Running a course without a walk through

adojrts

For those that have had to run a standard course without a walk through, how did you do?
Yesterday I had an adventure in just getting to an agility trial. In short I missed my walk through. Of course had I a course map and got to watch some dogs run before our turn .....but it was an indoor trial and I could only view the course from one side. I had several follow exhibitors approach to give me their take on the course from either their walk throughs or runs.
Several of them, know my dog, how fast he runs etc. I was thinking of putting a FC at one point, but was advised that with my dog I wouldn't get there in time, I took the advise, they were right.
We had a good run, the only problem we encountered was when I failed by being too slow doing a RVP near the start of the course. Tight line, tire to a tunnel ( 15ft or less), tunnel was horseshoed with the entrances only 2 ft apart, had to pull him to the right entrance while the left one was directly in front of the tire. I should have done it before he did the tire, instead of waiting until he was landing from it, far to late with my dog lol. The rest of the run was great, even when I had to throw in a FC on the fly lol.

Anyone else have any insights or tips on this kind of situation?
Btw, this was not a Novice or Starters course, no simple straight lines, it also had several obs. discrimations as well.

Take care
Lynn

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I really dont know what to say, I probably wouldnt have run. I would have gotten so upset and stressed. Even just with a simple course. I am glad you had fun!! :)

ooBtw, I LOVE your avatar(sp) I always wanted to say that, just never got a chance :p

Shay*

adojrts

Hi
Thanks, glad you like the pic of Petie, it's one of my fav's as well. It was taken a couple of years ago during a Q'ing Steeplechase run.

As for getting stressed and upset by missing the walk through...........no point in that, that would only upset my dog!!! See he didn't know that I didn't have a walk through and I highly doubt he cared either lol. When I goofed and he nailed the wrong tunnel entrance, I just sent him in the correct one and carried on. He doesn't know it was an OC and again he doesn't care!!! I took it has a challenge and will use it has a learning tool, plus we had FUN!!

Take care
Lynn

T

tessa_s212

With running anywhere from 4-7 dogs on any one course as well as working my own club's trials, its not actually all that uncommon for me to miss a walk through at least once in a trial. Despite this, I've always managed very well. Many of the dogs that come to our trials come on a regular basis and I know their running styles and how they compare to my own dogs. I watch these dogs to see how they are handled, and usually if I mimic theirs, I do a really good job. Every now and then for my slower dogs I can always adjust though. Surprisingly enough, the one course I did NOT walk this weekend, was the ONLY course my little terrier qualified in! Haha.. Ironic, but I'll take it! :D

But, I do have to admit, it also helps for my larger dogs that often I'm running out to do jump changes and can get a clue as to some of the harder parts of the course, but I don't have that advantage with my small dogs if they are the first jump height.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Eeeggh, It still sounds like it would stress me out, but after all I have only run a grand total of twice. One one day, then the other on the next. Mind you I ran both with masters dogs, in a Jr. Handlers course. I thikn that even if I didnt have the walk through, the dogs would hve done fine :p... As it was, the GSD cross I ran with started without me and we still got a Q! :)

Shay*

T

tessa_s212

Eeeggh, It still sounds like it would stress me out, but after all I have only run a grand total of twice. One one day, then the other on the next. Mind you I ran both with masters dogs, in a Jr. Handlers course. I thikn that even if I didnt have the walk through, the dogs would hve done fine :p... As it was, the GSD cross I ran with started without me and we still got a Q! :)

Shay*
Lol. I'm on the other end of the spectrum. Most of my dogs still are quite novice and don't have very good training because of the club I train at and that the trainer owns many of the dogs I handle. I have counted nearly 27 runs before all in one day! This past Saturday I handled 7 different dogs in NADAC, which has courses of Tunnelers, Jumpers, Standards(two runs of that a day), Weavers, Touch n Go, and Chances. Most all of the dogs were in every course, so Boy did I get a work out! And even if you try to plan a course for all 7 dogs, never do things go exactly as planned. I've learned to think and move fast if needed out on the course to make things work! :p

Members online

No members online now.