Mane and tail for dogs? and a ? on baldspots!

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
kenya rolled around in the mud after it had rained, so i grabbed some shampoo that we had laying around, i figured since its called mane and tail. it would be good for dogs. it worked WONDERS on kenyas coat, its all shiny and pretty
but regardless of the name of the shampoo, its made for people and was bought from the people grooming section. so i was wondering if it was ok to use again.

also, kenya has a blad spot on the side of her head that has NEVER gone away. we've had her for more than a month and that spot just hasnt grown hair. she also has one under her eye, and on her leg. (the leg one is from itching i think but the other 2 she never touches and they just..dont have hair) she doesnt have fleas, she went to the vet just 2 days ago and shes 100% healthy so what could i be?
it doesnt bother me or anything but im just curious

any ideas?

here are pictures..

Saintgirl

I wouldn't use the Mane and Tail on dogs. The skin pH on a horse is more acidic than a dogs and thus the shampoos are formulated differently. Typically a horse shampoo is too acidic for a dog and can cause skin irriations, especially after prolonged use.

BostonBanker

The Mane and Tail is a pretty good horse product - yes, developed for horses originally, but very popular with people.

I'm curious where the information on skin pH can be found. I'm not doubting anyone, but I heard for years that you can't use human shampoo on horses for the same reason. But honestly, I've used horse shampoo on the dog (occasionally), human shampoo on the horse (regularly), and horse shampoo on me (occasionally) without any issues. I've had a lot of people tell me the whole thing about not using human shampoo on horses is just a myth, so I'd love to see some actual information on it, rather than just word of mouth.

As for the patches of missing hair - isn't there a type of non-contagious mange that causes spots like that? I think I remember a friend's dog having it. It could also be an area that she once had an injury, and hair just never grew back there.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Middie and I share Mane and Tail conditioner - it's sold in the dog & cat sections as well as the human sections in plenty of stores. It's some of the most wonderful stuff - I can't believe what it does for his coat.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
As for the patches of missing hair - isn't there a type of non-contagious mange that causes spots like that? I think I remember a friend's dog having it. It could also be an area that she once had an injury, and hair just never grew back there.
You are thinking of Demodex Mange. That's not contagious, its passed on from parents to pups. I might get it looked at by a vet to be sure.

BostonBanker

You are thinking of Demodex Mange. That's not contagious, its passed on from parents to pups. I might get it looked at by a vet to be sure.
Thanks. I knew it started with a 'd', but didn't want to look like an idiot if I messed the word up;).

Saintgirl

I'm curious where the information on skin pH can be found. I'm not doubting anyone, but I heard for years that you can't use human shampoo on horses for the same reason. But honestly, I've used horse shampoo on the dog (occasionally), human shampoo on the horse (regularly), and horse shampoo on me (occasionally) without any issues. I've had a lot of people tell me the whole thing about not using human shampoo on horses is just a myth, so I'd love to see some actual information on it, rather than just word of mouth.
All skin has a pH balance, and dogs differ from humans, just as horses differ from many other animals. A shampoo for a dog is pH balanced near 7 to 7.5 on average, a neutral pH. Shampoo for humans is near 5 pH. We use a more acidic shampoo on our own hair than we do on dogs.

http://www.nexxus.com/expert_hair_care_advice/hair_information_chemistry.html
The above link explains human hair pH and the importance of having the proper balance.

http://www.k911.biz/Petsafety/DogShampoo.htm
This one is for dogs.

Members online

No members online now.