toilet training my puppy

I need some advice on toilet training my puppy. Having had her from 6 wks old she is weeing on the newspaper in the house - of course I was praising her for doing this. Now I want her to go outside, but no matter how long we go out for or how long I leave her in the garden - she comes back inside to use the paper. I'm just a bit worried about telling her off for going on the paper as it might confuse her because this is what I was praising her for doing? Does anyone know how it is best to go about this?

Tinaweena

Well this is why alot of people are against paper training at all. It teaches a dog something, then you flip it's rules upside down.
You can always take some of the paper that is already soiled and put it outside so he/she can smell it, and know that it's their potty area.
Or go right back to basicas, taking the dog outside every 30 mins to 1 hour and staying outside until the dog goes, it may take an hour, but you'll have to do it to establish a new routine. Then praise like crazy.
But I suggest taking some soiled paper and leaving it outside where youd like the dog to go. Do you have a glass door where the dog can see the paper sitting outside?
Sometimes it's helpful if they know their toilet is just on the otherside of the glass, they just have to get to it....that sometimes prompts them to scratch or bark at the door to get out to their toilet.
Good-luck.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Teena has good advice.

Take some of the soiled newspaper outside, spread it out, and put rocks or something down to hold it in place. (tent stakes work GREAT). Put several layers and stake it down well.

If possible, gradually move the papers, or put a section of paper near the doorway where you want the dog to go out. For the moment, encourage the dog to go there, or outside on the other papers.

Go WITH the puppy. Best time to take the pup outside is when he has just woken up in the morning. PICK the puppy up, carry him out to the papers you have put down outside, and put him down. MAKE SURE you have a tasty tidbit in your pocket. (this needs to be done the night before)

Once the puppy begins to urinate or defecate, (you MUST stay until this happens) give the action a word. I say "go pee pee" for urinate, and "go poop" for defecate. Say this the entire time the puppy is going. The INSTANT the puppy is finished, say YES!!!! and give the puppy a mouthful of tasty treats.

Do this EACH time the puppy eliminates outdoors.

Gradually make the paper at the doorway smaller and smaller, and if the dog goes to the papers at the door, take him outside immediately.

I have a piece that goes into more detail on housetraining, just skim down the training topics here til you find it.

Members online