"Doodle" Mania! Questions

Ok... I see the latest craze is to cross standard poodles to labs and goldens -- a.k.a. Labradoodles and Goldendoodles. I had the pleasure of meeting one for the first time when I had my Lab in obedience over the summer. From what I understand, it's only a certain cross that gives you the benefits of the breed. I think it's only the first puppies from the first cross? And that you can't breed a Doodle to a Doodle and get the same outcome? My friend wants to look at the Goldendoodle breed and I told her about this site, so hopefully she'll register and be on her soon. She's a dog lover and grew up with goldens, but her husband is allergic. She's heard the Doodles are hypo-allergenic. I've heard about "less shedding", but not hypo-allergenic. Does anyone have insight into this new breeding technique or have any good links? Thanks in advance...

joce

I know a lot of them are sold as hypo allergenic but I don't think you would be able to tell untill the dog was older. We studied way to much dog genetics last semester but now i can't remember half of it! I would assume you could end up with eitheir charecteristics of each breed.

We had beagle/ wire terrier crosses when I was little and one looked like a beagle, and one looked like a wire terrier. I still have the beagle but the wire haired one had a lot of health problems and had to be put down. They were completely different dogs. The lady we got them from rescued from the pound and there were at least three others that looked inbetween the two we got.Thats why I don't really believie that these crosses are so perdictable. I have heard that a great place to get them if your set on it, you know they will be health tested, is rejected service dogs. It doesn't mean they are bad, just not the absolute best for a service dog. Those usually have a long list though, but I know they have been using some of the crosses for a while.

Joce's right. The crossing isn't predictable. A standard poodle would be a great choice for your friend and her husband - just go to the source of the non-allergenic gene! They're really not the frou-frou creatures you see in dog shows. They are hunting/water dogs - like Goldens. If you don't do the clip, you don't get the silly look. (Yes, I know it originally had a purpose, but the poor beasties just look like they would get picked on by all the other dogs that way. Remember the time your Mom sent you to school after she'd 'trimmed' your bangs, or in that AWFUL outfit on the first day? Just imagine the poor Poodle with the show cut at the dog park!) ;)

I agree Renee! I think my 2 would be too embarrassed if I had them clipped in any of the traditional "poodle" clips. My 2 look & act like "regular" dogs. In fact one time I even had a woman who had 2 standards with her actually ask me what breed my 2 were! :rolleyes: She didn't recognize the breed w/o the show clips. :)

Joce was correct too in that it is hard to tell if one of these "designer" breeds is going to more resemble a poodle in shedding, temperment, etc. Litters can vary from pup to pup. About the only thing consistent is the money the breeders of these designer breeds are raking in. In the obed. school we go to there is a goldendoodle that the owners had flown in from Australia - altho he is definitely a cutie I think paying over $1000 for what in reality is a mixed breed is outrageous.

Altho I may be just a little bit prejudiced ;) , I agree that a great choice would be going for a standard poodle from a reputable breeder. They are intelligent and easy to train. They love to swim, play fetch, etc. just like a golden. :)

Thanks, everyone... GREAT info! Aren't standard poodles at the very top of the SMART list, too? And if the hypo-allergenic gene comes from the poodle, than I think that's the way to go -- especially it makes so much sense that pups would vary in their genetics. I'll talk to my friend! (I didn't see her show up here yet)...

Serena's right - they're not completely hypo-allergenic, just more non-allergenic than most breeds. Their lack of significant shedding is a plus in the non-allergy factor.

If you think about it, nothing is completely hypo-allergenic.

Often, what people are really allergic to is not so much the dog (or cat) as the allergens the animals pick up on their coats. I've known people who swore they were horribly allergic to cat fur, but couldn't believe it when mine caused no reaction. Well, guess what - my cats have always been indoor cats! Some people truly are allergic to the dander or to scratches, and I feel so sorry for them. It must be miserable.

noeffort

doodles

Hi,
Have a 11 month old goldendoodle (gloden retriever/standard poodle) "Roxy" that I consider the "perfect dog". Sorry other breed owners, but once you see a "dood" it will be love at first sight. They are big teddy bears and will attract a crowd wherever they go.
No shedding and great family pet. Purchased her when she was 6 months old. Seems most people prefer to have a golden color (like golden retriever).
Roxy is silver color. I'm glad she was passed over or we wouldn't have got her. She is a loving, quiet (hardly ever barks), friendly dog.
I will post picture of her when I get a chance.

