Do you vaccinate your cat?

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
I feed them Felidae right now. Had them on Eagle Pack but got so mad at them during the recall correspondances, that I switched. It was a haul though. They didn't like Felidae at all at first, so I had to do it over a period of time. Cats seem to get fixated on their food and I find it's not so easy to switch them. That's the dry. I tend to rotate canned foods.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
I have a similar vaccination regime as you ToscasMom. They get their "kitten shots", then minimal boosters after that. Buddy is due for a set of shots this fall, but he'll just be getting rabies. I might have a titer done. I'm definatley getting a titer done on Nya when she's due, as she's now 12 years old and I'd really like to not vaccinate her any further.

I really don't like the overvaccination trend, and besides that, we live in an apartment so they can't get outside ;)

I do Puss every year. He is indoor only, and not exposed to other cats. I wouldn't do his regular shot every year, but I worry about bringing things home from work, because I work with sick cats all the time.
Rabies every three years.
He does not get the Feline Leukemia or Feline AIDS shot however.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Still, I can understand your worries.

I also can see why you don't give him the leuk or AIDs, since that would have to come from direct contact. But if I were in your shoes I would probably do the same thing you are doing. No sense of taking the chance.

Both my cats get their shots yearly, but I'm definitely going to look into VAS. I was just at the vet this week and Allie was due for her rabies. The vet recommended the 1 yr, but I went with the 3 yr because Allie is so terrible about getting shots. Now I'm regretting that decision. Of course she never mentioned VAS to me, that would have definitely changed my mind! My cats are always indoors so I'm starting to think that their yearly vaccines are overkill. I'll have to talk to my vet about it. Lots of good info here, thanks!

Kathy29

Does anyone know how common/rare VAS is?

I was given a number of around 1 in 10,000 cats by my vet, but I want to double-check.

Boemy

You bet mine are fully vaccinated . . . since the lady in the apartment directly below me has a cat with Feline Leukemia and LETS HIM OUTSIDE. :mad: My cats are indoor only, but I do take them out on their harnesses and there's always the chance one could get out by accident, heaven forbid.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Dr. Dodd, discussed in the STOP THE SHOTS thread going on in this forum right now refers to this page from her site:
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/VAS.HTM

Vaccines such as distemper, rabies and feline leukemia have caused these tumors in what statistics are showing to be anywhere from 1 in 1,000 to 1 in 10,000 vaccine injections.

Note: not counted by cats. counted by injections!

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Boemy, from what I'm told, Feline Leukemia is very short lived outside the body. Mostly it is contracted via extended (long term contact) with an infected cat. It can be transmitted via a wound though.

I'm glad I clicked on this thread! It's great to see that I'm not the only one that thinks yearly vaccinations do more harm than good!

Members online

No members online now.