What to do?

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
So, a Golden Retriever showed up at our door earlier. She is gorgeous, knows sit, and lie down, doesn't resource guard, lets our dog take away sticks and stuff from her because she is jealous. I have called the humane society, animal control, they gave me a number for a guy who lost a light tan dog? You would think he would have said golden retriever, cause its pretty obvious, but oh well. I left a message there. I put an ad in the beacon, and will go looking for signs later today to give people a chance to put them up. The guy who lost his though was on orange camp, and that is a pretty long ways from here.

She does seem to either be a puppy or a young adult. She tore apart a plastic bag and swallowed some, how dangerous is that? I guess we have to puppy proof the yard for now. And her legs seem funny, they are wobbly, and she stumbles every so often. How do you tell if a dog has hip dyspepsia? (sp)

Thanks for your help, and I am in awe of anyone who reads though this and understands...

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
We haven't taken her to the vet yet, we thought we would wait a day or two.

lizzybeth727

Just keep an eye out for the plastic bag... I wouldn't be TOO worried but I also would watch her closely.

She could have hip dysplasia, but they usually don't really stumble around... just have a funny gait. The only way to know for sure would be to do an x-ray. I think it's more likely she's just young and clumsy, goldens certainly go through a very clumsy stage. :)

There should be a national golden rescue, you could contact them if you can't find the owner.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
It could be that she was hit by a car, not enough to go damage physically, but it gave her a limp. It could have even happened recently.

Also, DO NOT let her come in contect with your dogs. She could have something that your dogs could catch. It's best to keep them seperated then introduce them after she'd had a vet check. All dogs that come to me don't see my pack till the vet deems him/her healthy.

Post pictures! :)

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
OH no! Suzie has been with her all day. *Bangs head* Gosh I'm dumb. Hopefully she doesn't have anything, she looks really healthy, her nails were just clipped too, and she has a beautiful collar.

P.S. I did happen to post pictures..... :D

Brattina88

If Suzie's healthy & has all of her shots she should be fine :) Kudos to you for taking good care of this pup! Lucky she found you!

Members online