the wood floor isn't the toilet!

antipunt1

Hello Chazhound,

this isn't really that urgent or anything but I thought I'd throw it up for educational/future purposes.

I'm trying to understand the psychology behind effectively training the dog to use the yard as the bathroom, and avoid the inside of the house. As I see it, this is so far things I've been doing:
1) use cleaners to wipe out the scent of where they laid their waste
2) attach a positive stimulus (treat) for going outside

Still, puppy Wanta goes in the house whenever we let her roam a while. My question is, it seems this is because (from a pure psychological standpoint) there isn't a negative stimulus (punishment) for going inside.

Granted I'll never do that (I'm against punishing a dog for going inside because it's not fair/its their instinct). But it's just that I have some trouble putting 2 and 2 together. HOW does a dog learn not to go inside, without punishment? (ex: rat touches the lever; level shocks rat. Rat learns never to touch the lever)

Thx in advance :p

Maxy24

Habit mostly, plus prevention and interruption. The dog learns it's awesome to go potty outside and that going inside is impossible because whenever he gets the urge or begins to go he is brought outside immediately. He learns the urge signals time to go outside and finds going outside even more rewarding than going inside (though you should try your hardest to prevent any accidents through supervision). Eventually a habit will form and the dog will just naturally want to do his business outside.

bubbatd

Tether the dog to you and take outside when needed . House breaking isn't hard ... just takes time and dedication .

antipunt1

"plus prevention and INTERRUPTION."
THERE is my problem there *slaps forehead*. dang it, I knew I was missing something. that's the key to the puzzle. thank you.

"Eventually a habit will form and the dog will just naturally want to do his business outside. "
ok

Members online

No members online now.