Colors of your Breed?

Dekka

Just try me..
JRTs must be over 51% white.

They can be black and white, tan and white and tri. They come in sable and white but that usually gets registered as tan and white (Dekka is sable, as are all the Dekklets)

Ticking is just fine. Brindle markings are not. Dilutes are not favoured. Nose leather is to be black.

S

Squishy22

Reggin, that color is "champagne", but it's one that has been bred into the dogs by irresponsible breeders and byb just breeding for color alone. In fact, the term is even challenged by reputable APBT owner/breeders because it is a fashion-derived term.

This constant breeding of blues to blues and the dilution effect happening is not just creating a whole host of "new" coat colors, but a whole host of new dogs with new issues that are not positive ones for our breed.
I had no idea. Thanks for letting me know. I just thought it was very pretty.

That is a shame. I dont come across too many APBTs that are that color. More often than not, I come across blue, which I dont care for. Probably because most of them are too bulky and over sized.

Red nose pitties are usually a lot better looking. Better put together.

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
Yorkies are supposed to be Blue and tan.. Alot are black for somereason. Most yorkies you see are BYB or puppymill bred. Therefore most are black and are unaware of their true color..

And the german shepherd comes in a variety or colors. Blues,Blan tan, Liver, White. Etc etc.

4GSD - Coat Colours

There is a solid long coat liver colored GSD that comes around here often And Ive grown to love him.. hes gorgous.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
German Shepherds can come in a few colors, I've been studying genetics recently :)

Black
Black & Tan
White
Liver
Blue
Panda colored (supposedly a spontaneous mutation by UC Davis, it wasn't introduced by adding in another breed)
Sable (which can go with any of the colors mentioned above)

The white, liver, and blue are considered a disqualifying fault by the AKC, their standard doesn't encompass the "panda" coloration as far as I've seen. There was some debate years ago (I think int he late 60's early 70's) over a blue CH titled dog...they since did away with it being a showable color. All colors are registerable.

There's a bigger variance in coat type and pattern though.

A saddle back (what most people can pick out right away as being a GSD)
http://www.gshepherd-dog.com/images/german-shepherd-dog.JPG

Blanket Black and Tan
http://www.total-german-shepherd.com/images/GermanShepherdsBNR.jpg

Bi-color (like Kenya)
http://www.shawlein.com/The_Standard/07_Colour_&_Pigment/Images/3 Bicolour.JPG

White
http://www.geocities.com/norstar_k9/White_German_Shepherd.jpg

Liver
http://www.gaardog.com/liver.jpg

Blue
http://www.total-german-shepherd.com/images/BlueBonnie9weeks.jpg

Black
http://z.about.com/d/dogs/1/0/_/r/bodie_gsd_snowdogs040.jpg

Panda
http://www.shawlein.com/The_Standard/13_Breed_Type/panda.JPG

Sable
http://www.total-german-shepherd.com/images/GSDsableDK.jpg

S

Squishy22

Treeing Walker Coonhounds come in tricolor. They can be blanketback-like Uncle Fred, saddleback, or open spotted. Excessive amounts of ticking on the white are undesirable. Every so often there are dogs with no black, and they are interesting but not proper.

Beagles come in all acceptable hound colors, which makes me wonder if they can be brindle or merle, since there are hounds in these colors. I met a brindle one once, which looked purebred, but who knows.
I had no idea that the ones without black were not proper. I've been wondering about that. Madisons great grandad (also our neighbor) breeds these dogs for hunting. And I think he shows too. He calls the ones with no black "lemon".

Some of his lemons...

This dog is almost completely white...

Lemon puppy.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Shelties are pretty easy. You basically have three coat colours: sable, bi-black, and tri.
The sable is the brown/tan colour. There's a range of names that people have created to try and describe the different levels of sable, like golden sable (more yellow-y), red sable (like Auggie's coat is pretty reddish), and shaded sable (lots of black) but sable is pretty much sable.
A bi-black is just black and white, no brown.
The tri is black, white, and brown.

