>sigh< a setback kinda day

DemitriousK

Nobody In Particular
Those are the worst, arent they?

when things are going so well in potty training the new puppy and then she has one of those days. Starts out with 2 poopers inside and 3 piddles inside during quick operations like changing the laundry...

>sigh<

gonna be a crate kinda day now. At least I can close the door and use the heat (I've been freezing for a week now) since she's not bothering to go out unless I take her anyways...

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
Ah nothing more fun then going about you business and wham ! New business hopping around with one foot in the air on your way to the bathroom to remove a pile of ooze from your foot. Ah puppies aren't they great ?? I love them but am not overly found of the house breaking thing. You may have it easier then you think though. Sometimes the pup will learn from the older ones.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
I know, shoot me for saying this but I think Caiza had like two accidents in the house :eek: Thank god! I never had any problems house breaking a pup....maybe I'm a little neurotic and OCD'ish when it came to taking them out :D Things will get better for you...keep your head up ;) Crating is the best thing to do if you can't watch her all the time :)

DemitriousK

Nobody In Particular
yea I have to work during the day. I work from home but I really have to concentrate on what I do. So... There are twofold problems a) she needs to be reliable under minimal supervision (crate will help... and we are crate training) but b) she's got to come to grips with the darn doggy door.

I think I'm going to start putting her meals on the outside and make her work out that going out the doggy door gets her what she wants... And making her come in through the doggy door after piddles and poopers outsides instead of leaving the door open for her to come through as I have been doing.

She's *SO* cautious about things and the doggy door especially. It didnt help that the boys just barrel through it without a care and every time she tried to check it out when she first got here they were swarming her (it was a real pain in the butt the way we couldnt do *ANYTHING* without the two other boys acting like a friggen hornets nest... zooming around everywhere) and they would run in and out and in and out smacking her in the nose with the door by going through it every time she got close...

Zoom

Twin 2.0
That would tend to make things harder on Miss Bella. She'll get it though! Can you crate the boys for a bit and just work with her?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I'm going through that right now too with the housebreaking. She does good and then the second you turn your back to sneeze she sneaks off and has an accident. Do you leash her to you for part of the day? That way she's with you, you can keep an eye on her and watch for signs. I think I'm going through PPD (post puppy depression) and am starting to think "what was I thinking" untaking yet another puppy. Good luck. Is she atleast quiet in the crate?

DemitriousK

Nobody In Particular
yea I hate to crate the boys unless theres a reason... but this certainly qualifies, doesn't it?

And no, I don't leash her to me. I'm not fond of that idea. She just needs to learn the floor plan, and the doggy door. I've not wanted to push her too hard, but it's *just got to happen* ya know?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
yea I hate to crate the boys unless theres a reason... but this certainly qualifies, doesn't it?

And no, I don't leash her to me. I'm not fond of that idea. She just needs to learn the floor plan, and the doggy door. I've not wanted to push her too hard, but it's *just got to happen* ya know?
The only reason I do that with our new little girl is because it's one of the only ways to get her to stop barking. She hates the crate so she's only in it for the nighttime and when we leave. Maybe try luring her through the door with something really tasty and giving her a gentle push;) ? That's how we finally got our puppy to go downstairs is we had to give her a gentle nudge in the backside to get her going. Now you'd never know she didn't know how to figure out the stairs at first.

DemitriousK

Nobody In Particular
WOOHOO! it only took an hour of being outside alone with her figuring out the door to get back in! I gave her a whole fistful of treats which she took to her crate (crate training has been easy, she really likes her crate)... Ahh... happy place... Next time I let her out I'll crate the boys and put her lunch on the other side of the doggy door, and wait outside for her to show... thats gonna be a lot harder...

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Nothing like some squishy dog poop under your foot to put our envy of you in check. ahahaha.

Listen, for what it's worth, sometimes I have a hard time training fosters to use a trap door to the litter box. So what I do is smear peanut butter on the door. They can't help but poke their heads thru to get to what they like. Just a thought. Of course, it sometimes means you will have a pet that smells like Mr. Peanut, but it's kind of worth it.

Members online

No members online now.