What are your concerns about boarding kennels?

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
To be fair A LOT of dogs will NOT touch lunch at daycare. We routinely give dogs food back when they don't eat it for lunch. Medication on the other hand, if they request it, it will be given. Even if we have to pill the dog, they get it. :p

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
To be fair A LOT of dogs will NOT touch lunch at daycare. We routinely give dogs food back when they don't eat it for lunch. Medication on the other hand, if they request it, it will be given. Even if we have to pill the dog, they get it. :p
Oh, I totally understand that. I just have a hard time believing that this would be the only day Juno chooses not to eat lunch. The only times she has refused to eat (2 times in her life lol) were times when she was super sick. Otherwise she's an obsessive eater and has never shown signs of being uncomfortable eating in different environments or being fed by different people.

The whole place gave me a weird vibe though, so I wouldn't have liked it whether Juno ate or not. :p

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
I chose my kennel because my vet could not say enough about how wonderful it was, and how much her dogs loved it. I went in and took a tour, and was happy with it myself - it seemed very secure and the staff was lovely. They had no problems accommodating my dogs' raw diets, and determined their suitability for play groups on a case-by-case - I have a bunch of in tact females, some of which are fine in groups of dogs and some of which are decidedly NOT. They were good about allowing Liz in play time, despite her uterus ;) because she is never a problem.

The kicker was the second time I took Daisy, who has seperation-from-mom issues, and she walked right in & didn't look back :) Also, the fact that every time I pick her up someone is gushing about what an incredible dog she is. And someone there even likes Rage, bless their hearts ;)

Brattina88

See, I had the opposite problem several years back. I gave a container of food with a measuring cup and simple directions on how much to feed... and way more than enough food, just in case. We picked the dogs up a day early (because our trip ended early) and ALL of the dog food was gone, both dogs looked FAT, and the young girl at the desk tried to charge us for having to be fed their crap food :mad: :mad: it was awful

There were other reasons as well, but I have NEVER boarded my dogs again.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I agree with less kennel like kennels for housedogs. Solid walls are not that difficult to put in with materials even a determined corner digger can't plow through. The other thing that creates a greatly lessened anxiety situation is putting a normal metal door on a kennel wall to create that room feeling that most dogs are already very used to. I also highly suggest outdoor runs having at least 5 feet of solid wall/divider between runs. I've seen way too many that were just courting fencefights.

I also can't think of a kennel I've been to with sound proofing. Sound reducing yes, with use of sound barrier walls I think my favorite low tech one was a place that put straw bales along the initial perimeter fence around the kennel building. It was super effective but still yeah-you could hear noise through it. That said, modular sound proof kennels do exist-they're crazy expensive and usually used for behavior laboratories but yes, I have seen ads for them.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
No boarding kennels for my dogs. I trust very, very few people with my animals (a few are on Chaz, actually). Either they stay with those trusted people or I just don't go.
I'm sure there are great ones, just like there are bad ones. They're just not for me or my dog. Millie would come with me wherever I went anyway as my SD, but neither of us can really stand to be separated much in any case.

Oh, and don't hire that employee who says, "all dogs love me."
Famous last words.

Members online

No members online now.