On all of these you can have the merling which gives you a sable merle, bi-blue, and blue merle respectively.

The colour-headed white is a dog that is so heavily white factored they basically have no colouring anywhere but on their head.
And then of course there's the double merle in shelties as well.

MicksMom

GSPs come in both liver and black, but black is a DQ in the show ring.
Only in AKC. Black GSPs can be shown in the conformation ring in UKC. ;)

Labs come in three colors- black, yellow and chocolate. From the LRC's website:
Color
The Labrador Retriever coat colors are black, yellow and chocolate. Any other color or a combination of colors is a disqualification. A small white spot on the chest is permissible, but not desirable. White hairs from aging or scarring are not to be misinterpreted as brindling. Black - Blacks are all black. A black with brindle markings or a black with tan markings is a disqualification. Yellow - Yellows may range in color from fox-red to light cream, with variations in shading on the ears, back, and underparts of the dog. Chocolate - Chocolates can vary in shade from light to dark chocolate. Chocolate with brindle or tan markings is a disqualification.

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
He is a saddle.

Blanket-Backs have extended saddle markings that go roughly to the area of their elbows, and give the appearance of a "blanket" rather than a "saddle" on their backs.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
I had no idea that the ones without black were not proper. I've been wondering about that. Madisons great grandad (also our neighbor) breeds these dogs for hunting. And I think he shows too. He calls the ones with no black "lemon".

Some of his lemons...

This dog is almost completely white...

Lemon puppy.

I do think those are cute dogs, but both the UKC and AKC breed standards have this language:

Color
Tri-colored is preferred, white, black and tan. White may be the predominant color with black marking and tan trim; or black may be the predominant color with white marking and tan trim, such as a saddle back or blanket back. White with tan spots or white with black spots may be accepted. Fault – any other color combination will be penalized when shown

When I look at bench show results from the UKC, the winners are always tri, and usually blanket back at that. Of course, hunters can use any color dog, and seem very intrigued by odd colors. I know there is a guy that hunts a bitch with one calico ear.

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
Are lemon beagles Accepted? Ive seen Alot of them. A few even from reputable breeders that do healthtesting ad hunt.

Bodi's Mom

Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy
BMD - Tri-Color only. DQ for absence of a white blaze or for a blaze too large, the presence of a "Swiss Kiss", and also for lack of white on all four paws....and although not related to color, a Berner would be DQ'd for unsure or aggressive behavior.

S

Squishy22

I do think those are cute dogs, but both the UKC and AKC breed standards have this language:

Color
Tri-colored is preferred, white, black and tan. White may be the predominant color with black marking and tan trim; or black may be the predominant color with white marking and tan trim, such as a saddle back or blanket back. White with tan spots or white with black spots may be accepted. Fault – any other color combination will be penalized when shown

When I look at bench show results from the UKC, the winners are always tri, and usually blanket back at that. Of course, hunters can use any color dog, and seem very intrigued by odd colors. I know there is a guy that hunts a bitch with one calico ear.
That is very interesting. I dont know why, but there is something about the lemons that I find intriguing. I dont think hes shown in years. In fact, his first breed was beagles.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
4D3C - he's a saddle back...Lacey is a blanket, if you look at her pictures the black comes all the way forward to her shoulders and partially down her back legs. When she was younger she didn't have all the lighter hair on the back legs and was black completely to her hocks.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Pemmies -
Red, Sable, Fawn, Black and tan - with or without white markings. Serious faults - whitelies, mismarks, bluies, black and white with no tan.

Malinois ~ FCI ~ Only fawn with black overlay and with black mask.
They can be - disallowed - black and possibly brindle, although I have heard conflicting ideas as to if a "brindle mal" is a mal or if it's a dutchie being falsely advertised.
When I was registering Nyx, the AKC papers listed quite a few color choices - fawn, sable, red, mahogany...I don't recall what else.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
What's the allowance with white spots? I've seen a lot of nice Mal puppies that have white toes or white on their chest?

Members online

No members online now.