stinky dog butts

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
Ruckus doesnt smell at all... but his rear end has been stinking for a while now. the smell is no where else on his body. there isnt poop stuck on it. i brushed the hair down there really good and used a pet wipe. it still stinks. on a scale of 1 to 10 ten being the worse.. this butt odar is a 7
lol, are dog butts supposed to smell? does he need his anal glands squeezed?

Does he have soft stools or nice hard ones? Dogs that have nice hard poop usually don't need their anal glands expressed as often.

Has he been scooting his butt along the floor?

If he hasn't been to a vet lately, I would take him in. They can show you how to properly express them and also check to make sure there isn't something wrong.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
no butt scooting, and his poops are a bit on the soft side.
he hasnt seen a vet since before i brought him home. i can look on his records, but i am sure it was just for his last shots that he needed. being as old as he is now i bet he needs a check up.

and it actually does smell fishy! what does that indicate? i better book an apointment huh?

nancy2394

It definately sound like he needs his anal glands expressed from what you're describing. You can mistaken that awful fishy nasty butt odor when their anal glands aren't draining properly. It's one of those smells you never forget...ewwww.

If you are unfamiliar on how to do this.. I'd take him to the vet and have him checked over to assure that is the problem and have them show you how to express them should the need arise again in the future.

I know with my pug I had... it would happen on occasion.. sometimes more frequently and I was spending a fortune going to the vet and having them do it. They are the ones that told me I could do it myself and showed me how to do it. It's a gross task, but it made my dog feel so much better afterward.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
alright! i will call the vet monday. i know someone who knows how to do it but i want to get him check up anyway. we have two vets here in town so i will have to decided. oh great....

bubbatd

A reminder to all . Check out the vets in your area when you think you're getting a dog . Just visit ......you can get an idea of the whole operation when you go up to the reception desk.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
both of the vets here in town are so so.
but it doesnt take a super dupper good vet to squeeze his anal glands and give him a generally check up. for anything major he is going my my vet the next town over where i take the bunnies

Members online

No members online now.