Nail Trimming need advice

Hi all... I just had the 2 adopted yorkie boys nails trimmed Tuesday night, they were quite long (the vet did them) anyway, as of late yesterday Houdini has been favoring his front left paw and is doing the same today. He is also walking like he's 100 years old. could this be from having his nails trimmed? If so, how long should I keep an eye on him before taking him to the vet?

Ash47

Taco Dog
It could be that they almost hit the quick, or the vein inside the nail, and it is sore. It could also be that his nails being short just feel funny. I say give it a week, if he is still doing the same thing, then take him for a checkup.

joce

When they are really long they can break inside way down by the paw and hurt them kinda like a bruise. It should be ok in a couple days. My beagle had it happen slipping in a creek but I have seen it on dogs with long nails getting cut. Yorkies nails are black aren't they? You might not be able to tell then.

Thanks - yes his nails are black and they were very long, almost like they had never been cut before. I'll keep an eye on him this weekend and see if it gets better.

Khristine

Hi YorkieLover!

My Yorkie/Pomeranian has black nails too.. and he got groomed for the first time, nails, haircut, anal glands, the whole works! .. and he's actually bouncing around like usual! so just keep an eye on your babies, i hope everything is ok!

Everthing is o.k.... I guess he was back to normal by Friday night. We took them to the groomers on Saturday and she believes it he was just getting used to walking with short nails. Thanks for asking.

Members online

No members online now.