YouTube usernames?

Tazwell

Call me crazy. But why the heck can't I open a YouTube account with something other than my real name??? I just want to choose a regular user name like its been for eons and eons, but it wants me to open a new Google account using only my real name. No nicknames or aliases. I do NOT want to **** somebody off or have a disagreement, and they know my real name and location.

I even tried opening a new Google account with my DOG's name just for this purpose, and Google responds "This appears to be an invalid name. If you would like to appeal using official documentation such as a driver's license, please contact..."

Am I missing something, or did Google just turn YouTube stupid? What do you do if you are a business or organization or something?

Lyzelle

Mine is still my username, they haven't asked me to change it to my real name. It's an option on mine.

That's stupid if they are MAKING you use your real name, though. Google is a stalker's freaking heaven.

~Tucker&Me~

Youtube keeps trying to get me to connect my gmail account (which is my official email with my full name) and I keep turning it down for obvious reasons. I have a feeling though that in the future it will force me to conjoin them, at which point I will no longer have an account on youtube.

Some other sites have been trying to get me to combine my accounts with them with my gmail account and I keep responding with a no thanks. It's not like I am embarrassed of what I comment or look at, it's just a case of me wanting my privacy respected. Plus, it seems like a security issue to have a big online presence where people can keep track of all the things that you do and look at and bookmark and save and whatever...

Yeah, this whole movement to connecting everything back to your google account is really uncool, imo.

Tazwell

I had an old account that I would rather not be associated with as much anymore, and I still have my username- but when I log in, EVERY TIME, it asks me "Would you like to update to your Google profile name now? NO? Are you sure? Tell us why?"

Grrrrr.

Wickgaga

I used a fake name. Once you have the Google account made, and connect it to Youtube, you can choose your Youtube username.

I would just use a fake name and create a Youtube account with that. Also, there are other sites you can use to share videos.

Saeleofu

Use a fake name. It let me make one with Gavroche's name and a fake last name just now.

Tazwell

I guess because fleetwood's name is Fleetwood, it is too unusual and it got flagged. I just don't understand what happens if you are not an individual, but an organization?

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
my youtube is connected to my gmail and it's STILL being annoying (like trying to make me post comments under my real name..HECK NO!)

Plus, I really would love to make a new youtube account..but can't because everytime I would log into youtube, it logs me out of my gmail..which is such a pain.

Wow, I don't remember having any of those problems? The problem I did have, was having to ask my father for his cell phone so I could sign up to Youtube because it would ONLY send out a text message passcode, WTFrig!? And hassle, you know morons, not every freaking person with a computer today has a cell phone! Anyway, I've signed up so far using my online alias, Welsh Stump, for practically everything from Youtube to Facebook to Flickr, I know somewhere along the way it'll catch up with me.

Huh, I have a handle on YouTube. Of course, I made the account ages ago. Recently YouTube informed me that it noticed I had a hard to read user name and asked me if I wanted to change it to my real name, but I politely declined and I haven't heard anything about it since, I still have my old handle. Weird.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
I have my real name on Youtube which is normal for me since it is videos of my dogs and anyone who finds videos of my dogs is going to find out my name anyways cause it's also listed on my website. and as a watermark on almost every photograph I take so really there is no point to me hiding my name.

Paige

Let it be
Huh, I have a handle on YouTube. Of course, I made the account ages ago. Recently YouTube informed me that it noticed I had a hard to read user name and asked me if I wanted to change it to my real name, but I politely declined and I haven't heard anything about it since, I still have my old handle. Weird.
It did that to me too but I was all "oh youtube you trickster. not today"

Lyzelle

I just created a new Gmail for me and Zander, then hopped over to Youtube to see what you guys were talking about.

Figured it out!
  • When you sign into Youtube with your Gmail, go to "Settings".
  • Under settings click "create a channel" next to your name
  • In the information to the left, find the "create a username" at the bottom
  • Wah-la! There's your option for a handle.

:)

Now I just have to figure out a handle for me and Zander. It only allows numbers and letters, no symbols or spaces. So that rather sucks.

Tazwell

OMG, Lyzelle, I can't believe you found that option!!! It took me about 25 minutes to find it, because everywhere on Youtube I clicked on 'settings' it took me to my google account settings. Then I noticed that teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeny little button called 'youtube settings'. Practically hidden. Then a teeeeeeeeny little button in the bottom corner giving the option for a different username.

THANK YOU LYZELLE!!! You saved the day :D

Members online

No members online now.