When can I bring Leo to Petco?

kitcatak

Chow Chow Lover
Ok, Leo got his 3rd set of shots today. I figured tomorrow we would go to Petco and get a little socializing in (he is shy around men for some reason). I saw a new vet today and she said I have to wait 2 more weeks! Does this sound right to you? It is killing me to not be able to bring Leo to these places. All puppies need socializing, especially Chows and especially puppies that are leary of men. How long did YOU wait to bring puppy to public places? I want to go anyway, but I don't want to risk my puppies health.

Fran27

I would wait the 2 weeks, it's as long as it takes for the vaccination to take effect really :(

I took Tips just after his 4 month shot, but it was his 4th set so the vet said it would be fine and we didn't have to wait. And he met lots of people and dogs at the rescue he came from and at the vet the 3 times I went too... He's still shy with other dogs, but he doesn't bark or anything, and he's great with people.

I know thsi is off topic, but it baffles me when I here how many shots dogs in other places (other than the uk) have to have

Julie

I am back again.
Gallien Jacks said:
I know thsi is off topic, but it baffles me when I here how many shots dogs in other places (other than the uk) have to have
How many shots are recommened in the UK?
Just curious. Maybe disease is not as prevalent there?

I was reading up on shots and protection the otherday.
The first shot has really no protection, until you get the second shot which will help make the first shot react to start building immunity to the diseases.
But even then you only get very minimal protection in a puppy until it reaches 16 weeks old and the fourth shot. So you should probably wait the two weeks for the third shot to take effect, cause it is not immediate.
And with all the disease and unvaccinated puppies(people not knowing any better) in petco, you should wait and not take any chances. Hey it's only two weeks. :D

Here puppys are vaccinated at 9 weeks then again at 11 weeks and thats it, just yearly boosters after that

Fran27

The thing is, the mom's immunizations usually last until the pups are 16 weeks, so the vaccination done prior to that is basically useless.

It's just too weird, I know in France they don't agree either, you would think people would make up their mind about something so important.

Fran27 said:
The thing is, the mom's immunizations usually last until the pups are 16 weeks, so the vaccination done prior to that is basically useless.

It's just too weird, I know in France they don't agree either, you would think people would make up their mind about something so important.
Well, that is what has been done here since I have had dogs 25years ago, and prob for years before that, so it must work!

Members online