Shows That Make You Geek Out

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
There are a lot of cheesy shows I like, but Doctor Who- could not handle the cheese. And the acting. . .maybe better left unsaid. :D
I think for me it depends on the show. Like Psych is really cheesy... but it's supposed to be. It's a comedy.
Pretty sure Doctor Who isn't intended to be that way though. =P

Xandra

I guess GoT is the only one I'm geeking out over now, but I was pretty seriously into Rome, even though I started when it was cancelled.

GoT though. I mean I really like it but I find it a bit cheesy and unnecesarily dramatized at times and I resent that. Really I geek out over the books and the show is just kind of an awesome extra. TWOW would be nice though!!!

I'm trying to find a simple medieval fantasy series. I'm giving Merlin a try. This urge was actually inspired by seeing a bit of Once Upon A Time on TV. Not sure that's the right one for me though. Cheesy is OK in this case. If there was a TV series of A Knight's Tale I would be alllll over it.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
The Red Viper and Ellaria were perfectly cast. I feel like he's going to portray Oberyn very well, and that makes me so happy because I love the Martells + the Dornish. Episode 4 of Season 3 was epic, but I feel like Season 4 is going to be one of the most exciting seasons of the series.
I'm almost to season 3 of rewatching! Episode 8 of season 2 and it's just as good as I remembered. I've only watched season 3 once.

Benedict Cumberbatch is just a really strange looking person. Just weird looking.

As far as what I'm excited about in GOT.

SPOILERS

Lady Stoneheart reveal. And you know.... all the deaths.

I'm trying to find a simple medieval fantasy series. I'm giving Merlin a try. This urge was actually inspired by seeing a bit of Once Upon A Time on TV. Not sure that's the right one for me though. Cheesy is OK in this case. If there was a TV series of A Knight's Tale I would be alllll over it.
I love Merlin! It's super, super cheesy and the first two seasons especially have some pretty terrible special effects, but if you can get past that it's a fun show to watch.

ETA: I agree that Benedict Cumberbatch is a strange looking individual. I don't really get the appeal.

Kootenay

I actually stopped partway through the first episode of GoT the first time I watched it, which kind of blows my mind now. It seemed bad. I had even read the books! I think maybe it was because we were watching a really low-res version and you miss a lot of the goodness that way. Anyway, tried it again a while later and OMG awesome.

Mostly though I fall hard for books over shows. And generally am very not happy when my favorite books turn into shows/movies, especially if they gain a huge show/movie-only following. I'm not sure why it bothers me so, but it does.
I totally get this. I do appreciate a good adaptation of books that I love, but there is always a part of me that doesn't like "sharing" when it gets really popular!

I know I've brought it up a few times before, but my favourite EVER book series Outlander is being made into a TV show coming this summer. It is as perfect as it could possibly be - amazing cast, huge budget, everyone working on it is completely committed to staying true to the books, the author is heavily involved, we get 16 hour long episodes just for the first book, etc. I am unbelievably excited to see it brought to life. But also it's going to be weird to have it get super popular, which I'm quite certain is going to happen. But, it'll also be nice to have more people to geek out with! It will be hands down my biggest obsession, by far. Sorry Game of Thrones.

I actually stopped partway through the first episode of GoT the first time I watched it, which kind of blows my mind now. It seemed bad. I had even read the books! I think maybe it was because we were watching a really low-res version and you miss a lot of the goodness that way. Anyway, tried it again a while later and OMG awesome.

I totally get this. I do appreciate a good adaptation of books that I love, but there is always a part of me that doesn't like "sharing" when it gets really popular!

I know I've brought it up a few times before, but my favourite EVER book series Outlander is being made into a TV show coming this summer. It is as perfect as it could possibly be - amazing cast, huge budget, everyone working on it is completely committed to staying true to the books, the author is heavily involved, we get 16 hour long episodes just for the first book, etc. I am unbelievably excited to see it brought to life. But also it's going to be weird to have it get super popular, which I'm quite certain is going to happen. But, it'll also be nice to have more people to geek out with! It will be hands down my biggest obsession, by far. Sorry Game of Thrones.
There are so many books I've read that I would be squealing so loud if they were made into a movie or TV show. Especially (no guilt) all of my favorite YA novels I love. Seriously, if anyone took any of Tamora Pierce's books and made them into a movie/TV show I would NOT be able to contain my happy.

There is always the fear of it being done badly but, oh well. I would be fangirling up a storm.

Kootenay

There are so many books I've read that I would be squealing so loud if they were made into a movie or TV show. Especially (no guilt) all of my favorite YA novels I love. Seriously, if anyone took any of Tamora Pierce's books and made them into a movie/TV show I would NOT be able to contain my happy.

There is always the fear of it being done badly but, oh well. I would be fangirling up a storm.
OH MAN I LOVED THOSE BOOKS! Seriously, was definitely obsessed with them for a long time in my younger years.

