Puppy Vaginitis

Mikro

Our Vet has been treating our 16 week old Golden for vaginitis for about nine weeks now. She gets Simplicef for the treatment. The Vet said this could go away by the medication or it could go away after the first heat cycle or even spaying.
But he also said it could be an ongoing problem even when she gets older...

Has anyone had any experience with this ?

Julie

I am back again.
Does your pup have an inverted vulva or juvenile vulva?
If she does, do not spay before her first heat, letting her go into her first heat could easily correct the problem. The vulva after a first heat will somewhat pop out to correct this problem, usually.... If it doesn't happen to correct itself after the first heat, then many vets will do a surgery to remove the extra fold of skin that collects bacterica, and do the spay at the same time. But do not be fooled into an early spay, if your dog has this problem.
:)

Mikro

Does your pup have an inverted vulva or juvenile vulva?
If she does, do not spay before her first heat, letting her go into her first heat could easily correct the problem. The vulva after a first heat will somewhat pop out to correct this problem, usually.... If it doesn't happen to correct itself after the first heat, then many vets will do a surgery to remove the extra fold of skin that collects bacterica, and do the spay at the same time. But do not be fooled into an early spay, if your dog has this problem.
:)
I'm not sure what an inverted vs. juvenile vulva would look like...

Julie

I am back again.
This will sound gross.... but it is the only way I can explain it....

If you can grab the few strands of hair coming out of the dogs vulva and pull up a good bit of folded skin (that tends to trap bacteria) around the vulva... sometimes it can be minor and sometimes it is very noticeable... like most of the vulva is tucked inside instead of sticking out.

But if your dog had this problem, I would assume the vet would have mentioned it, during the exams and treatments.... If you are unsure just give that vet a call. :)

Scooter

Yes our pup had this. The vet said it's quite common and would clear up on it's own...which it did in just a few days.

Members online