Random question about texting

Amber

So, I have a friend who got in trouble, and long story short her parents are trying to have Verizon send them copies of all of her text messages, since she has deleted most of them. Is this actually possible though? Would they not need some kind of legal action first since while her messages are "theirs", the messages of the people she talks to aren't? Or can the phone company actually send them transcripts of her conversations? TIA...

Hope this post doesn't seem too sketchy...:eek:

Doberluv

I would think that only the police could IF they had a warrant...a court order. I'm not sure. But I doubt that the phone company would release that to civilians, even if they are her parents. Like you said, the other peoples' texts should be protected and the parents of your friend don't have the right to dig them up. At least that's what makes the most sense to me. I guess she'd have to ask a lawyer or maybe even the police what the law would be in this case.

She'd have to ask a lawyer -- or do some online legal research herself.

Police know NOTHING, ZIP, NADA about stuff like this unless by some weird chance you talk to one who has been through the same experience.

This is one of those legal issues that's still being defined as technology moves far more quickly than the law can possibly be applied.

I would think if the parents own the account, they can get the text messages. I mean if a grown adult can't send an email from a work computer to a friend without having the employer have privy to all emails sent from that computer, I can't see how they are going to deny the parents of a child and owner of account and cell phone the text messages.

I don't agree with it, i happen to think if the messages aren't intended for you, you don't get to just say I want to see them and get to look unless the sender or recipient wants to show you.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I am not sure if this is possible, simply based on the sheer amount of resources it would take for Verizon to log the contents of every message sent. I think the only thing they record is the number the text is sent to, not the message itself. And yes, they could get a log of the numbers that phone has contacted, provided they own the account and her phone is just an addition to their family plan or whatever.

So as far as I know, the details of your friend's texts are safe. This may have changed since the last time I got in trouble and freaked out over my texting history, though. :)

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
how old is this kid? well i guess it really doesn't matter. I dont know if they can get transcripts , but I think they can get sent / recieved date time log. I know I can on my hubby boost phone.

CaliTerp07

I'm guessing that since mommy and daddy pay for it, it's technically their phone (and therefore their messages)

Is your friend a minor?

Amber

Yes she's a minor. I'm still not sure about this..Reading the Verizon website's Q&A there seems to be no consensus either...

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
If the account belongs to her parents, I'd think they'd be allowed to view any messages sent on it. But whether or not Verizon is actually capable of recalling the text of those messages....I don't know.

Sorry for the ambiguous answer, but that's all I've got.

Yes she's a minor. I'm still not sure about this..Reading the Verizon website's Q&A there seems to be no consensus either...
I know friends are supposed to be there for friends, but sometimes it's best to own up to what you did and learn from it. Not spend an inordinate amount of time thinking of ways to hide things.

i doubt verizon is going to produce the messages freely. But if someone wanted you can get almost anything from everything. Just get a sim card reader and some software and you can recover lots of deleted stuff.

If her parents are the account holders (which, if she's a minor, they would have to be, since minors cannot legally enter into a contract), then they can access any available phone records - most likely the numbers contacted, and a time/date stamp. Whether the actual content of the text messages is available would be up to Verizon.

yoko

I have worked for cell phone companies. And to release those we needed papers from some sort of law enforcement either PD or a judge to release them but we could release them and they didn't really need a reason just needed to have one of them call in.

But really if the parents threw a big enough fit we'd give them out if it was a phone on their account

Long story short when you are a minor and you don't want to follow the rules and hide stuff from your parents don't do it on an electronic your parents purchase under a contract that they are in control of.

yoko

I am not sure if this is possible, simply based on the sheer amount of resources it would take for Verizon to log the contents of every message sent. I think the only thing they record is the number the text is sent to, not the message itself. And yes, they could get a log of the numbers that phone has contacted, provided they own the account and her phone is just an addition to their family plan or whatever.

So as far as I know, the details of your friend's texts are safe. This may have changed since the last time I got in trouble and freaked out over my texting history, though. :)
Sorry for double post.

They do log them but it's a pain to pull them especially if it's been over a week. But they are kept

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Oh it is possible, well it was when I was 14.
My dad had access to mine, cause I lived with him and he paid the bill.

He stopped looking through them when I 16.

But he had a good reason.
I was in high school (well the summer before 9th grade) when I moved up there and I was going through a prescription pill addiction when I was in my 9th-10th grade years. He was concerned. So, thats a reason for any parent to look through stuff.

Members online

No members online now.