I have seen a few adaptations that weren't exactly satisfactory, but thankfully most of my favourites I've been fairly satisfied with.

I've been waiting for Outlander to get picked up for a while (the first book came out more than 20 years ago). But I am actually glad it didn't happen til now, Game of Thrones kind of paved the way and it's SO much better it's being done as a TV show rather than movies. Way too much cutting would have to happen for a movie.

OH MAN I LOVED THOSE BOOKS! Seriously, was definitely obsessed with them for a long time in my younger years.
YES!! Seriously, I was not a reader at all, hated it and then I read Harry Potter and loved them but still wasn't down with the whole reading thing. Got The Lioness series and devoured them and moved on from there. Love them and whenever I get bored or nostalgic I have to go re-read my favorites.

I mean, two of my main loves in books are girls pretending to be boys and well done talking to animal ones. So yeah, two series practically made for me.

Kootenay

YES!! Seriously, I was not a reader at all, hated it and then I read Harry Potter and loved them but still wasn't down with the whole reading thing. Got The Lioness series and devoured them and moved on from there. Love them and whenever I get bored or nostalgic I have to go re-read my favorites.

I mean, two of my main loves in books are girls pretending to be boys and well done talking to animal ones. So yeah, two series practically made for me.
I need to reread them! I haven't read them since I was probably 12 or 13. And my dad just found them all in his shop and gave them to me, clearly it is time for a reread.

Xandra

I love Merlin! It's super, super cheesy and the first two seasons especially have some pretty terrible special effects, but if you can get past that it's a fun show to watch.

ETA: I agree that Benedict Cumberbatch is a strange looking individual. I don't really get the appeal.
Yeah so far the dude has moved a bed by squinting at it. It was pretty bad. :rofl1:

Also, the windows were solid wood on the inside and glowing from the outside.

But that's alright lol As long as there are adventures and horses.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Oh yeah, I'm not a fan of cheesy in TV shows. Like, cheesy Disney? Sure! Some mushy corny rom com? Sign me up and let the crying commence!

But cheesy TV shows? Ehhhhhh no. That's like, 65% of the reason why I couldn't watch Supernatural. Too corny. Same goes for Once Upon a Time, except times like, a bazillion. Because holy corn on top of cheese on top of predictability on top of bad writing.

I've been trying to get into Breaking Bad but just never really had the motivation, plus the first episode was sort of boring. I'm really HOPING it lives up to the internet hype because I want so bad to have another TV show that excites me, but I don't really have super high hopes either. That is the one thing about hyped up TV shows... and that's why when I introduce someone to a show I love (like Game of Thrones), I specify that no, this isn't going to change your life, but it is a **** good show.
Yeah I have a few rom com movies that I have seen many many times, so much so that I can recite every bit of dialogue and I still get those fluttery airy "awwww" feelings like it's the first time I am watching it xD I am such a dork lol

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Oh yeah, I'm not a fan of cheesy in TV shows. Like, cheesy Disney? Sure! Some mushy corny rom com? Sign me up and let the crying commence!

But cheesy TV shows? Ehhhhhh no. That's like, 65% of the reason why I couldn't watch Supernatural. Too corny. Same goes for Once Upon a Time, except times like, a bazillion. Because holy corn on top of cheese on top of predictability on top of bad writing.
This is where many a Who fan would step in and tell you how it's a -special- kind of cheesy and and and... but really, it isn't. It's cheesy sci-fi that gets a slightly bigger budget and slightly better plots as each season plays on. But still cheesy. Ever since 1963. :p

BostonBanker

I tried to get into GoT, because everyone at work was talking about it and I just...couldn't. I don't know what it is, because I will do fantasy type stuff, but that and the whole Lord of the Rings thing. There's something about them that makes me roll my eyes.

I keep getting told I need to give Doctor Who a try, but I watched about 3 minutes and it was so cheesy I wanted marinara to dip it in. I will do cheese, but not that much.

Xandra

I tried to get into GoT, because everyone at work was talking about it and I just...couldn't. I don't know what it is, because I will do fantasy type stuff, but that and the whole Lord of the Rings thing. There's something about them that makes me roll my eyes.
Did you try the books or the show?

And do you like any medieval fantasy?

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I'm not sure how I manage to like GoT. It's completely the kind of thing I would normally hate? All the hype about it made me try watching a couple episodes.. and I thought they were "okay" but it was kind of confusing to me (yes, I did start at the beginning lol) and I couldn't get into it. On a whim I decided to give the book a try, and I was really liking that, and THEN I was able to get into the show.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
I get into things and marathon them, but if I fall out of it for a bit I have a hard time getting back in. I LOVED Breaking Bad, but stopped watching for a bit halfway through the final season and... never watched it. I still haven't watched the **** finale!

