Can worms be black?

Pomp

So, I took my dogs to visit my parents this weekend. Today, my father calls me up and says that one of the dog has worms. When I ask why he thinks that, he tells me he found a "couple black coiled things about the size of a dime" on the ground. He picked them up and they broke apart in his hand. That was it, but he concluded it was worms.

I've never heard of worms (ring, hook, round, heart, etc) that are black and break on contact. The pups have their annual physical on Wednesday, so I'll be getting it checked out then...but wanted to know if anyone has ever seen a black worm.

bubbatd

Can't say I have !!! I know the type , but I don't think they are from animals !

ACooper

I don't really know of any intestinal parasite that is black, but flea larvae are like little black worms.

Have you checked the dogs for fleas?

Are you sure they are coming from your dog? I don't recall any worms a dog having being black. Next time your dog has a bowel movement, look at it- the worms will be in the feces if the dog has them. I really don't think they are coming from the dog though. Most dog worms are white or a cream color and very small.

ledoc

The worm you described is unlikely to be from your dog. Tapeworms are generally flat, not cylindrical, while roundworms are cylindrical but generally white to colourless. The various roundworm species can vary in length tremendously and the longer ones tend to present as a tangled jumble of worms, not coiled up.

Hope that helps

Ledoc

Pomp

Thanks for all the feedback. I think my father is just crazy. I actually had a vet appt today and while I brought in poop samples (which look fine), she had never heard of black worms either.

Members online