Stiches not removed

jowak

I have a friend you just got her puppy neutered. They told her to bring him back in a few days to get the stiches out, but she never did. Is that going to be a problem for the little guy?

jowak

She said she forgot and now it's been about 3 weeks, so she didn't act like it didn't matter now. Shouldn't she still get the stiches out anyway even this late?

grab01

I'm on a boat..
Are the stitches still there? Sometimes pups will get them out on their own. If they are, then yes she should have them removed. I've seen a nasty infection on an ear of a dog whose owners never brought him to have the stitching from the hematoma surgery removed.

Doberluv

Absolutely she should get that pup to a vet. If she can't remember something like that, is she capable of caring for the dog at all? That, to me seems so basic.

lizzybeth727

I agree. If she leaves the stiches in, the skin will begin to grow over the stiches and it will get infected. By that point, removing the stiches will be very painful for the little guy (especially in such a sensitive area!!!), and sometimes vets will have to sedate the puppy to get the stiches out. NOT GOOD!

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Poor puppy. :( Stitches absolutely do need to be removed by a Vet... unless they are dissolving stitches. Because she waited so long, it could be painful for the puppy, and she'll likely be paying much more (for meds, possible infection and possible anesthetic) than she would've if she had taken him in 3 weeks ago.

Leaving stitches....no good...they will grow INTO the skin, it will either become an infection or later health risk.

She needs to take the puppy in NOW....

S

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
Absolutely she should get that pup to a vet. If she can't remember something like that, is she capable of caring for the dog at all? That, to me seems so basic.
Ditto! :hail::hail:

When any of mine have had stitches... I am checking them every single day to ensure the incision is healing correctly and the stitches are not being messed with my the dog/cat I cant imagine just forgetting to take them back.

What about vaccines, feeding, heartworm, flea meds, any meds should the dog develop an illness, combing, bathing, etc. etc. Will these things be forgotten as well?!

Members online

No members online now.