Cropping Pittie Ears

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I too like natural ears on APBT's, just because they are so neat looking. There are two adorable pit mixes (up for adoption!!!) that we're fostering at work; one is cropped and one isn't. I wish I could have seen Pie's natural ears, but her crop isn't horrible. It kind of just goes with her whole overall look.

darkchild16

We are Home.
I like both but not the asthetic reason(although some just look better cropped with the build) but working. With Tytus we knew he was going to be a hog dog and with his ears the way they were it was just an accident waiting to happen and a painful one at that. SO he got a working crop (about a inch tall) Booger on the other hand wasn't going to be a full time hog dog. I was going to show her and use her in Sch. but never got around to either because of her disability. So she had natural ears. My next depending on what purpose I see him/her used for will decide if she/he has a working crop or natural ears.

DryCreek

I prefer that the owner be able to choose for themselves. But all the dogs in my house are natural.

ETA: I would also prefer that breeders take ears into consideration when they breed, rather than just figuring they can crop them off anyway. So many people -- especially those showing in AKC/UKC -- crop ears that sometimes its hard to know who is going to throw nice ears and not. You're looking at a pedigree full of surgically-corrected ears.

:hail: Hit the nail right on the head there Baha. If breeders do not include the ears in their assessment for future breeding prospects, they are not really bettering the breed.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
The "sissy" comment worries me. As do those awful 'devil horn' crops that seem so popular for APBTs. Add to that the fact that when you get past the scary-owner part of those devil horns, they actually make the dog look dumb . . .natural for me, please.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i prefer naturla ears on all breeds, i dont even like docking tails unless the dog is actually working and needs it done or the breed has a weak tail ect...

but im also from the uk where cropping is 100% banned and docking is banned on any dog that is not sold with the purpose of show or feild work...so...mabe that plays a part of why...
i think cropped dogs look odd if truth eb told lol.

joce

I thought I preferred natural on them

BUT. . . . . . . . . after thinking about it I am usually drawn to the pitties I see with cropped ears. So I guess I prefer cropped;)

RD

Are you dead yet?
If Mushroom had mostly-prick ears, I think he and Ella would look like twins from the neck up!

Seeing all these ears remind me why I like natural ears so much.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I liked the uncropped pit.

I have two schnauzers, both with natural ears. Kiba has pefect ears, correctly shaped. Stryder was considering having cropped, and I wish I had as they are huge. But have gotten over it and they just add to his character. With any future dog, I would prefer to buy post-crop.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Same, actually personally I think that dobes, rotti's and GSP's look better docked but I wouldn't do it because I liked the look.
Boxers I think look fantastic with their tails.

Don't like crops on any dogs but I admit I love Ronin's and Ilsa's crops, they look kinda curved and very pretty, again though somethign I wouldn't do.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
LOL! Mushroom and Luce have got to be the cutest Pits I have ever seen!

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
but I admit I love Ronin's and Ilsa's crops, they look kinda curved and very pretty,
Thank you, I obviously cannot take the credit for them though! Their crops are not something you'd get from the local vet, or even a regional vet "known" for cropping ears. Their ears were cropped by one of the premier Dobe cropping vets in the country, who is flown all over the Americas for her services. She does a very good job, and I'm assuming it would be nearly impossible for JQP to "schedule a cropping" with her. I'm guessing getting her to crop involves a lot of pre-planning.

NOW, my opinion on cropping. Although I have two cropped dogs, I'm very picky on the crop itself. I would rather have a natural eared dog than a dog with a bad crop, or a crop done by someone who doesn't know enough to minimize the pain of the surgery, or if I didn't have the time to post the ears. I would also never get a cropped puppy unless the puppy was going to be cropped by a renowned cropping vet who specializes in that particular breed.

If I was to get an APBT, I would leave the ears natural (I really like the rose ears on pits, I think they frame the head nicely! However, just because the puppy would be left natural, it doesn't mean I wouldn't do some taping if it helped the ear form correctly. If I get a natural eared Dobe puppy, I'd plan on taping the ears anyway.

However, I'll always support the rights of owners making their own responsible decisions regarding their pets.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
ears
ears
ears beautiful ears
long and silky
short and tippy
curly fuzzy
inside outty

how can you not love a dogs ears?

kisses for each and every one

nothing should be fixed that works so well

darkchild16

We are Home.
A good vet is the main thing. That includes knowing the breed, i tend to go for the vets that do laser surgery since it is less painful and takes a more skilled vet actually.

Members online

No members online now.