Dog Run?

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
Ok so since the weather has been so bad we havent been able to take Pixie for real walks. So she has had her share of accidents lately in the house mainly in the basement. So we are considering buying a run to run from the back porch to the garage. We figure we will only use it in the winter and only put her out there for how ever long she needs to do her business. We were going to fence in the backyard but we won't be able to do it until summer.

Pixie is rarely home for a full day as I take her to work with me and everywhere else that alows dogs. But when im not home I know my mom will not walk her in this weather. She may take her out in the backyard for 5-10 minutes but thats not enough time. So the run would be good for her to use so she could just put Pixie out on it and Pixie could enjoy some outside time and get her business done.

Opinions on dog runs?

Brattina88

I have a run in my backyard. It is used for me to put the dogs outside for them to eliminate, and it serves its purpose fine. It's a pain to clean out though, and the dogs don't run, play, or stay out any longer than it takes to eliminate because the whole thing is like a huge toliet I guess. I still walk them regardless of the weather though, for excersize, and that is a pain too.

PixieSticksandTricks

Brattina88 said:
I have a run in my backyard. It is used for me to put the dogs outside for them to eliminate, and it serves its purpose fine. It's a pain to clean out though, and the dogs don't run, play, or stay out any longer than it takes to eliminate because the whole thing is like a huge toliet I guess. I still walk them regardless of the weather though, for excersize, and that is a pain too.
Yeah I walk her too but the weather has been so bad the roads are iced over somedays and its a constant scene of me slipping and falling. Definatly not fun ;) .

Brattina88

I know what you mean!
It wasn't even a bad snow last night, but when we walked this morning it took me about 2 minutes before I relized that the sidewalks were solid sheets of ice and my 3 dogs were pulling me and I had no control over my feet! :eek:
I fell twice before I could call them back and get them to turn around and head back toward and up the driveway. We probably walked 10ft and I was exhusted - I told Maddie she'd just have to wait, because I'm too old for this! :D

R

RedyreRottweilers

It's good to have a safe place for the dog to go out. Just remember to keep it clean!

lucille

I have a porch and I am planning on putting an iron fence around it so on nice days the dogs can live out there while I'm at work, it is 10 x 20. I think they are really going to enjoy the opportunity to be out and watching all the butterflies in the garden and so on.

Pixie, are you talking about an enclosed run or a line with a lead attached? I'd opt for the closed in run and fill the bottom with cypress mulch or peagravel so it's easy to clean and doesn't end up being a mud pit. And just use it for a potty area, not to keep Pixie in long lengths of time. Pixie should become accustomed to it being the "potty room" and do her business when she goes in it. Maybe you could even cover it with a tarp for when it's raining. I think that's a good idea...

Oh, and I'm a BIG FAN of the pooper scoopers. I have a bucket that I put a walmart plastic bag in, then scoop the poops, but it in the bucket, wrap it up in the plastic bag, and toss in the outside trash! Everthing's clean and everybody's happy!

PixieSticksandTricks

EliNHunter said:
Pixie, are you talking about an enclosed run or a line with a lead attached? I'd opt for the closed in run and fill the bottom with cypress mulch or peagravel so it's easy to clean and doesn't end up being a mud pit. And just use it for a potty area, not to keep Pixie in long lengths of time. Pixie should become accustomed to it being the "potty room" and do her business when she goes in it. Maybe you could even cover it with a tarp for when it's raining. I think that's a good idea...

Oh, and I'm a BIG FAN of the pooper scoopers. I have a bucket that I put a walmart plastic bag in, then scoop the poops, but it in the bucket, wrap it up in the plastic bag, and toss in the outside trash! Everthing's clean and everybody's happy!
A line with a lead. We would do the enclosed but my mom says we can't afford it though I would feel better with it. Oh and we love the pooper scoopers around here too lol!

Well, I guess you could always put down the cypress mulch along the "run" so it doesn't become a mud pit. But what about being safe from the elements when it's raining?

PixieSticksandTricks

EliNHunter said:
Well, I guess you could always put down the cypress mulch along the "run" so it doesn't become a mud pit. But what about being safe from the elements when it's raining?
We won't put her out on it when its raining. If its raining I will take her out on the leash. But she rarely will go out in the rain as she is terrifide of it so it is rare. she wouldn't be out there long it would just be to go to the bathroom and then come back in. It would also be rare sense she is rarely home since she is almost always with me. They only time we would really use it would be when im not home because my mom can't walk her up and down the road.

Members online

No members online now.