to bite EVERYTHING, he races after the cats and is to rough with them, he grabs at as as we sit on the couch and tries to get up. When we finally get him to sit and stay I try letting him up and getting him to settle. He just gets worse and gets this deranged look in his eye. He also growls when he gets like this. He does occasionally growl however it is the "play with me, this is fun growl". When he went crazy last night he did let a couple of what I would consider 'real' growls out. Eventually after about 45minutes he passes out cold for the night. We just don't know how to deal with this. We have been trying to ignore him, and say no but they have ZERO affect on him.

Now you might think he isn't getting enough exercise, but I swear he gets worse when he has more exercise!!! Yesterday we walked him in the morning, then he visited Great-Grandma and had lots of fun there, then he came home and went for another walk (off leash in a park and totally fine). Then later that night we took him into our apartment hall and played monkey in the middle which he LOVES. He RACED back and forth until he slowed down. We also played some games with him in the apartment. So after a very full day he went crazier than ever!

I also want to add that he seems like a really happy, easy going puppy the rest of the time. He entertains himself when we need him too. He is a good listener, and most of the time will listen to what we want him to do. He loves cuddles and just seems very content.

So... what is up with these fits? What should we do when he gets like that?

Thank you for your help!

avenlee

My Westie gets crazy at the same time in the morning and night everyday. I've always thought it was like my Cockatoo who will scream at the same time at sunrise and sunset. In natural habitats, birds will call out to their flock at sunrise and sunset. I just let them play out their energy. Nora, my westie, will literally be running around the table with her squeaky porcupine and just stop, drop and fall sound to sleep.

Your dog might be getting too much exercise during the day if I dare say that, lol. Might be hard for him to settle down. I myself have had busy busy days and found it hard to settle down and fall asleep at night. :eek:

Batman, he's a Terrier. That's the explanation - plain and simple. He's full of p*** and vinegar. Try getting him involved with chasing a puzzle ball during his crazy time.

If it's any consolation, my Filas tend to do the same thing . . . only at 140 and 120 + pounds . . . :rolleyes: They're perfectly fine; just venting some pure doggy exuberance.

Bimmer did it to a lesser extent when he was a pup. He wanted to tackle me on the sofa and pull my hair and lick my ears until I'd laugh so hard I got the hiccups. When he heard the hiccups he'd stop, totally pleased with himself.

Batman

I'm a Rat Terrier
Don't get me wrong... :p I specifically chose a terrier because I have experienced them and read about their personalities. I didn't want an easy going, quiet kind of dog.

I guess I am/ was worried about how to handle him in that situation. If we had a backyard I would put him out there. Today I taught him to "find" (hid a toy and had him search). Maybe a game like that might entertain him. I will go out and get a puzzle ball. We bought a weeble ball but the treats never come out and therefore he doesn't have much interest in it.

Thank you for your responses! :D

Don't worry about "handling" him. Just enjoy him and let yourself go with the moment. He's a Terrier and there's nothing quite like a Terrier. You've got a whole lotta very large dog compacted into a very small body. :D

Members online

No members online now.