First Disc Dog Club Practice

Ok, I made this it's own thread mainly because I'm still totally tickled by it.

Last night Nina (Rue's owner) and I went to our first Disc Dog group practice/get together thing. And it was SO MUCH FUN. I just brought Didgie since I didn't know how it would be set up but next time I'm going to bring both.

Everyone there was so incredibly nice and helpful and cool and I loved them all. You know that awkward feeling when you want to go up to someone and be like "Hi. Be my friend."? That's how I felt all night.

They helped with my throwing, showed me some different throws that I can work on and just overall were super welcoming and funny and nice. I instantly felt relaxed. They also had some freaking amazing dogs. Just awesome.

And I was so proud of Didgie! Like, seriously she blows my mind. I haven't gone to any dog clubs/training places with her at all. She's been to the dog park and petstores a couple times. That's it really. So I didn't know how she would react to this crazy place with so many dogs, smells (it was inside in a training/boarding facility thing) and people.

She was so ON. I mean, we get in and she's looking at things and I say "Didgeridoo!" And she immediately snaps onto me, completely ready to work and do things but not overstimulated at all. Just ready.

So I crated her while we talked to the club and then when it was our turn I went and got her and she was just....with me. I walked her into the main place where everyone is and take her off leash and she stayed right with me no issue and was like "You have discs, I want them in my mouth" and was a tugging fool with no build up. I have a dog that tugs during high distraction and crazy environments with no work from me. This makes me so happy.

Then one of the guys came and played with her and showed me some things and she was just focused on us and the discs. And barking.

And then later I heard a couple of them talking about her and they sure seemed impressed! Which, if you had seen their dogs you would get why that made me feel over the moon.

It was just so much fun and I loved it. They meet two times a month and are such a chill group. They aren't huge, rather small actually, and they are newish, started a few years ago but super competitive and talented people in it.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
This is how I feel about dockdogs. :) So glad you had an amazing time!

SaraB

I'm so, so glad things worked out. I'm also insanely jealous you get to train with them, they are some of my favorite people I've met since getting into the sport. Just remember, you better be ready to compete in June so that we can go to the Skyhoundz qualifier in Indiana!

Catsi

It is so nice when you find a group of people that you just click with and have so much fun. It's so exciting to look forward to something so much.

You must be so proud of Didge - how wonderful re the tugging and her attitude to being with you in a group training setting for the first time. Not only is she an awesome dog, but your work with her has prepared her for this - you should be stoked! :D

Locke

That's so awesome to hear!

I hope I can find something similar when I get my new dog this summer!

That's awesome :)

How does one go about finding a disc club?
You ask Sara and she sends you their FB page :rofl1:

It is so nice when you find a group of people that you just click with and have so much fun. It's so exciting to look forward to something so much.

You must be so proud of Didge - how wonderful re the tugging and her attitude to being with you in a group training setting for the first time. Not only is she an awesome dog, but your work with her has prepared her for this - you should be stoked! :D
She's just such a fun dog. I love how she keeps her head in crazy situations, much more focused on me. Until a dogs start fetching around her, then she's completely gone.

I'm so, so glad things worked out. I'm also insanely jealous you get to train with them, they are some of my favorite people I've met since getting into the sport. Just remember, you better be ready to compete in June so that we can go to the Skyhoundz qualifier in Indiana!
Thanks again so much for talking to them at the trial for me! And we're gonna try!!

That's awesome!!

Next time you need to have someone take video!
I hope to get some pictures and video of everyone if they're ok with it! It's nice since everyone takes their dog out one at a time. Though, that was slightly nerveracking since you feel like you're on display. But they're all so chill about it I got over it fast. And my dog was screaming at me which helped

Members online