Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

crazy_paws

No thumbs = No mutiny
I see more than a few I'd like to try. I wonder if I can still add these to my Christmas wishlist... :D

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
MY ORDER IS IN!

I got my 5ml vial of White Rabbit, the six imps I ordered, and FOUR bonus imps!

I know a bunch of you have now placed orders or are thinking about placing an order, so I took some pics for you:

The entire haul, with penny for size reference:

The six along the top row are the imps I ordered, the four along the bottom are the random freebies that were sent.

Close-up of the vial. It's REALLY tiny and adorable.

I snorfled every scent in its imp today, and I don't dislike any of them in the vials (except maaaaybe Grave-Pig, I'm reserving judgement), so I'll wear an oil every day and see how it wears, and share it here!

Today's scent is GALVANIC GOGGLES (from the Steamworks collection)

Description: Metallic notes with Indian musk, tobacco flower, and African balsam.

Imp nose: Metal. Sharp metal. Hints of tobacco and musk, for sure.

Wet on skin: More evenly balanced metal and tobacco.

Dry on skin: Tobacco and balsam. I smell like a cigar shop. *EDIT* Scratch that - I smell the musk now, just a hint. I now smell like an Indian smoke shop.

Last edited:

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Hokay,

Today's scent is DRAGON'S MILK (from the Ars Draconis collection. Renee, you were interested in this one!)

Description: A truly fae nectar! Dragon's blood resin and honeyed vanilla.

Imp nose: OooooOOOOOooooohhh. I love the scent of Dragon's Blood resin (I keep some no-flame incense of it in my bedroom), and the mixture with honeyed vanilla is apparant. Sweet and musky. mmm.

Wet on skin: Hmm. The Dragon's Blood is less apparant, and the vanilla is going a little stale...

Dry on skin: ... Sickly sweet. It almost smells as if a lychee has gone rotten. No sign of Dragon's Blood. Unfortunate... I really like the smell of this one in-vial. I bet it would smell amazing on someone else, unfortunately my body's alchemy does not mesh with it. :(

M

MyHorseMyRules

Allie, I hope the Dragon's Milk smells better on me! I was really excited about that one. Keep it up! I can't wait 'til mine gets here.

I don't even really wear perfume, but I am seriously intrigued...I need to go browse the site a bit.
I don't wear perfume, and I had to buy some of this stuff.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I really want to try those out as well.

Are they overwhelmingly strong? I have asthma and allergies, and that's my one hesitation.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I really want to try those out as well.

Are they overwhelmingly strong? I have asthma and allergies, and that's my one hesitation.
They're a bit strong while freshly wet on your skin, which is only about 10-15 minutes. Once dry, they're much more mellow. I put a tiny dab on both inner elbows and behind my earlobes, and it's just the right amount so you can smell it when near to me, but not overwhelmingly so.

Since they're composed of essential oils and natural ingredients, they are MUCH kinder on the nose than any standard market perfumes, which are at max 10% perfume oils and 90% chemical gross. x__x Much harder on the lungs, IMO. My roomie loves his chemical cologne sprays and they make me wheeze. Not perfume oils.

You could always order an imp or two just to try, and not be out much $$.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
The Lion
Aelopile
The Unicorn
White Rabbit
Lust
Dragons Hide

I think that I'm going to order those, when I get the money/chance to.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
The Lion
Aelopile
The Unicorn
White Rabbit
Lust
Dragons Hide

I think that I'm going to order those, when I get the money/chance to.
Nice list! White Rabbit smells good on everyone I've smelled it on. I have The Lion, it smells great in-vial. I'll let you know how it is on me. Lust smells great on Nolu (my sister has it).

The rest sound really neat, too. :) I love that so many of you are as into this as I am!

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Oh I made my first order recently as well!

I got the "sample pack" thingy lol

- O
- Amsterdam
- Snake oil
- Two, Five, Seven
- Unicorn
- Le Serpent qui Danse

:) It took me like 6 hours to choose!! lol first my list was 15 names long, then I found the forum and ended up adding more! lol what a mess.. but those are the final picks

In the end, I will order a full sized version of 2 :) One for day and one for night.

