Crate Games-Opposition reflex

Maxy24

I've been doing crate games with Tucker again and he was getting good at yer out yer in, turning around and going back in as soon as I let him out. So I tried adding the collar grab part where you pull back on their collar and let them go. The dog is supposed to want to go back in so bad he's struggling against his collar and once you release him he's supposed to dash back in. The dog is supposed to have an "opposition" reflex, so when you push or pull on some part of them they should push or pull against you. But when I do this Tucker throws some calming signals and then stands there looking at me for a minute before hesitantly going back into the crate, so I went back to just doing yer out yer in and he was slow the next time but got back to coming out and quickly going back in. He's just not THAT excited about going back into the crate to fight the collar, it's like he feels if I'm grabbing his collar I want him to stay put, and maybe that's just from leash training. I mean if there was a chipmunk in that crate I'm sure he'd fight the collar but I don't see him doing it for anything less than that lol.

Has anyone else had trouble with this part of the crate games training? Is it really necessary? Do you think he just doesn't value the crate enough yet?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
It could certainly be a question of value, but honestly, Auggie is not much for opposition reflex either. PAYTON is, but Auggie is not. I'm not even talking just in a Crate Games scenario, I'm talking in general... if I push Auggie backwards, except in rare circumstances where he's already INCREDIBLY high, he is more likely to look offended than anything else, LOL. Like "what did you push me for??" And I don't do any collar grabbing looking for strain against the collar with either dog. Payton will strain and lean into his collar so much he'll start wheezing and coughing. Yikes.
So instead of grabbing his collar, try putting your hand in front of his chest and pushing lightly there. Just lightly... I would even try crouching down next to him, shoulders forward, like you're about to take off running... see if that helps.

BostonBanker

What Beanie said. I think with soft dogs, you have to work your butt off to get them to act upon that sort of reflex. I never did Crate Games with Meg, but I think she'd act the same way as Tucker. I'd try working on that skill away from the crate. With Meg, I'll toss a really high value treat a few feet in front of her, hold her back and get her pumped. "ReadyReady? You want that treat?! Ready?! GO!" and then release. It's great for pumping her up before an agility run.

CaliTerp07

With Meg, I'll toss a really high value treat a few feet in front of her, hold her back and get her pumped. "ReadyReady? You want that treat?! Ready?! GO!" and then release. It's great for pumping her up before an agility run.
We do that too (and variations of it). I've worked really hard to build a "go crazy!" command, so that I could pump her up for practice around our yard and train the high that is inevitable at a trial.

Members online

No members online now.