favorite uncommon baby names

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Ian is uncommon? I've always had one or two Ian's in my class. I taught 1 this past year too (which is crazy, since only about 5% of my kids had traditional "American" names).

My name is Karen, which I thought was perfect (not the name, necessarily, but the commonality of it). There was never more than 1 other Karen in my grade, but EVERYONE knows the name and knows how to spell it. My sister Diane is the same way. Both names were popular about 30 years before we were born, so they are familiar but not common.

Maybe that's what I like--familiar names. I don't like names that I don't recognize immediately as being names!
Ian ranks as name #72 in 2011 with SSA. The name Parker (one of our possible names) is #79. I've never met a Parker, and I've only known one other Ian while I was in school.

It's horrible when he tells someone his name, or if we order food and they try to "read" the name. He's gotten everything from "Eon," "eye-on", "Ivan," "Ann"... and then has to correct them.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I am guessing Jer-odd (jer pronounced like her). I assume because my neighbor is Jerron and I thought he said jerod with that same pronounciation.

My name (Tanya) was failty common when i was in school. In 7th grsde there were three of us but I never felt like less of an individual because i had the same name. My identity is not wrapped up in my name for me, it's my personality that makes me who I am and an individual.

Hannah is a very common name but I also find it to be such a beautiful name. Then her middle name is marie (just like mine) so she has a pretty generic name I suppose but with her personality she likely won't ever be "just another hannah"

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Marlie ranks as 893, Nora is at 137, Summer is 173, and Ryland is 453. I figured that Ryland and Marlie were very uncommon! lol. I don't think they're unusual names, though.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
LOL Ann? Poor Ian...

(though now I'm wondering if I've been saying his name wrong around y'all :p )
You've been saying it right lol. E-in. lol.

Yep, people have been like "Ann?" Haha. I get so frustrated when I call in for takeout, or do an online order and put his name. Rarely do they say or spell it correctly!

Lyzelle

I am guessing Jer-odd (jer pronounced like her). I assume because my neighbor is Jerron and I thought he said jerod with that same pronounciation.
Good deal! I'll have to tell him someone out there had the right guess. :D

I always liked the name Hannah, too.

JessLough

Love My Mutt

My name (Tanya) was failty common when i was in school. In 7th grsde there were three of us but I never felt like less of an individual because i had the same name. My identity is not wrapped up in my name for me, it's my personality that makes me who I am and an individual.

Hannah is a very common name but I also find it to be such a beautiful name. Then her middle name is marie (just like mine) so she has a pretty generic name I suppose but with her personality she likely won't ever be "just another hannah"
Yah.. it definitely wasn't me that was "just another Jessica" in my mind, it was when around other people, being referred to as "one of the Jessicas". Unless my parents sheltered me completely, it was going to happen, cause I was going to meet people who would do it.

CaliTerp07

Ian ranks as name #72 in 2011 with SSA. The name Parker (one of our possible names) is #79. I've never met a Parker, and I've only known one other Ian while I was in school.

It's horrible when he tells someone his name, or if we order food and they try to "read" the name. He's gotten everything from "Eon," "eye-on", "Ivan," "Ann"... and then has to correct them.
Ehh, I attribute that more to difficulty processing names than anything else. My Starbucks order always says "Carrie" or "Kara", and Zach's is always "Jack" without fail. Which is funny, because he is the least "Jack" like person there is.

Was Ian ever more popular? I think that would be an interesting thing to look at. I would bet that one day Jessica will probably drop down to the 70's on the SSA's list, but no one's going to find it uncommon for a very long time, since so many people from previous generations are named that. It's like, I don't know anyone named Linda under 40 years old, but I'd never call that name unique, even though naming a baby today Linda would definitely make her the only one in school.

I worked with two Parkers, both girls. It's funny how those androgynous names tend to be very strongly associated boy/girl in my head! I can't picture Parker as a boy's name, even though I know logically it can be. I had both a girl and a boy Jordan in the same period last year--that was a trip.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
My sister has a really unpopular name, apparently! It's Kerri, which was last ranked at 974 in 1998! The spelling Kerry was last ranked at 973 in 2003.

I thought it was more common than that!

My son's name is Darian Stefan, the male person wants to name our daughter Serenity Leigh (should we ever have one......he wants 7 kids!!!!!:yikes: don't see that happening!)

Lyzelle

Ehh, I attribute that more to difficulty processing names than anything else. My Starbucks order always says "Carrie" or "Kara", and Zach's is always "Jack" without fail. Which is funny, because he is the least "Jack" like person there is.
Speaking of which! They managed to butcher MY name once. I was like...how do you mess up, "Elizabeth"? I must have a lisp or something.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!

Was Ian ever more popular? I think that would be an interesting thing to look at. I would bet that one day Jessica will probably drop down to the 70's on the SSA's list, but no one's going to find it uncommon for a very long time, since so many people from previous generations are named that. It's like, I don't know anyone named Linda under 40 years old, but I'd never call that name unique, even though naming a baby today Linda would definitely make her the only one in school.

I worked with two Parkers, both girls. It's funny how those androgynous names tend to be very strongly associated boy/girl in my head! I can't picture Parker as a boy's name, even though I know logically it can be. I had both a girl and a boy Jordan in the same period last year--that was a trip.
Haha, I can't picture Parker as a girl!

Jessica is ranked 120 in 2011. It hasn't been in the top 10 since 2000.

Ian's name was at 81 when he was born. The lowest it's hit was 65 in 2003.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Is Carrie on the list? That's how I would spell it.
It's not pronounced like Carrie, though. It's pronounced like "County Kerry" in Ireland. She's not named after that, though- my parents just liked the name! But Carrie is pronounced like "carry," and my sister's is pronounced like "berry" with a k.

CaliTerp07

See? Just like that. :p
?

I don't understand. You mean making assumptions about personality based on names? It's scientifically proven that names shape personality and success to some extent. It's to be expected that everyone has assumptions or ideas about certain names based on their experiences. Jack, to me, is a very traditional name.

CaliTerp07

It's not pronounced like Carrie, though. It's pronounced like "County Kerry" in Ireland. She's not named after that, though- my parents just liked the name! But Carrie is pronounced like "carry," and my sister's is pronounced like "berry" with a k.
Okay, now I'm SUPER confused! I pronounce "carry" and "berry" exactly the same way!!!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
?

I don't understand. You mean making assumptions about personality based on names? It's scientifically proven that names shape personality and success to some extent. It's to be expected that everyone has assumptions or ideas about certain names based on their experiences. Jack, to me, is a very traditional name.
She said she'd never lump names together, and that Hannah would never be "just another Hannah".

I said that it happens, it certainly wasn't my parents or I saying I was "just another Jessica", but the lumping of the same names happens, it's inevitable.

Then you just happened to lump Jacks together :p

Members online

No members online now.