Walking Dead, too. Got really into it, watched all 3 seasons, then didn't want the new one at all yet. That one is kind of because my boyfriend and I watched it together and we've been busy so not seeing each other a lot. Same with Breaking Bad, I guess.

GoT for sure, Supernatural, I was SUPER geeky about LOST when it was happening. Firefly I love although I'm not obsessed... I think some fans take it too far, for a cancelled show that ran for one season. It's amazing and I love it, but it's over. There are other good shows out, too!

Before Jeromy I honestly didn't really watch TV shows. I watched LOST, and that was about it. My best friend suggested I watch Breaking Bad so I got into that, but everything else has been introduced to me by my boyfriend. Well, I guess Firefly was other friends, but yeah.

JacksonsMom

I've been trying to get into Breaking Bad but just never really had the motivation, plus the first episode was sort of boring. I'm really HOPING it lives up to the internet hype because I want so bad to have another TV show that excites me, but I don't really have super high hopes either. That is the one thing about hyped up TV shows... and that's why when I introduce someone to a show I love (like Game of Thrones), I specify that no, this isn't going to change your life, but it is a **** good show.

OMG you people and your Breaking Bad-less ness. lol. How did we get through 9 pages with no one mentioning this show as their geek out show. I swear, in real life, I've literally gotten at LEAST 30 people completely addicted. I am NOT one to get hooked on a TV show easily and tend to drift off or forget to watch episodes, etc, but BB was the first show I ever just became completely enthralled with. I watched 4 seasons in like a week. Okay maybe it was two. I don't know. But from the first episode, I was completely hooked. I definitely wouldn't describe it as boring. Within the first 2 mins, you've got a guy in his underwear driving an RV, in a gas mask, with another dude, two dead people in the back, pants flying, flying through the desert... LOL...

Though it does just get better and better IMO. I knew of a few who said it took the first season for them to REALLY get into it (only 7 eps). I DARE you to just finish the first season and then let me know. If you still don't like, then... well, no hope LOL.

It blows my mind to talk to someone who doesn't like it, just because it's so foreign to me, since everyone who was all "ehhh, I don't really watch tv shows blah blah blah" all ended up becoming addicted lol. BUT, I don't get into much scifi, and I definitely didn't get into Dr. Who or Supernatural, I attempted The Blacklist and got bored, or a lot of the other shows mentioned in this thread, sooo... LOL... just different tastes, I know.

But literally BB is so deserving of all the awards it's received. Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul are fantastic actors and do such an amazing job. But it's really everything. The writing, the cinematography, the acting, all the little foreshadowing done, and the tiny little details, and the comedic element to it. I mean it's certainly a DARK show. But it's just so authentic.

Can you see I'm GEEKING out?!? I could talk about BB and frequently get into convos with strangers when I go out in public in my Better Call Saul shirt. I've had so many people come up to me haha.

I guess my other geek out show is Nip/Tuck but I've only gotten a select few of my friends hooked on that, so not as many to talk to about it, and it did get pretty dumb-ish in the last 2 seasons, but either way, I really love delving into the characters and exploring them, and I don't even know how to explain it... I haven't found any other show like it.

I do really want to start Game of Thrones.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I love Breaking Bad. Currently watching the 4th season. I still can't get over the high school scenes since it was filmed at the high school I attended and graduated from. Soooo weird to me lol. But. I LOVE this show. Part of the reason I love the show is the familiar atmosphere since it was filmed in New Mexico, but I love how the story and the characters develop. I keep finding myself so lost in the story that I feel the emotions when the characters are emotional almost as if I am experiencing it right along with them. I wasn't sure my husband would like this show but even he seems to be getting into it.

Other geek out shows for me. I will be honest and say I do love Vampire Diaries. I'm on the fence about The Originals since I wasn't happy they split TVD into two separate shows now but I still watch it.

I love Game of Thrones and I love Hannibal. Those are my main ones right now though I watch a ton of shows.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I get into things and marathon them, but if I fall out of it for a bit I have a hard time getting back in. I LOVED Breaking Bad, but stopped watching for a bit halfway through the final season and... never watched it. I still haven't watched the **** finale!

Walking Dead, too. Got really into it, watched all 3 seasons, then didn't want the new one at all yet. That one is kind of because my boyfriend and I watched it together and we've been busy so not seeing each other a lot. Same with Breaking Bad, I guess.

GoT for sure, Supernatural, I was SUPER geeky about LOST when it was happening. Firefly I love although I'm not obsessed... I think some fans take it too far, for a cancelled show that ran for one season. It's amazing and I love it, but it's over. There are other good shows out, too!

Before Jeromy I honestly didn't really watch TV shows. I watched LOST, and that was about it. My best friend suggested I watch Breaking Bad so I got into that, but everything else has been introduced to me by my boyfriend. Well, I guess Firefly was other friends, but yeah.
Oh I will totally geek out over TWD, in fact I am writing some fan fiction about it as we speak lmbo.:lol-sign:

Members online