How did you share the news?

Barbara!

When you got pregnant?

I am going to my parents house today, and while I have already told my mother, I get to break the news to my Dad. I don't even know how to go about it... And I am worried he will have a heart attack.

And my boyfriends family... We have to them eventually, too. (Waiting until after 12 weeks.) They are EXTREMELY Christian and I am worried about their reaction as well.

So basically, how did you break/express the news of your pregnancy to your family/in-laws/friends?

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
With my first , i was a chicken and left a note and ran away.

with the others , i just sat him down and told him "your best friend knocked me up now I am
in the family way"

He was not amused with antics , but i did and dont care , i try to aggrevate the crap out of him.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
We just told them, "We are pregnant."

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I got this really cute baby announcement in the mail, I can't find it to scan it but it was like this!!

EDIT*: found one just like it

We are a huge family. Lots of babies. And this is the cutest announcement I've ever received (and yay on them for not just sending a bland facebook message.. this is so much more cute!)

Not sure how she told her parents but my advice would be to just say it. Honestly, confidently, without shame or fear. You are an adult...act like a guilty child and they will treat you like one.

"Please let me finish before you guys say anything. I'm pregnant, we are expecting a baby ________, 2012. We are happy, we have a plan, we WILL make this work and we know you might be concerned but we ask that if you can't be happy for us, you say nothing at all and we will just leave. We came here to tell you because we consider you family, and this family is changing and we want you to be a part of it. but if you can't be happy for us and welcome this baby with joy, we understand. Our family may be small, and different and this baby may not have come at the traditional time..but you have to trust that we are prepared and truly happy for this child, if you can't be happy with us, we ask that you not be a part of our family anymore."

Taqroy

Holy buckets that announcement is adorable. We waited until 11 weeks to tell my parents. I gave my dad his birthday card early (way early) and got him a "Happy Birthday Grandpa" card. As soon as he opened it he got this huge adorable grin on his face. I put a picture of our first ultrasound in there so when he opened it there was no doubt. It was really really cute actually and I'm glad we did it that way, I will NEVER forget that look on my dad's face. <3

Matt's parents are in Hawaii so we called them and then sent them a picture of the ultrasound while we were on the phone - I heard Matt's mom squeal from three feet away lol. We waited until 13 weeks to tell them, mostly because his grandma is really sick and I didn't want to stress them out/make them more sad if something bad happened. And it worked out because she'd had a really bad day and she was SO happy, she said it was the best news they could have gotten.

The only other person we told in a special way was my sister - I sent her a picture of Mu with a "Congrats Aunt Megan!" sign around her neck. Lol. It was supposed to be Murphy in the picture but he kept rolling over when we put the sign on him. Dork dog.

iluvdogs

With my parents I bought a clear blue digital test that comes up "pregnant" and wrapped it up and we gave it to them and I wish I had a video camera because they had NO IDEA what it was..My dad thought it was a thermometer..LOL

It finally clicked and my mom started to cry because they had NO idea we were even trying..lol

When we told the in-laws the baby was suppose to be a size of a peach so we bought peaches and put baby ribbon around the peach and gave everyone a gift bag with the peach in it and they all had to open it at the sametime...lol

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I just called everyone and said "i'm pregnant". Lol not very exciting i guess but my mom guessed it two weeks earlier before I even knew

LindaJD

Can I just give a little bit of advice, don't be too hard on them if they aren't thrilled at first. I know when my son told us he and his girlfriend were having a baby, I wasn't too happy. I never said anything to her, but I did have a heart to heart with him. He was only 23 and she was only 21. They were living paycheck to paycheck and having a baby was the last thing they needed. Their relationship was also rocky and they had just gotten back together after a bad break up. We have come around, gone to the ultrasounds and bought all their nursery furniture and she is due Nov 6th. I still wish they had waited, but I already love her and am looking forward to meeting her anyday now.

milos_mommy

So far I've only told my mom and two friends.

My mom I had take me to the dr the day after I took a HPC and just told her in the doctor's office. I was just like "soo I had to come to the dr because I'm pregnant". She said "how?" *smacks forehead*.

She wants me to tell my dad and brother tonight. I'm only 8 weeks, but I live with them and apparently they're all worried because of how much I'm throwing up, etc. My dad has FOUR kids, so I have no idea how he hasn't figured it out yet.

