Diarrhea

Fran27

Hey all

My 4 months old puppy has diarrhea. It started 2 weeks ago, I took him to the vet, they couldn't find anything wrong in his feces, but he gave some meds anyway... We put him on a lean diet for 2 days (rice/chicken, that he absolutely loved). It worked fine, maybe too fine, because he seemed to be constipated for 2 days (didn't go after eating like he usually does etc).

Except that 2 days later, it started again! He is in very good health, very active, drinks and eats fine... I supervize him all the time except at night when he's in his crate, and he doesn't eat anything he shouldn't, except grass outside and leaves (also some leftover cardboard my husband left there that I keep trying to get rid of, but it's like he put some of it all over the yard...)... We feed him nature's choice and various treats when we work with him on training, could it be one of those things that give him diarrhea? We have been switching his food in the last 2 weeks because he's running out of what the breeder gave us, but we've been giving him half of it.

It's not that bad that he can't hold, but it's pretty runny (sorry if it's gross). Any advice on how to stop it?

Mordy

Quigleyfied
fran, do you mean nutro natural choice? if so, there are better quality foods out there for the same price, or even less. also, what kind/brand of treats are you feeding? both the food or the treats could have something in them that does not agree.

non-diet related causes i can think of are giardia or coccidia, both intestinal parasites that often get overlooked when vets only look for worm infestation. has your pup been tested for these two?

Fran27

Yes, he was tested for everything but they gave meds anyway last time.

For the food, yes, it's nutro natural choice, as advised on another forum... *sigh* what food do you advise? I can't afford to buy another bag for now but I can replace it when this one is empty.

For the treats, it was milk bones, and I moved to old mother hubbard treats... which are almost out anyway. What do you advise for a 25-30 lbs puppy?

On a side note, he seems better today...

Thanks!

Any of the NaturaPet (www.naturapet.com) lines are good. From personal experience, I can't say enough good about their EVO formula. Mine have been on the Innova food since I brought them home. It costs more per bag than some, but you feed so much less that it's actually more economical than the foods that have a cheaper price tag on the bag. And I'm feeding some BIG dogs, lol!

Mine get some Mother Hubbard treats, they also have some from Barnstone (Bimmer loves the buffalo stew treats), the girls love the Mother Nature brand Carrot Cake treats, and the feed store where I get their food has some bulk bagged treats from a dog bakery that have better ingredients than most of the people-treat bakeries, lol! I consider myself very lucky to have the Agri-Feed and Pet Supply store to go to. They make sure that all of their bones and chews are organic and produced in the U.S. as well, so I don't feel so bad when Shiva just HAS to have that smoked knuckle bone when she gets to go with me. She knows exactly where they are, too, and takes me right down that aisle as soon as we've got a cart, lol. They moved them during the Christmas season and you should've seen her face when she went down "her" aisle and "her" bones weren't there! She sat right down in the middle of the aisle, looked at me with tears in her eyes and went "Wooowooowoo!" Stuck that big nose in the air and started sniffing until she located them. She's so funny. She prances around like a kid who's got to pee until I find the biggest one, show it to her, then put it in the cart. Once it's in the cart she's happy and we go get our bag of EVO. Then it's time for everyone to pet her. She's not a bit rotten . . . NOOOOOOOO! Not my Shiva, ROFL! :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.