Help Me Decide!

Jackster

Please help us decide which dog to get!! We are a couple with no kids, just a 13-year old cat whose sister died 2 years ago. We live downtown in a large noisy city in a small house with virtually no backyard, but with a park just around the corner. We have NO EXPERIENCE with dogs, but have decided that we are ready, we want to go for walks 2x a day in hot summers and cold, icy winters (& occasional country romps) but mostly the dog will be home with me. I work from home and go out for stretches of 5 - 6 hours at the most, sometimes the dog will be able to come with me but not always. The dog must be fine left alone, no howling or barking. Barking when someone comes to the door is ok, but not constant. I think that a "needy" dog would not suit us. We prefer very little shedding and brushing 1x a week with 2 - 3 times a year clipping. No major health issues. Small to medium size would be good. Must be calm and non-aggressive and not annoying or attacking our cat. I would love them to become buddies!

I don't want a puppy, not ready for that! We are thinking maybe 2 - 3 years old. I have been researching the breeds but don't necessarily want a pure-bred, but want to know the characteristics so I have some idea of what to look for. I find I am going around in circles, settle on one or two then find out something else that doesn't fit. If I speak to dog owners, they all think their breed is fabulous and the best and the right one for us!!! PLEASE HELP US, EXPERIENCED DOGGY PEOPLE!!! Should we look for a pure breed or a mix, and what types would suit us best...

Thanks for any advice you offer!
Jackster

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
If you want an older dog, and are not fussed on breed, why not check out the rescue homes. In the UK, all dogs in homes are assessed before rehoming, so you could pretty much say - these are my requirements, who fits?

If they have a dog that checks all the boxes, you can then decide if you like it enough to take it home.

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
I do agree, check your local rescue or shelter. It is really hard to tell you what type of dog would suit you and your family as you really need to interact with them to see which ones are best suited for you. Take some time and check a few places out and if you find on that you are head over heals for go back a few times, spend some time with the dog and go from there.

joce

Perfect for a greyhound:) There are a ton of rescues for them.

Members online

No members online now.