Good site to go to is www.goldendoodles.com for pictures of these beautiful animals. I purchased her from lakeridgedoodles.com out of North Carolina and recommend them.

Rose's Gal

noeffort said:
Hi,
Have a 11 month old goldendoodle (gloden retriever/standard poodle) "Roxy" that I consider the "perfect dog". Sorry other breed owners, but once you see a "dood" it will be love at first sight. They are big teddy bears and will attract a crowd wherever they go.
No shedding and great family pet. Purchased her when she was 6 months old. Seems most people prefer to have a golden color (like golden retriever).
Roxy is silver color. I'm glad she was passed over or we wouldn't have got her. She is a loving, quiet (hardly ever barks), friendly dog.
I will post picture of her when I get a chance.

Good site to go to is www.goldendoodles.com for pictures of these beautiful animals. I purchased her from lakeridgedoodles.com out of North Carolina and recommend them.
I'm not even going to get started on this.......I may just end up getting banned. lol ;) (Can't.......control....temper.....lol) Sure 'doodle' dogs might be great dogs, but their are lots of mutts in shelters that need homes, so why go breeding mutts? Ok, I think that is all I'm going to say, but I might just be tempted to say more so watch out....lol

joce

I saw a website the other day with dobe poodle mixes! I couldn't believie it! Its an insult to the breed. THey were pushing them as a great guard dog because it looks cuddly. How horrible :(

EliNHunter

I agree with most. You never what you're going to get with the "mix" of two purebreds. You may get the hypo-allergenic gene, you may not. It's a shot it the dark and it may just be the latest fad with breeders. I talked to my friend about it and she agreed... if it's the hypo-allergenic gene she's looking for, it comes from the Std. Poodle. So why not just get a Standard Poodle? She's now looking at a Standard Poodle pup instead. There's evidence that "mutts" are the best disease-free, illness-fee, dogs there are. I've always loved goldens and may rescue one that's unwanted someday (since I lost my Eli), but I may just rescue a big ole' lovable mutt out of rescue/shelter or whatever. They're just as lovable...
Amy + Hunter

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
why do you have to cross breed them when a poodle itself can make a perfect assistance dog. I think its an insult to the poodles.

EliNHunter

I agree! I think it's just the latest "breeders' fad" which will soon get bred wrong (there's a certain sequence of how they get bred) and they'll end up some freak b@st@rd breed like most popular breeds with all their problems from being overbred and forcing their breed...

avenlee

I agree with everyone opposing this issue. The breeders are dealing with fire here. And what about the minature labradoodles? Geeesh, just the mental picture is horrible in my mind? Breeders shouldn't cater to what people want. They really should have an ethical oath/responsibility not to mix breeds just to profit by catering to the potential "buyer". Almost like cloning either animals or humans... just ethically wrong.

EliNHunter said:
She's now looking at a Standard Poodle pup instead. There's evidence that "mutts" are the best disease-free, illness-fee, dogs there are. I've always loved goldens and may rescue one that's unwanted someday (since I lost my Eli), but I may just rescue a big ole' lovable mutt out of rescue/shelter or whatever. They're just as lovable...
Amy + Hunter
I'm glad to hear your friend is looking at a Standard Poodle. I think they get overlooked by a lot of people because the only time we see them that we're aware of them is in shows with that gawdawful goofy looking clip.

As far as shelter "mutts" go, all but my first German Shepherd, Purdue, were either from the shelter or, in Bimmer's case, he's a rescue someone abandoned at a farm. They've been fabulous German Shepherds; Bear was a GSD/Akita mix and he was just a one in a million dog. Oddly enough, I've never had a single genetic health problem with any of them, and you know how many horror stories you hear about overbred German Shepherds.

Members online

No members online now.