Male or female Bouvier for therapy?

I am looking into getting a Bouvier in the fall, and hope to do therapy with the dog in time. Therefore, I am looking for a steady temperament.

I am unsure as to whether I should get a male or a female, and have read much conflicting advice.

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of anyone who has lived with Bouviers, or knows them well.

Mina

BRT - "the black watch"
I am looking into getting a Bouvier in the fall, and hope to do therapy with the dog in time. Therefore, I am looking for a steady temperament.

I am unsure as to whether I should get a male or a female, and have read much conflicting advice.

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of anyone who has lived with Bouviers, or knows them well.
Steadiness/stability is not gender specific. Although this can be said of any breed, temperament can vary tremendously from line to line, and even within a single litter.

Having had Bouviers for 20 yrs, IMO, unless size is an issue (as, generally speaking, male Bouv's which haven't been prematurely neutered, are noticeably larger/more massive than females) gender will be far, far less significant than choice of lines and choice of breeder ...

A good breeder will know his/her puppies far better than you. Your first task will be to find a good breeder, who breeds healthy Bouviers of the type of drive and temperament for which you're looking. Finding a good breeder is not as easy as it sounds; such a breeder will insist on input in choice of puppy. If you find that you cannot trust the breeder to choose a puppy for you, you haven't found the right breeder! In the meanwhile, don't get hung up on gender.

Lastly, you should know that, even with the best of puppies, your raising, training and socialization will have much to do with the eventual suitability (or not) of your dog for use in therapy work.

I love Bouviers!

Best of luck!!!

Thanks for the input.

Mina, would you be willing to share your breeder information with me? I'd love recommendation.

Members online

No members online now.