I ordered December 6th and still haven't received them :( but I will update my thoughts when I do!

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I ordered December 6th and still haven't received them :( but I will update my thoughts when I do!
Yeah, the downside of BPAL, sort of: since they handblend, orders can take 2-3 weeks to ship out. Once shipped, it got here FAST, and I'm in Canada!

I am excited for you! I'm eager to hear everyone's thoughts on their scents.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Yeah, the downside of BPAL, sort of: since they handblend, orders can take 2-3 weeks to ship out. Once shipped, it got here FAST, and I'm in Canada!

I am excited for you! I'm eager to hear everyone's thoughts on their scents.
I'm excited too! :)
and I guess its worth it then lol I thought it was just processing orders..

Also, for those who have used them before.

How exactly do you put on perfume?.. I feel like I'm doing it wrong lol

Oh and how long do they last? all day?

I can smell my perfume for like..2 hours. and then its gone. but maybe that just because I'm so used to it (lol I've worn the same perfume for like 5 years)

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I'm excited too! :)
and I guess its worth it then lol I thought it was just processing orders..

Also, for those who have used them before.

How exactly do you put on perfume?.. I feel like I'm doing it wrong lol

Oh and how long do they last? all day?

I can smell my perfume for like..2 hours. and then its gone. but maybe that just because I'm so used to it (lol I've worn the same perfume for like 5 years)
With perfume oil, it's generally good to put 3-4 drops on pulse points. Pulse points include your inner wrists, the crook of your elbows, and that little crook behind your earlobes. I usually do crook of elbow and behind earlobes.

Just a drop will do you. Don't rub your wrists together, it can make the perfume dissipate quicker.

Perfume oils vary in terms of length... White Rabbit lasts all day on me, often I can smell it still in the morning before my shower. But on me, Dragon's Milk dissipated by early evening yesterday. Oils DO usually last quite a lot longer than perfume sprays. Oils vary so greatly between people in terms of how long they last, too, that's why these sample packs are so awesome!

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
So, Dragon's Milk dissipated by about 5pm yesterday, so since I was home all night, I decided to try the one I was sort of loathing...

GRAVE-PIG (from the Marchen collection)

Description: Fig, oakmoss, mushroom caps, and patchouli.

I was a bit skeptical of this one, because my sister also got it as a random imp. She tried it as her first imp, and halfway through the day, she reeked of rotten mushrooms and dirt (her words).

Imp nose: Not bad, not bad at all. The patchouli comes off as strong.

Wet on skin: Ew ugh ew ack. Rotten mushrooms, moss, soil. I see what she meant. I did my best to ignore the stench and give it time to dry.

Dry on skin: This is where it got interesting. When dry, the figs took hold, giving the scent an oddly delicious fig+soil scent. I liked this one dry, but it stays wet for 20-30 mins sometimes, and I dunno if that's something I'd want to deal with. I think I'll enjoy this imp and be done with it. :) Grave-Pig is a perfect example of how different oils can be on different people. It gave exact opposite effects on my sister and myself.

I have another one on today, but it's only been on an hour so I'll review it later. :) I'm glad you guys are enjoying the reviews!

M

MyHorseMyRules

Hahaha, I don't think I'd want to smell like rotten mushrooms for five minutes, much less twenty. That's so interesting, though!

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Hahaha, I don't think I'd want to smell like rotten mushrooms for five minutes, much less twenty. That's so interesting, though!
It was so different from the vial, and even more different from the dry scent! So strange. The BPAL forum reviewers mostly LOVE grave-pig, and they all seem to have different reactions as well.

I gotta say, one thing I love about BPAL is how they don't just make flowery or sweet scents. They run the gamut of scents, even scents that don't seem like they smell nice, but sometimes surprise!

LilahRoot

Well, I ordered! I was in the market for a new perfume, so why not?

I ordered:
Dragon's Eye
Jezebel
Blood Countess
Loup Garou
Nosferatu
Cheshire Cat

^Those I got as imps.

Then I also ordered a 5ml bottle of White Rabbit.

I can't wait! I'm so glad you posted this. I really love the names that they have for their oils too. I had to giggle a few times. :D

Members online

No members online now.