Chaz Moms and Moms-to-Be Chat (everyone welcome)

MM, the longer you have practice contractions, the easier your labor will be (or so said my midwife). :)

Taqroy, she doesn't like being naked but we had it super warm in there with a space heater blowing on her. That being said, she hated the photo shoot and screamed the whole time. She hates not being held (something we are now working on after yesterday) so every time we tried to set her down, she woke up and wailed. It was awful. LOL

jenv101

Bite Club
How many weeks are you MM? You shouldn't have to be induced until 42 weeks as long as you and baby are doing fine.

Those pics are to die for Allison! I wish we could have done that but it just wasn't in the budget.

Coconut oil is great for diaper rash too. Which I haven't had to deal much with thank goodness.

Paige

Let it be
I think the part I have a hard time with is Blake is a really adavanced baby. I don't want to see him pass Briggs in development.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
I think the part I have a hard time with is Blake is a really adavanced baby. I don't want to see him pass Briggs in development.
I understand , the twins are more advanced then Caleb and there is a whole decade between them .

Just realize there is no comparison. ever. that is hard for new mothers to do , I did it for a long time , it is natural to look to your kids and compare them to others. even more so when you know something is different and still exploring what all the differences are. Just remind yourself that while Blake will do a.b.c better there will also be X.y.z. that Briggs will master and Blake will struggle with.

Calebs hand eye coordination blows me away , he is the best in Temple run getting MILLONS of points before he dies . the others in the house can only get about half his score. We can all spell school though , even the 4 yr olds .
I can ask Caleb how you spell it and he will say Skowl.

Please look into a support group , they help. Even to just talk to someone who is going through the same thing. Ideas bounced off each other. and to not feel alone. HUGS HUGS

Grieve for the boy you hoped he would be and alter that vision a little into the boy he will become and hold onto that one.

Taqroy

Taqroy, she doesn't like being naked but we had it super warm in there with a space heater blowing on her. That being said, she hated the photo shoot and screamed the whole time. She hates not being held (something we are now working on after yesterday) so every time we tried to set her down, she woke up and wailed. It was awful. LOL
Ah, yeah Falon screeched the entire time she was naked for weeks. Do you have a babywearing device so you don't have to actively hold her? I loved my sling the first couple weeks but I've recently discovered the mei tai and wrap love (and you can use all of them with fresh babies). My husband puts her in the mei tai and then plays WoW lol.

Coconut oil is great for diaper rash too. Which I haven't had to deal much with thank goodness.
Good to know! Diaper rash is sucky. The most effective thing we've done is making sure Falon's butt is totally dry before we put the new diaper on.

jenv101

Bite Club
I had to cut out dairy. It was giving her silent reflux and diaper rash! Haven't had it since.

Allison if your nipples are really bad ask your midwife to prescribe dr newmans all purpose nipple ointment ( if she hasn't already) it's awesome stuff!

I have a Beco Gemini but because of my hematoma, I can only wear it for short time periods right now. She did like it the one time we tried it though!

Jen my one nipple was bleeding a little at first but now that we are getting a deeper latch, it's getting much better. But I have heard about this miracle Newmans ointment so it's in the back of my mind!

milos_mommy

How many weeks are you MM? You shouldn't have to be induced until 42 weeks as long as you and baby are doing fine.
I'm only +39 weeks, but last midwife I saw seemed to think it was possible the baby's growth had stopped/slowed because of placenta or cord deterioration or I was measuring small from low fluid.

When I told one of my regular midwives, she pretty much rolled her eyes and said we're fine. They will do another sono at 41 weeks to check, but as of now there's no indication anything might be wrong and I don't need one.

Paige

Let it be
I understand , the twins are more advanced then Caleb and there is a whole decade between them .

Just realize there is no comparison. ever. that is hard for new mothers to do , I did it for a long time , it is natural to look to your kids and compare them to others. even more so when you know something is different and still exploring what all the differences are. Just remind yourself that while Blake will do a.b.c better there will also be X.y.z. that Briggs will master and Blake will struggle with.

Calebs hand eye coordination blows me away , he is the best in Temple run getting MILLONS of points before he dies . the others in the house can only get about half his score. We can all spell school though , even the 4 yr olds .
I can ask Caleb how you spell it and he will say Skowl.

Please look into a support group , they help. Even to just talk to someone who is going through the same thing. Ideas bounced off each other. and to not feel alone. HUGS HUGS

Grieve for the boy you hoped he would be and alter that vision a little into the boy he will become and hold onto that one.
Thank-you for that. I know Blake is already more into social interaction and it comes naturally to him so its not really fair to compare Briggs to him at all. Briggs has an obsession with numbers rand I have a feeling all that nutritional label reading and other little "quirky"things he does are really just his mind at work doing something more brilliant than I can understand. He is not a very friendly kid. New people and new environments with rules and structure are not where he thrives. He has a hard time transitioning from something he likes and his interests are so different that its hard to take him to preschool programs because his heart is not in conforming.

I have the best of both worlds going on. I can see Blake is developing at a typical rate, if not more advanced. Briggs was already showing signs of autism at 7-8 months (hindsight is 20/20 as we all know)... but Briggs has been such a little blessing. I see everything in a new way because of his interests. He isn't the most physically affectionate kiddo but my whole world stops when he comes to give me a hug. Its hard watching him struggle but all children have their struggles. But, I also have to remind myself he isn't always struggling. He is excelling in areas other toddlers aren't even aware of. His development didn't stop along the way. He just took a different fork in the road.

I am really grateful that I get to experience both sides of the coin. Typical and nontypical development. Its so interesting to watch them flourish in such different ways.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
This made me think of Welcome to Holland... have you heard this before Paige?

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this......

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away... because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss.

But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland.
It's beautiful and sad but I think it's very poignant. You might want to put it somewhere and read it whenever you're struggling. Because you are lucky, Paige... you get to see Holland AND Italy!

milos_mommy

At what pain level should contractions be worrisome? ):
Everyone feels them differently, so pain level isn't what makes them worrisome or not. If you're not full term and having painful contractions, I'd call the dr. If you are full term, it will depend more on if they're regular or increasing in frequency and intensity...

Barbara!

36 weeks. They had me in tears for about an hour, but I drank about a gallon of water and layed and they eventually went away.

milos_mommy

I don't think that's anything to be worried about, but I'd mention it to the dr just in case. Sounds like dehydration triggered contractions, though.

I agree, pain is too subjective to be a reliable way of determining whether you should be concerned. It's good that they stopped but I'd still let your doctor know.

milos_mommy

People are hilarious when you're having a baby. Most of my good friends are 21-26 year old single guys who are no where near even thinking about children.

Today, one of them sent me an article on "A New Study" that proves exclusively breastfed infants have stronger immune systems and faster brain development. I was like "...pretty sure that's not new info" so then he proceeded to reassure me that babies lose 7-10% of their bodyweight in the first week and it doesn't mean I'm not lactating enough so I shouldn't give up.

Then his younger brother frantically called to make sure I didn't forget to pack for the hospital.

Another one commented on his ex-girlfriend: "Don't let her hold your baby. She loves to press on their fontanelles." :rofl1:

Members online

No members online now.