Fruits and Veggies a Dog Can't Eat

vmills

SimAlvin
The vet suspects a food allergy for my 6-month old pup who scratches frequently, but shows no signs of skin damage and has been treated for skin mites and ear mites. The pup's on Hill's Z/D Ultra, fruits and veggies only for 6 weeks (vet's orders).

I know he can't eat grapes, raisins, avocados, highly-seasoned veggies, and cherries with pits.

Question is - what else in the fruits and veggie categories should be avoided? The vet did not mention anything else besides what's listed above in the second paragraph.

T

tessa_s212

Great amounts of onions can also be toxic to dogs.
Gum with Xylital(sp?)(not a veggie, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.)

And... these are the ingredients to Z/D
Ingredients

Starch, Hydrolyzed Chicken Liver, Soybean Oil (preserved with BHA, propyl gallate and citric acid), Hydrolyzed Chicken, Powdered Cellulose, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Glyceryl Monostearate, Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), DL-Methionine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols & Citric Acid, Taurine, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

I've never ever been a fan of Science Diet. Basically, you are paying a very high price for a mediocre food, if you could even call it that. I know we all expect Vets to know best, but when it comes to food, most vets just don't know. They make a profit by promoting and selling these foods. I work in a veterinary clinic and there are a lot of owners that fork over the money for these expensive prescription diets with NEVER seeing improvement with their pets. I had a personal friend who was one of these.. I encouraged her to switch to a more superior, holistic food, and the dog is allergy free.

vmills

SimAlvin
Allergy food recommendation

I work in a veterinary clinic and there are a lot of owners that fork over the money for these expensive prescription diets with NEVER seeing improvement with their pets. I had a personal friend who was one of these.. I encouraged her to switch to a more superior, holistic food, and the dog is allergy free.
What brand do you recommend?

go to dog food analyis website. a good high quality food will help with dry skin, itchs, ;large poops, eyes runs and stains, dog smell, farts ect

Bailey08

I would *not* recommend going out and finding something new if your dog has allergies.

I would either go with the Z/D or a traditional allergy elimination diet under vet supervision.

I actually think you should stick with the Z/D for a while, unless you are willing to do a lot of research about allergies and feeding raw or homecooked and have someone who can help you with that. Ask your vet about it or maybe look for a qualified dog nutritionist or holistic vet in your area.

Also, as to your first question, large quantities of spinach are also not great for dogs (though not dangerous per se like chocolate). Other greens, though, are good.

bubbatd

I've been so lucky with my dogs food and allergy wise . I was on Purina for so many years ..Puppy Chow , Regular Chow and Senior Chow until I learned there was better . Back then I added veggies ( from the kids plates ) and Omega Oils . I'm now on the " better " Canidae weight control .. and though there's no change in Ollie .... ( except I do think he's lost a few #s ) Knocking on wood .... he's never had a hot spot !

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
If you want to go for a good brand of food with low ingredient count you should try California Naturals. The advantage of a low number of ingredients is that if your dog is allergic to something in the food, there is a very short list of what could be causing the allergic reaction. One of the most common food allergies in dogs is Chicken so try a California Naturals bag that uses an 'exotic' meat like the lamb and rice formula to start.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I am a big fan of Cali Naturals myself. The herring/salmon & sweet potato variety might be a good one to try if your dog is having allergy issues, as it doesn't include a lot of the things dogs are traditionally allergic to.
Has the vet suggested an elimination diet to try and find out what the dog is allergic to?

Raw potatos are a no-no. You might try feeding some green beans - though I bought a bunch from the farmer's market and while snapping the ends off I handed one over to Auggie, and he spit it out =P But a lot of dogs enjoy green beans. You can buy a ton frozen for cheap and just thaw out some for each meal.

Bailey08

Oh, that reminds me -- raw fruits and veggies don't do anything for dogs (I believe it's because their digestive systems can't break down the cellulose). So, either cook or mash them up, like in a food blender. I actually did both when B ate veggies in his homemade food mix.

I have no problem with my dog he ate anything from fish to veggies to meat, but one time I gave him a lot of pork meat and as a results he got some red marks on his body, and keep scratching it all over again.

I think pork is not good to feed on dogs!

Take a look at this article contains information about dog allergies and it's cure dog allergy explained, tips, breakthrough treatment

Members online

No members online now.