The Flu Shot...

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I decided not to get one this year. I may regret it, but I have gotten them the last few years and decided to give my body a break. DH didn't get it either, since he only gets it if I pester him into it.

What are your thoughts on the flu shot? Have you gotten one?

Lyzelle

I don't get it. No reason to. It is much like the bordetella vaccine. It isn't going to cover all flu strains and it isn't 100% guarantee you aren't going to get it anyway. I leave the vaccine for people who are actually going to need the minimal protection it gives, like the elderly and sick.

Brattina88

I got it this year, haven't had it in several years. I work with young children and I've already seen a lot of sickness this year - I don't want it and I can't afford to get it, work STRONGLY recommended it (they can't force us like some other places I know) so I went ahead and got it yesterday actually.

Oddly enough this is the first time I've EVER had any sort of reaction. But I'd rather be safe than sorry. I don't want THE flu

momto8

I don't get it, nor do my children or husband. I think its alot like the kennel cough vaccine, it does not cover all strains. I think we over-vaccinate way too much.
Last time that we got the flu shot was in 2005 and that was also the last year that we got the flu..not at the same time lol!
My mother hounds and hounds me about it, but yet she still gets the flu and other illnesses while getting her yearly flu shot. And my kids and I are maybe sick 1 to 2 times a year and its never really that bad.

tzigane

I've never gotten it before. I'd rather just eat lots of veggies and plant-based foods to increase my immune system and fight it off naturally if I get exposed. Touch wood, I haven't gotten it yet (now of course, I'm going to get it tomorrow).

Grab

I've never had one and don't plan to get one. I think we shove too many vaccines at people anyway, and am certainly not going to tax myself with anything else. Certainly not for one that doesn't cover all strains.

My husband does get one yearly, because they offer them at his workplace and he's a follower, lol. He hasn't had the flu any less than I have. (zero for both)

joce

Do not get it. figure work will start requiring it one of these years and I will have to then. I have never actually had the flu. I get sick when the weather changes and thats about it.

Airn

I avoid any kind of medication, so I don't get it. I rarely take any medication for headaches, migraines, cramps, whatever. I have a bit of a phobia of it. And shots. I don't like shots. So, it's an all around no-go.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I don't get it ... Never get it, I have more probs with the cursed Mtn cedar then the flu ... Which is what I think causes my chills & fever the other day, they say its up to 20,000 :eek: I hate Mtn cedar I HATE it.

GipsyQueen

Nope. I don't have any reason to get a flu shot, seeing as I haven't had the flu in about 8 years now? I rarely get sick besides one cold a year. Meh and if I get the flu, I'll get the flu being sick stinks, but it's not the end of the world either.
I basically only get shots for tetanus & Hepatitis.

crazedACD

Absolutely not. I don't believe it is safe. I've never had it and haven't had the flu since I was a kid. I get colds sometimes but not the flu.

BostonBanker

I've never gotten in, because I have a crazy good immune system. The last time I was sick beyond a random sniffle or two was 2003. If I were immune compromised or in a high-risk job, I'd certainly be more inclined.

milos_mommy

I got this year, for the first time in my life, because I'm pregnant.

I made sure I got the fluzone shot with no mercury in it.

I highly doubt I'd get it again (unless I was pregnant again). I mostly got it because I was flying, and didn't want to get sick from traveling and such. I'm not sure if I wasn't about to fly, if I'd have gotten it.

I didn't have any side effects, I felt really achy about two days after but I don't think it was a vaccine reaction. I haven't gotten any other vaccines since I was probably 12 or 14 years old, I tend to react badly to medications and since I have a good immune system, it doesn't seem worth it to me. I was titered and still have immunity to most of the things I got vaccinated as a child for, including chicken pox. I'm not one of those people who believe vaccines cause all kinds of problems and autism and whatnot, but for me, they don't seem worth it.

Tortilla

Blonde Raccoon
Absolutely not. I don't believe it is safe. I've never had it and haven't had the flu since I was a kid. I get colds sometimes but not the flu.
Pretty much this. I've never had the shot and I can't even remember the last time I was sick. I always opt out of non-essential vaccines and medication.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I think they're a load of hooey and have never, nor will ever, get one. I actually quit a job one time because they were requiring everyone to get the flu shot and they weren't paying me enough to compromise MY immune system. Nor were they going to give sick leave when you did come down with the flu. I've only ever had "the flu" once in the last 20 years; I'll get some type of mild "plague" (sniffles, cough, lack of energy) occasionally, but that's it. I'd rather keep my immune system pumped up with good foods and vitamins instead of poisoning myself.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Never have. Probably never will. I don't usually willingly subject myself to any sort of medical treatment lol especially not ones involving needles.

I work at a pharmacy with two pharmacists you couldn't pay to take the flu shot. I listen to them.

Members online

No members online now.