Child breaks arm, school calls parent instead of ambulance - thoughts?

Red.Apricot

I think at my elementary school, the parents had to sign a form saying that if there was a medical emergency (including broken arms) steps XYZ would be followed; and it outlined whether they'd be called before 911 or what. You'd think most schools would do that.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
We literally walked out of our house and crossed the street to get to school. There would have been np calling around for hours, it would have taken 2 minutes from the start of the phone call to my parents getting to the office, if that xD

ETA: also, I'm not sure if any of you have tried to actually call an ambulance for something like a broken arm, but it pretty much gets put as lowest priority, and a lot of times, parents can get there and get their child to the hospital much quicker than an ambulance would, depending what else is going on in the city.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I think at my elementary school, the parents had to sign a form saying that if there was a medical emergency (including broken arms) steps XYZ would be followed; and it outlined whether they'd be called before 911 or what. You'd think most schools would do that.
Yeah I would think most schools would have a form or waiver of that sort.

Dekka

Just try me..
Parents could be at work, in a car etc. Just because some parents can do it faster doesnt mean all can. That is why I said I want to know how long they try to get ahold of the parent before they say "ok call an abulance" Sure if you call and the parent will be there quickly... then sure.

But if its a bad break, I would still want an abulance.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
We literally walked out of our house and crossed the street to get to school. There would have been np calling around for hours, it would have taken 2 minutes from the start of the phone call to my parents getting to the office, if that xD
Just because yours could, doesn't mean it should be the protocol for everyone.

ETA: also, I'm not sure if any of you have tried to actually call an ambulance for something like a broken arm, but it pretty much gets put as lowest priority, and a lot of times, parents can get there and get their child to the hospital much quicker than an ambulance would, depending what else is going on in the city.
As a paramedic.. not true. Unless there is a run on MIs at that moment a child with a broken arm with a visible deformity wouldn't be a 'lowest priority'. Perhaps you are not aware how serious that child's broken arm could be if they don't get help in a timely fashion. A fracture with nothing to see and the need for an x-ray.. yes lower priority, less of an issue to sit around. This, not so much. Possible internal bleeding, nerve damage, damage that is not fixable to growth plates. It really is an emergency that would not get put on the back burner as you have stated.

Xandra

I see nothing wrong with calling the parents first but putting off medical attention indefinitely when the kid's arm is bend at an angle is asinine.

Grab

I would prefer that I be called first to come pick him up. If I was unable to be reached after the first call, then an ambulance would be fine.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
with my epileptic son the first call is the ambulance and the second is to us.

his seizures are a diffrent animal though compared to a broken arm.

policy here is call the parents then call 911 for a medical emergency. it is clearly stated in a policy and procedure book given to every parent at the begining of each school year . each kid has to have the first page torn out signed and returned saying they have read the policys and will abide them. covers everything from uniform , to discipline and emergencies to absences.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Just because yours could, doesn't mean it should be the protocol for everyone.

As a paramedic.. not true. Unless there is a run on MIs at that moment a child with a broken arm with a visible deformity wouldn't be a 'lowest priority'. Perhaps you are not aware how serious that child's broken arm could be if they don't get help in a timely fashion. A fracture with nothing to see and the need for an x-ray.. yes lower priority, less of an issue to sit around. This, not so much. Possible internal bleeding, nerve damage, damage that is not fixable to growth plates. It really is an emergency that would not get put on the back burner as you have stated.
I wasn't talking about this case, in particular, more as a general (which, apparently my edit to my first post on my phone didn't actually post. On the phone, I couldn't click the link, and couldn't see the quote). Hence my posts being "If I broke my arm...", "my parents...", etc.

darkchild16

We are Home.
If my kid has a multiple break they are going in a ambulance. Faster and they can do something for the pain ASAP. Even with a EMT husband that could effectivly make sure the travel didnt mess up the arm we would still call a ambulance. You also get seen IN the er faster if you come in by ambulance.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
OOOOOOOHGOHOOHOHOHOHOHOH ~WAVES HAND IN AIR LIKE A KID~

I have a question , If a patient is seizing does the Ambulance sit there until they stop and get an IV?

not really the topic , but I know several Chazzers are EMTS or have training.

I was wondering if ti is the same everywhere or not?

darkchild16

We are Home.
They did with Morgan. They were getting ready to give Ativan before he stopped. (FL)

Jeremy said no seizing when you transport. (training in NC)

MI is the same as well. Jeremy had one in Meijers and they had to stabalize him before taking him.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
OOOOOOOHGOHOOHOHOHOHOHOH ~WAVES HAND IN AIR LIKE A KID~

I have a question , If a patient is seizing does the Ambulance sit there until they stop and get an IV?

not really the topic , but I know several Chazzers are EMTS or have training.

I was wondering if ti is the same everywhere or not?
The EMTs at safety day here didn't specify what they would
Do but they said if someone is siezing don't try to hold them down. Clean te area around them so they won't hit anything and let them
Have their seizure and call 911

I don't know how one could start an IV in someone that can't be still

yoko

I kind of understand calling parents. When I tore my knee out of socket and broke a chunk of my kneecap off I still took myself to the hospital. Over night stays are covered by my insurance ambulance rides aren't and they are pretty expensive.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Ontario has intranasal benzos for ACPs. Midazolam stops the majority of seizures. If you can't get a line on site before you move the patient, and it's pretty critical, you don't wait. As you can give it without an IV, it's not the need an IV for pain meds is, though Ontario has gone back to morphine from fentanyl and morphine can be give rectally if needed.. though personally I'd prefer to not need to try, lol.

With my preceptor, we'd be on route with a critical patient, we'd pull out everything needed prep, look for the best vein, and possibly slow to a stop if a light was red and hang on for a second to see if we could get it. One shot, see what you could accomplish.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
Intresting all around. Here they won't move until they have an iv in . The one time he has had them at school the driver refused to move until he had an iv in. Took them 5 mins. His dad was there and was on the verge of taking him in our truck. Thankfully they finally got it in .

In this instance he would have been to the hospital 10 minutes earlier. Which in his case is literally life and death sometimes. I don't fault them it is there training , I was just curious how other place care differ .

Thanks for all the answers.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
Well if I could I would have it set to not have an ambulance come and just call us to take him. But it was a compromise between his neurologist , the school board and I. If i change it the school would require him to have a nurse to come to our house in the a.m. and ride in a cab with him to school , go to all his classes all day , catch a cab home with him . Everyday due to his doc. Prescribing Diastat , which is a gel Valium the school requires a nurse to adminstior if he had one. Way to much so i just deal with holping he is ok at school and if not we get the good teams for EMTs .

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
It is a school nurse and here the nurses rotate schools. The elem. Has a nurse on Tuesday's. The middle Wed. And high. Friday. Budget restraints. The school that has a nurse all the time does not have the level special ed class he is in. He is levels above the classes at the staffed school. So he has to go the the other school.

Staff online

Members online