But as far as other people - my other friends, I'm probably going to write it in their Christmas cards, since I'll be 12 weeks on Thanksgiving.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Haven't had to deal with this yet since I have no kids and I'm definitely not pregnant. I have thought about ideas though and I think I'd love to wait until I can do an ultrasound and then print the photo and frame copies for mine and his parents. I would want to come up with something creative to add to it. As far as outside of family... I guess I'd just point blank say it.

Though... When I do eventually end up pregnant I don't want to tell many people right away. I had a miscarriage quite a few years ago at 3.5 months and I would just worry about telling everyone and then that happening again.

Well I told my mother over the phone (and she actually took it quite well) And he told his mother both were around 4 ish months, it "leaked" to the rest of his family lol and they were all there when I had my little monkey. I told my family 2 days after I had him :/

Fran27

So far I've only told my mom and two friends.

My mom I had take me to the dr the day after I took a HPC and just told her in the doctor's office. I was just like "soo I had to come to the dr because I'm pregnant". She said "how?" *smacks forehead*.

She wants me to tell my dad and brother tonight. I'm only 8 weeks, but I live with them and apparently they're all worried because of how much I'm throwing up, etc. My dad has FOUR kids, so I have no idea how he hasn't figured it out yet.

But as far as other people - my other friends, I'm probably going to write it in their Christmas cards, since I'll be 12 weeks on Thanksgiving.
:rofl1: at your dad.

I can't really help. We just told people we were adopting.

milos_mommy

Barbara, did you tell your parents? I'm dying to know!

I told my dad this weekend. It was...interesting. We were driving around looking for gas, and he was asking about being in the ER, he was like "why were you dehydrated?" and I said "from throwing up" and he was like "well why were you throwing up? Don't know?" and I was like "I know why." and he said "why?" and I said "I'm pregnant" and his face got white as a sheet and he didn't say anything for like 3 straight minutes and then he said "well what are you going to do?" and I said "keep the baby" and he said "well that's cool." and that he's excited to have a little baby around. He did say he it's too bad I couldn't be having a baby with someone I want to stay with, and I know he's a little worried, but it wasn't so bad.

My mom told my brother. Without me there. I was PISSED, but I won't tell her. She was "worried" my brother wouldn't understand or would be confused. My brother's 18 years old and brilliant and understands mostly everything 1000 times better than my parents do. He did ask my mom why I would have a baby with someone who isn't my boyfriend, but he also told me he'd help with the baby and he knew where they had lamaze classes at his school and he'd get his friend who knits to make the baby a blanket. I still wish I got to tell him, but what's done is done.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
My cousin put a picture up on Facebook that I thought was super cute, it was her husband holding a sign saying "we are" and then she was holding out a Prego tomato sauce jar :p

Grab

We made a slideshow with the title "What does Aesop want for Christmas". It had a bunch of photos of Aesop with different things, with text like "Does he want an XBox? Not this year" and so on, and then finally a pic of him with the ultrasound pic. (We'd waited until after the 12 wk mark)

Amusingly, only my mom actually WATCHED the slideshow, as I think the lad's family thought we were just posting dog pics again, lol.

No plans to have any more, but if I did I think I'd have a temporary tattoo made on etsy that said 'Big Brother, est. (due date)" and plop it on the kiddo's arm for a pic. Maybe I'll do that the next time I get a puppy, lol

Barbara!

Told my Dad. I just basically came out and said it in the middle of the commercials for a show, and he said "Nuh-uh". And I said "Yup..." and when I told him about all the tests he says "Well those things can be wrong sometimes" and I said "8 of them?". It took a little back and forth like that before he was like "I'm going to be a Grandpa before 50...". Lol. There was some sighing, but he took it well.

jenv101

Bite Club
We told my mom by buying her a present - it was a little onesie that said "here comes trouble" on it. My dad and my husbands parents we just told over the phone because they don't live close by. We told parents a bit earlier - around 8 weeks I think.

After 12 weeks:

Our Facebook and Chaz announcement was this:

And everyone else, we just told when we saw them.

milos_mommy

We made a slideshow with the title "What does Aesop want for Christmas". It had a bunch of photos of Aesop with different things, with text like "Does he want an XBox? Not this year" and so on, and then finally a pic of him with the ultrasound pic. (We'd waited until after the 12 wk mark)
This made me laugh so hard, IDK why. "Not this year!" :rofl1:

I don't think I want to make a formal announcement on FB. I'll tell all my close friends/family in person or via x-mas card/phone call. Everyone else can hear it through the grapevine.

Members online

No members online now.