show grooming a wheaten terrier?

I'm a fairly new groomer and I was asked to do a show cut on a wheaten terrier. I'm trying to find some recourses on grooming them but it has been hard to find. I would love to find an instructional video on show grooming a wheaten terrier, and I am even willing to purchase one. Does anyone know where I could find a show grooming video on wheatens? also, for those of you who have groomed them before.. would you be able to give me some tips on the proper grooming?

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Is this a dog who is actually going to be shown? Or just a pet that they want in a show cut?

If you're still a new groomer, I would highly recommend not grooming the dog if it's a show dog. You don't want the responsibility of their potential success in the ring if you happen to do something incorrectly. We have two very experienced groomers at work who have been involved in the show world for a long time, even they have turned down work on a show dog if they weren't 100% comfortable with it.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Is this a dog who is actually going to be shown? Or just a pet that they want in a show cut?

If you're still a new groomer, I would highly recommend not grooming the dog if it's a show dog. You don't want the responsibility of their potential success in the ring if you happen to do something incorrectly. We have two very experienced groomers at work who have been involved in the show world for a long time, even they have turned down work on a show dog if they weren't 100% comfortable with it.
I can't ditto this strongly enough. If it's just a fun "lets make the dog look like he's in the show ring" that's fine but if they intend to show or even fun show I'd decline for now. Even a wheaton pet clip isn't an easy one for beginners.

thanks everyone for the replies. i think the dog is going to be shown but yeah. are there seminars out there in or close to omaha nebraska on grooming show dogs?

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
The best way I know of to learn a specific show clip for your area (yep, it varies by area of the world/country) is to learn from a successful breeder in the show ring. Usually they learned from their mentor and such on up the line. This is especially true with terriers which are very particular about textures lengths and lines.

Networking will be your friend to get this done.

Members online

No members online now.