at my wits end

I need help with leash training. My dog pulls me and wont stop. When he pulls I stop but he just keeps pulling i stand there for ever and he dosent give up. He ignores me like I'm not even talking. I dont know what to do. Also every time we get near other dogs all his hair goes up on his back. Sometimes he will just sniff them other times he barks like a maniac. Any help would be mich appreciated.

thanks

milos_mommy

Are you trying to train him leash manners where there are other dogs or people he is trying to pull to get to?

He's going to pull when you stop. He's probably going to do it for a couple of minutes. Which can seem like a longgggg time when you're on the other end of the leash.

Every time you go forward while he's pulling, it reinforces that pulling is acceptable behavior. You need to teach him walking patiently at your side is good behavior, by rewarding that behavior by moving forward.

Every time you take a step, your dog will probably bolt forward. If he does, stop again. It might take you two hours to walk 30 feet. But if you do this once or twice, consistently, he WILL learn. Do it somewhere where there aren't a lot of other people. Once he learns, you can try doing it around distractions. If the distractions cause him to pull, you need to go back to working without distractions.

You can try clicker training a heel, and bringing treats along on the walk as an extra reward for him being well-behaved.

You might also want to try a head halter or a front clasp harness WHILE you're training him, not as a substitution, if he is a very strong dog and you're having trouble handling him.

I have tried it with no dogs or ppl around, ive tried it in the park i literally stand in the same place for half an hour and he just keeps pulling he dosent get tired of it and ignores me.

lizzybeth727

One suggestion I have is to exercise him really well before the walk. I know, it seems like you should use the walk AS the exercise, but while you're trying to teach him to walk nicely on a leash you will need some other form of exercise for him, since you're not going to get very far very fast. If you can tire him out before you put the leash on him, he won't be able to pull as much or for as long.

I definately second the suggestion of using a front-clip harness to help teach him to leash walk. These are great because they don't allow him to pull as hard so you won't tire out as quickly. And you should definately not use a regular harness - the kind where the leash attaches to the ring on the dog's back - as these will just allow the dog to pull harder.... think about why sled dogs wear harnesses. ;)

I agree with Milo's Mommy that when your dog pulls, just standing still and waiting for him to let up is a great tip. Another thing you can do is, if he's pulling, just take a step or two backwards. DON'T jerk the leash, just use steady pressure to pull him a step backwards. Sometimes this works better to help dogs who get really fixated on an object, to figure out to come back to you. And definately reward your dog - by giving really yummy treats, like pieces of hot dogs, chicken, mozzarella cheese, etc. - whenever he is at your side, whether he's paying attention to you or not. Eventually he'll figure out that good stuff happens when he's next to you, and he'll stay there more often.

You can also practice this in the house first, and when he gets really good at it there, you can progress to the backyard; then work in the front yard; then eventually out in your neighborhood.

Maura

This is what I do. How long it takes depends on the dog's breed and what he's been getting away with. The quickest time it took was less than ten minutes with a chihuahua, but a full week with a little mixed girl who had been pulling for over a year.

Use a harness and a long lead. I prefer twenty feet, but if you have a tiny dog and are in the city, ten foot works. Go to the area you can work in, a park or field, somewhere that is open and there are few distractions. Move forward, ignoring the dog. Head to a specific spot, like a swing set or tree. Your dog will try to go where he wants to go, but you pull him along with you. You are leading the hunt. If he gets ahead of you and pulls you, make an about face and walk in the opposite direction. There are tricks for a large strong dog, but if you can do the tree stand for 30 minutes, this is probably not a problem for you. Yes, you will be pulling back, but as soon as he decides to follow you the leash will slacken. You head in another direction, he must follow you. Change directions again. You can move in a triangle pattern, a square, or a star, but you do not let the dog pull you. Do not cajole or chastise or speak to the dog in any way, just change directions to complete your pattern. If after a suitable amount of time (30 - 45 minutes) he is still ignoring you, don't worry about it. Just go back home. Repeat the next day (or again later in the day). What you are teaching him is that every time he feels pressure from the harness, he is moving in another direction. And, he needs to pay attention to you because you randomly change directions.

When he is acting more compliant and paying attention to you, start working him on the commands he already knows. Recall when he is two feet from you, when he is five feet from you, when he is ten and twenty feet from you, praise and treat. Sit when he is close to you, sit when he is five feet from you, sit when he is ten feet from you, and so on. Move on to down. Recall, sit, and down will give you more control than the leash does. He will see it as a game. This way, when you are in your usual places he will mind you better, remember dogs don't generalize so you have to retrain them every where you go. When you have him good with recall, sit, and down, work on heel.

For heel, I would practice at home using a wall on the left and having him sit at your left side. Treats and praise, clicker if you have one. On the walk, call him to the heel, using the treat to lure him where you want him, then releasing him. Get him to stay longer and longer at the heel.

For my fosters, I use long line work to get them to stop pulling and pay attention. It helps in the house as well, dogs I work on the long line behave better. I don't usually work on heeling because most people don't care if the dog heels.

I definately second the suggestion of using a front-clip harness to help teach him to leash walk.

Front clip harnesses work GREAT!

Also, start in an environment that is free of distractions and easy for him to succeed. (The living room, back yard, etc.) and gradually work up to requiring him to walk on a loose leash in more distracting environments.

Check out this tutorial on Sue Ailsby's site. Great plan that uses clicker training:
15. Leash

Members online

No members online now.