how often do work out with your dogs in doing his/her tricks?

Katkoota

cRaZy AbOuT DOGS
Hello everyone,

I haven't been working out with Snowy in practicing his tricks for a while. I decided to do it yesterday and make a video :)

here is a link to anyone interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g10Y7Je1sOE

I enjoy working with him coz it cheers me up (you can see his wagging tail while doing his tricks) which means that it cheers him up too :p

What tri tricks do your dogs know? and how often do you work with them?

Kat

Paige

Let it be
Five miniutes ever day for each dog. I always ask them to do little things here and there just to see what their mood is like that day.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Riot gets his tricks practiced every so often, but he gets daily obedience sessions because I want him in prime shape for when we start competing :)

Also it helps SOO much when your dog listenst to you in every day life.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
Just a couple of minutes every day so they have to do something to earn playtime.

Yesterday I got a big shock. My older dog was being very whiney waiting for me to change clothes and go out and play with him. I was going to say "quiet", but accidently said "speak", because his commands are in Dutch and I don't use "quiet" that often. Well, I got an earful of "speak" allright! Ouch!

OC knows way too many to list LOL Ronan knows considerably less but hopefully I can bring him up to speed over time - lots of time ;) How much we do each day depends on what else we have done that day. We do a minimum of at least 15 minutes but will do upwards of a total of an hour per dog (but then that hour gets broken up with play time or just some time to rest so they dont get bored with the excercises and lose interest in the training)

RD

Are you dead yet?
Eve doesn't do tricks, but I work with Ripley and Dakota on theirs every once in a while. If I have something I want to give them, I usually ask for a few tricks first.

TopShelfPets

Thread Killer
Jager doesn't really do tricks ----YET. Eventually, he will be one of those awesome dogs who can sit still on command and play dead and crawl and shake paws.

He's probably up for learning some of it now, but he gets so excited, and i'm still learning how to train him for simpler things (like not to jump on people)

I work with him throughout the day. A session for about 15 minutes, plus randomly as he does things, i click and reward for them. And some of it i still consider training even though he's pretty much doing it on his own by now. Like sitting when we come back from a walk to get his leash off.

Last edited:

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Every day. I do a bit at frequent intervals and before I give them something like a treat, I ask them to do a trick/follow a command.
I reinforce things I want them to have down and have sessions of that every day.

Kase

Awwwww I LOVE seeing Snowy tircks! He is so smart and looks so happy! :D Snowy vids make my day hehe!

hmm, thats cute! Hershey gets worked with, when I feed him. :D Its mainly Sit, and Wait. but, thats ok, right? But, when its settling down time, he gets told, "Go Lay Down" And then gets a Good boy. :) And I am working with getting a hold of his collar without him growling, hes doing good. :D But, Snowy is adorable!!! I want to steal him now. lol, not really.

Melissa_W

That's a really cute video. I especially like the way he plays dead. We've been working on that trick. We usually work on commands everyday, as long as I'm not too busy. We usually spend 5-10 minutes.

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
I do occasional behaviors/reinforcements throughout the day - no regularly scheduled work except for when we go to classes (currently only on Sundays).

I've found that frequent short bits of training are more effective than long training sessions. I've often told my students that if they trained just during the commercials during one hour-long TV show they'd get in plenty of training every day ( for those who complained that they just didn't have time .. *L*).

I LOVE teaching my dogs tricks and they know a lot of them. I like letting each dog's personality shine through. I have some little videos if anyone wants to view them (you lucky people with fast connections .. *L*).

Trick (GSD) jumping up on a wooden reel and waving at me:
http://www.alaskangoldmines.net/dogs/trickwaves.mov

Kylee spinning (and barking but there's no sound .. *L*) - age 14 years!
http://www.alaskangoldmines.net/dogs/kyspinsept05.mov

Khana covering her nose with her paw while sitting -
http://www.alaskangoldmines.net/dogs/khanacoversnosedec06.mov

Khana spinning - she spins much faster than Kylee -
http://www.alaskangoldmines.net/dogs/khanaspinsmar06.mov

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

purpledog

When i was training my dog, you have to do it every day (literally). Dogs are like humans, repetition is very important to train the mind.

Members online

No members online now.