What's your leash length and style?

DJEtzel

What leash lengths do you like, for which activities?

I love shorter, 4-5' biothane leads for every day walks, hikes, pet store trips, etc.

For agility I like colorful leads in different textures... fleece, paracord, or rope type and I like them a lot longer-6 feet or so, so that I have the extra space for the slip and some length for tugging as well. I like convertible styles for these, while the standards are just clips.

Sekah

The Monster.
I have limited slip/martingale leads (big, thick, soft, furry) for each of my dogs for use on short walks or agility trials. They're probably about 5 feet long. My favourite leash is an old, soft, thin, cheap, broken brown leather one that is only held together with a knot which I'll use the odd time I walk Cohen on leash for longer treks on a collar. It's probably about 5'. Mega has a lightweight blue nylon one that I kind of hate, but it's small enough that it doesn't bother her too much. 6'.

Then I have a flexi that I'll use on a harness with Cohen from time to time.

I always ogle the 10' soft thin leather leashes I see some people using, but since my one dog is so rarely on leash and my other dog is so tiny, I've not found a good excuse to buy one.

Michiyo-Fir

I usually use a 8 ft lead so Nia has a bit of space to wander and smell stuff. I've only ever bought 2 leads for Nia and they're both nylon ones from the petstore and have worked just fine.

I do prefer a nice leather lead, but I haven't found one with good enough leather, especially one with a small clasp. Most of the online leather lead makers make them with a much larger, heavier clasp, even the smallest one they offer so I haven't bought one.

BostonBanker

Fleece braided leashes with a strand of nylon for strength. I have clip ones I use at home for both dogs, and both have martingale ones for agility. They are very easy on my hands, nice for Gusto to tug on/carry around, and even Meg will tug lightly on them.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
4' x 1/2" for sure. With a spare o-ring on the handle. Liking biothane a lot, but would like a nice leather one as well.

Romy

Taxiderpy
My leashes are crappy nylon webbing at the moment. I do like the soft braided rope type (horse leads basically, lol).

What I *really* want are 6' round braided kangaroo leather snap leads. But holy pricetag Batman! Eventually I should just get some lace and have a go at braiding one myself.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
My Goldilocks leash is 5' long, 5/8" wide (not too long not to short//not too wide not too thin), made of leather or biothane with hardware that is as lightweight as possible while still being fit for purpose + safety margin.

For agility I weave or braid my own tugging fleece/paracord blend martingales.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
5/8" width max. 6ft for hiking, and 4ft for everything else. (My obedience leads are even thinner and even shorter.)

For hiking... can't beat biothane. Everything else I prefer to be leather.

CaliTerp07

Hrm...I don't think I'm picky. I like light weight. My every day leash is an inch wide, but it's probably too big for my little dog. 1/2" or 5/8" would be better. I believe the current leash is 6 feet. I like that. It's nylon webbing with a lined handle. I <3 it. I found it on clearance at TJ Maxx one day and it's served many good years with me.

For agility, 5-6 feet is good. I like a martingale/leash combo (one thing to toss aside and slip over her head). She's not a tugger (it's illegal in nadac anyway!), so that part is not important. Something with a sturdy handle, as she yanks the heck out of my arm waiting for her turn.

I do not like leather or paracord or anything fancy.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Whichever leash is closest to the door, lol. And I have a 50 ft para cord 'long line', man I love that thing.

JacksonsMom

I typically use our tan leather 5' leash for most public walking activities/events. Gives us enough length, but also able to be closer to me as well, with not too much length.

Use the 6ft biothane lead for walks with friends, hiking, etc. I just purchased a Zumi lead recently and we use that at agility class, since it can also be a slip lead.

We have a 16ft and 25ft retractable as well. The 16ft one is the leash I'll use at certain parks/trails that are not very crowded. The 25ft leash is used in more open spaces, but not 'open' enough for a long line. Also for quick potty breaks.

And then of course our long 50' line. Used almost daily since we live on 3 acres unfenced.

They each have their own purpose, not sure I can pick a favorite! I do really really wanna get a Euro-type lead, so that it can be as short as 4ft and as long as 8ft. It would definitely come in handy.

Equinox

I've only ever had the simple 6' leather leash, and we use it for everything. It's held up perfectly, so no complaints here. If we had money for a fancier one, that would be neat, but I'd rather save up money for collars :p

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I have a 1/2" 6' leather leash that I've used for all of my past dogs. (I actually think the leash is about 7 years old.) That is Cynder's leash, because she is a good girl and doesn't get her leads dirty.

Abrams has a 1/2" 6' biothane leash and I LOVE it. I think all of my other leads are going to be biothane from now on.

I'm kind of wishing I had purchased a shorter (maybe 5' or so) biothane leash for training, but meh. I just carry slack, it's not that big of a deal.

And we have Flexi's for where a flexi may be warranted. And I have a 25' tether for outside time, of which I am highly considering getting a new (longer) one, and if so, could I just use a biothane long line....hmmmm....

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
Soft "rounded" rope (I guess that's what it's call? The kind that doesn't give you rope burn), 6ft slip/clip or worn 6ft x 5/8" nylon for the beach, hiking or anything else grimy. I use the same nylon one for most walks, too.

6ft x 3/4" Paco leather for events, shopping, anywhere "nice". Paired with either of her Paco collars or her Hamish McBeth one so it looks put together, of course. :p

Super thin 6ft long rolled rope for heel work or any other training. If I can't find a nice thin leather leash I'll be using this leash for Rally.

6ft fleece R2T for when it's cold and I want to warm up my hands. :p

I like the length to be 5.5-6ft, since she's so short and I'm fairly tall. 5/8'' is my fav width.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I like leather or rope, never nylon.

For width, in leather I like a 5/8" I'm finding. I'm kind of toying with the idea of trying a 1/2" but they just seem so thin and I really do like my 5/8"s. I'm torn. I have a 5/8" 33ft biothane long line and wish I had remembered that biothane is heavier than leather before I ordered, because I'm wishing I had ordered 1/2" in the biothane. In rope I'm not as picky - my Mendota is 1/2" but I could go to the smaller size too.

I don't do a lot of walking in town - and even when I do I'm rarely in close quarters with other people. So I like a 6' leash. I even have an 8' paracord which is nice for hiking when I don't want to have to handle a long line. My long lines are 30' and 33' - I wouldn't want to go longer.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
4', something soft. I adore my soy leash but it's 6' and that's just too long.

I use the same leash for everything.

Members online

No members online now.